Build Thread King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion - Page 5

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

John,
    Pretty interested in what you think of the vices. Do they produce downward force when clamping like the Angloc design?

Chich

Downloads
    Uploads

Default "Angle Tight" is the Chinese "Angloc"

Chich,

One of the pictures below shows how the angloc jaws operate.

The explanation on how the vise can clamp 2 different size work pieces is a little less clear in the manual.

The main shaft is about 35mm in diameter and has a LH thread for one jaw and a RH thread for the other. The centre jaw is normally fixed but can be removed easily. The main shaft can float backward and forward unless it is locked by the setscrew "A",

Locking "A" presets the jaws to open an even amount from each work piece no matter what the size which would be useful for repeated fixture clamping.

The parallels on the jaws seem accurately ground as you would expect. The Glacern vises did not have the recessed jaws. The jaws can be inverted if the recessed parallel is not required.

John

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vise-manual-p1-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vise-manual-p2-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vise-manual-p3-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vise-manual-p4-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-new-vise-manual-p5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default First part made in new vise

This exhaust flange is for my Honda S600 project. I have had a problem working out the co-ordinates of the tangent lines so that I could hand code the G-code. I got my son to draw it in Solid Works from my hand sketch and then list them off for me. I need a CAM program!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4MPB7QLb_I"]YouTube - ‪Honda S600 exhaust flange.AVI‬‏[/nomedia]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-exhaust-header-flange4-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-sw-capture2-png   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-sw-capture1-png   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-honda-exhaust-flange-6-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-honda-exhaust-flange-7-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-honda-exhaust-flange-8-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New face mill tool

This is a C22 NT30 M12 arbor and a 63mm x 22 x 4T indexable face mill shipped with 10 mitsubishi inserts #F39. From CTC Tools HK. US$151.29 inc. delivery to Adelaide in 10 days. Looks good, hopefully it performs as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-face-mill-tool-1-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-face-mill-tool-2-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-face-mill-tool-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Facing My Honda S600 Inlet port

Had some issues setting up this little cylinder head to face the inlet ports. A large right angle clamped to the tilting table would have made things easier. I needed a table that could swing to 65 degrees. Any how I made do with what I could find. Also needed to hand code a tool path to navigate the raised section. The result was good and the leaking water jacket fixed.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rkj50u0dGw&feature=player_embedded"]‪Honda S600 Cylider Head Inlet Faced .AVI‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-facing-intake-ports-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,
    Haven't checked in for a while looks like you are cooking with gas. You need to give CamBam a go it has a simple drawing program and can do all the GCode for you. I love it. Has a forum of great people that will help you with any problem you may have and the program is really well priced.
    CamBam CNC Software
    Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Servos on Ebay again

I have just seen these AC servo motors on ebay. I can vouch for the quality and service from this ebay supplier. These are the same as I have used on my mill conversion and they have been great.

SAMSUNG 750W SERVO PACK,DRIVER MOTOR 3-AXIS CNC,ROUTER | eBay

I have read a lot of conversion threads where cheap motors have been purchased only to find that they are unreliable and need upgrading. I was fortunate to get the right motors first up and everything just works well.

I have already purchased a 2nd set of 200W motors from this guy for future use on a 4th axis and anything else that may come to mind.

I am able to help anyone considering purchasing a set of these, getting them up and running with Mach3.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-kgrhqn-lke6b066zwzbojt-rqfhw-_3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John
    I've bought the small set (Samsung 200W) of this from the same supplier I believe. For a year now they are in a box, collecting dust and waiting. At some point I've almost decided to sell them.
    Anyway. Now I'm thinking to connect them at first in a PC with Mach 3 just to see how and IF they working. So, I'll be very happy if you have some info regarding any programming parameters that must be done into drivers from PC (via RS232 I believe).
    Also if it's easy for you to send me the connections you have using (just to confirm my own). I can't find here the special cables but I'll try some cheap solutions for the moment.

You mill conversion is very interesting, I'm watching it as it goes..
    Good luck!

Dimitris

my mail : dzolotas@hotmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Dimitris,

I have attached the Mach3 wiring and configuration pages that came with my kit. Do you want to run the motors via Mach3 or with just the Smart Jog software?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-001-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-002-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-003-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-004-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-005-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-006-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-007-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-008-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-009-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-010-jpg  
    Last edited by BMSTECH; 12-07-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello John,
    As I understand it, the SmartJog is a utility from Samsung to test the servo drive+motor and(or) to setup, if required.
    If it's not necessary to change any parameter inside drives, then I want to work only with Mach 3.
    If these drives, can work in 3 different modes (torque, speed, position) as the manual says, the position mode is the default one or must be selected (via SmartJog?)
    In a few words, by connecting the cables between PC-BreakoutBoard-Drives-Motors I'm ready to go, or not? As we do with stepper motors and drives for example?

(Images have been downloaded, thanks a lot for your effort)

Dimitris

Downloads
    Uploads

John,
    Just found out that the belt drive causes the ball screw to not move when you change direction. It is a pretty large amount of free play.
    Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Slack belt?
    Belt sretch?
    Loose pulley?
    Worn pulley teeth?
    Thrust bearing?
    Ball Screw?
    Machine rigidity?
    How much play can you measure at the cutting tool?
    Is it the same amount on X and Y axis?

