Build Thread King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Motor <=> Drive Cables

Started back today terminating the motor end of the drive cables.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-drive-cable-motor-plugs-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-drive-cable-motor-plugs2-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-drive-cables-x-motor-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

John the black cover that goes over the X axis does it have any sort of clamp Mine is only one part and it doesn't look right.
    Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Tony,
    I have some pictures of mine back on page 1.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/785019-post11.html

The X axis table top cover just attachers in the grove formed by the end of the table and the top of the thrust bearing end plate. Mine locates there quite firmly without any clamping. Sits down level with the table. I noticed at Standaco showroom that a 3000 had a tight fitting cover that I couldn't remove to look at the motor. I suspect it was just firmer fitting than mine.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

The following suggested Drive power supply method allowed for a total power cut if there was a serious problem. I was thinking that limit switches could trigger a complete shut down if required.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-power-supply-drives-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Limit switchs.

I get were you are coming from but think it will create more problems then its worth. For example,
    - Triping the stop on the driver means that it will no longer take step & dir from Mach3. If the limits are wired in Mach3 then the same thing will be acheived the step & direction comig from Mach3 will stop anyway.
    - If you go your way you have a chicken and egg problem. If the limits shut the drivers then how are you going to move the table off the limit switch once there hit. So then you have to put a switch in to shut them out so you can move the table which means you will have the same issue when you manually drive off the limit.
    - I get amussed by the way everyone talks abut the need for limit switchs on the travel. If you hit them the sky doesn't fall in and the world doesn't end nothing happens other then you lose your postion count and have to restart. I haven't even bother to install limit switch on my X3 & I won't bother. Its on steppers so I don't see the point.
    - Every driver I have seen both stepper and servo have the same disable ability but I have rarely seen it used. If you said to me I want to connect it into the estop I would say thats a good idea.

- Sorry for the long winded answer but my final point is when you a really cooking with your machine you will want to be able to "Reference Home" and if your limit switchs shut the servo you won't be able to.

John I suggest you just go the normal way then if you are not happy you can change it later.
    Have a great day.
    Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Finished the Y axis motor cables and started to play with the Mach3 interface card. Milled some neat holes in a plastic box to house the card and connectors. Have found an old laptop with a parallel port and have got some basic ports and pins configured to light up some LEDs. Now viewing the tutorial videos. Slowly getting a bit of an idea of how Mach3 works. Still need to make interface card to drive cables and mains power cables for the drives.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-y-axis-motor-cable-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-interface-box-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-interface-laptop-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default estop

Hi John,
    looks like you are getting there. I wired the mill part of my estop for the mill the same way you do, since then I have been thinking that I might picky back a second switch to shut the Mach3. Even considered the possiablity of wiring the motor driver enable to the switch but I need to think that one through a bit more.
    Any way have a great Christmas and keep up the good work.
    Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default wiring

Hi,
    I have bought a similar (smaller) set as yours at 200W to convert my BF20. I'm watching your effort with great interest, and you have my best wishes for success!
    This is my first try in the world of CNC and my steps are a bit nervous. I have the same problem with cables, no one here in Greece had them (keep looking).
    I'm mostly interested in wiring of the drives, grounding, etc. so please post some photos when you finish them. Or any schematic, it will be very helpful.

My best wishes again,
    and have a great, wonderful and Happy New Year

Dimitris

Last edited by dzolotas; 12-30-2010 at 05:56 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wiring

Dimitris,
    Welcome to CNC Zone and I am pleased my thread attracked your first post.
    This is my first attempt at CNC as well. Could I suggest that you start your own build thread and post some pictures of your motors and drives so that I, and others here, can get a better idea of your specific wiring problems. I will subscribe to your thread and be happy to respond quickly with my limited knowledge. I would imagine that most of the wiring that I have worked out is specific to my Mill, Drives and Servos. I am sure we can all learn something from each other. I sourced my cables from Farnell, (now called Element 4), details on previous pages. They were ordered from Farnell Australia but shipped from the UK. Good price and service. Try them online.
    Cheers,
    John

Last edited by BMSTECH; 12-31-2010 at 12:51 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Serial communication with Samsung CSDJ+ Drive

My latest wiring challenge is to establish communication between my laptop and my Samsung Drive using the Smartjog software. I have wired a 3 wire serial cable as per the Drive Manual. Just RX=>TX and TX=>RX and pin5<=>pin5. I am using a Targus USB to serial adaptor on my laptop which installed as COM7. 9600 baud no parity 1stop as per the drive manual. The TX and RX LEDs on the adaptor flash breifly before the error message to check the cable and the power appears. I have tried many various configurations, with no joy. Question? Is there something odd about these drive's serial interface? Do these USB to serial adaptors work?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-servo-drives-bench-test-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,
    My experiance with USB to serial converter cable is that they are a pain in the ass, you problem will most likly be with the cable. I have had cables work on 10 different jobs and then you get the one that doesn't and you need to try a different type.
    My suggestion is look for a higher quaility one, even look for a different or later driver for the cable. Given what you say about the lights its in the hand shanking between the two, could be board rate, parity.
    Not much help thats my 2 cents worth.
    Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Serial communication problems

I have been down the coast at the shack playing with bits on the kitchen table. When I get back to town in about a weeks time I shall have access to a desktop PC with a normal serial port. I will worry about it then if it doesn't work. Will go fishing (or drinking) in the mean time. Happy New Year.
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Servo Motor Jog

The USB to Serial adapter was the problem. As soon as a real serial port on a desktop was used all was good. I have now found a laptop with a real port and it works as well. The video shows the motor test run in the Jog mode using the Smartjog software. All my fabricated cables are working to my relief!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9hO7FkMWrg"]YouTube - Samsung Servo Jog Test Run[/nomedia]

Last edited by BMSTECH; 01-15-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's good.
    Does the laptop have a real serial port, or is it a newer laptop, with a serial port in a pcmcia card that plugs in the side, like these on ebay:
    Laptop Notebook Serial 9 Pin DB9 RS232 I/O PCMCIA Card (eBay item 260714140216 end time 29-Jan-11 21:10:59 AEDST) : Computers

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default A legacy Serial Port

Stewey,
    My daughters Toshiba laptop is a Tecra M10 which has a serial port as standard. The PCMCIA card Serial ports maybe better than the USB type. I'm not needing to find out fortunately. I just wanted a portable machine so that I can continue to play on the kitchen table away at the shack. She will want it back soon for Facebook. I've got about 3 days. I expect I will ultimately need a desktop machine to run my mill as I like the idea of EMC2 and Mesa card interface. I am playing with Mach3 and a parallel interface card emulating stepper motor Pulse and Direction control to get basic operation first.

Those PCMCIA cards are cheap enough and free postage.

Cheers,

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks-I was wondering if anyone might have