All of the above must contribute more or less to the problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

pullies are tight,
    Machine is solid,

It could be belt teeth worn and slack belt, haven't measured it yet but I would guess its about .08mm when you reverse direction. I noticed it in the milling jobs and that is why I went looking also when I reversed the table the numers on Mach3 screen changed but the table didn't move.
    Try it and you will see what I mean.

I think we have to direct drive the motors to the ball screws. I am sure your motors would have the power but I am not sure about mine.
    Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Deano,

The 74LS245 driver chip on the mach3 BOB can sink more current than it can source. If it is considered as an Open Collector driver it can be set up with a 2k pull-up resistor to the 24V rail and can drive the differential inputs to the Servo Drive for Clk>PULSE and DIR>SIGN

This is what I have done and it seems to work fine.

Choose positive logic and sign + pulse train and set up the open collector parameter if there is one.

This is how I mounted the resistors

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-interface-box-9-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-bob-drivers-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-open-collector-driver-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

John

thanks mate. all makes sense now. i have used a Homanndesigns BOB so used 180ohm resistors as stated by the manual. also have now upgraded to a ethernet smooth stepper.

tonight i plan to have a play with the p-ot and n-ot and see what i can do with them. last week when i had a go at it the servo drive was going into servo off mode when they were active and then i had to hold the jog key down for a few seconds before the servo drive would turn back on. this ment that when it did turn back on the motor was playing catch up as mach was still outputting signal, this seemed to cause the motor to 'jump' to position and give an overspeed error. (at least this is what i think is happening)

have changed a few settings in mach and upgraged to the smooth stepper since then so will give it another shot tonight,

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave Asked,

I have a new KR-V3000 mill; I have to decide whether to convert everything on the mill to single phase, using VFD's etc, or get 3 phase power on to my shed.

I am no expert. 3 phase Induction motors run smoothly and efficiently compared to single phase motors. A VFD will output 3 phase power from a single phase input with the added advantage of variable speed control. The speed control is achieved by varying the frequency from 50hz.

A 5 hp spindle motor needs 5x750W = 3.75kW which is normally shared over 3phases 1.25kW each with a draw on each phase of about 5 amps.

When a VFD is used, all that power and a little bit more to cover the inefficiency of the VFD is drawn on 1 phase. So maybe 20 amps is required.

A good VFD will work fine and will allow some accurate speed control after you have roughly adjusted the variable pulleys.

Your coolant pump will be happy with the VFD output.

I would prefer to get 3 phase on to the shed if the cost was similar to the VFD price.

I am sure others can advise more on the use of VFD's as I have not had the need to use one.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help

Hello John

Can you help me ?
    I buy a set of SAMSUNG 200W SERVO PACK,DRIVER MOTOR 3-AXIS CNC,ROUTER
    from FA parts , but no way , I cannot put them to work .
    I make connections of servo to motor ( power and encoder )( my encoder has 9 wires ) and them I try to connect with a serial cable to my computer and try to check with SmartJog program but no way , connection fail .
    My computer has serial connector and I make connection with a normal serial cable .
    The servo blinks (alarm )
    My intention is to use these servos with another program, but I want to check them with computer first .
    Can you give an idea , what´s wrong ?
    The serial cable is special ?
    Thanks in advance
    Kind Regards

Fernando from Spain

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BMSTECH View Post
    My latest wiring challenge is to establish communication between my laptop and my Samsung Drive using the Smartjog software. I have wired a 3 wire serial cable as per the Drive Manual. Just RX=>TX and TX=>RX and pin5<=>pin5. I am using a Targus USB to serial adaptor on my laptop which installed as COM7. 9600 baud no parity 1stop as per the drive manual. The TX and RX LEDs on the adaptor flash breifly before the error message to check the cable and the power appears. I have tried many various configurations, with no joy. Question? Is there something odd about these drive's serial interface? Do these USB to serial adaptors work?
    The serial cable I made as per the Drive manual (above) is a Null modem cable or cross-over cable. A standard serial modem cable is wrong.

Connect your drive just to the mains power without the motor or encoder connected. You should be able to communicate with the drive using Smartjog via the serial connection. Your drive will have parrameters set for the previous application that may not match your current requirement. You will need to set up your own parrameters. Take note of how they were set before you change them as a reference.

The drive manual will have the possible causes of the Alarm condition.

Keep trying, it is very unlikely that all your drives are faulty.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot John

I´ll make the cable and try again .
    Regards

Fernando

Downloads
    Uploads

I have purchased a MP-03 Pendant Kit from Homann Designs in Melbourne. See various threads here about construction and functionality.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/mach_s...d_pendant.html

I had only one problem during construction which was that the LCD contrast pot was turned down and there was no display. Thinking that I had a major problem, I contracted Peter Homann and he suggested that this may be the problem. The tiny pot needs to be fully CW to get a display up on the LCD. All functions are now operational on my test machine on the kitchen table. Fun to make and fun to play with. My next stage is to get it playing fair with the USB SmoothStepper on my machine. I see that some have had issues here that can be worked around. Stay tuned.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_4622-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-img_4624-jpg  

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast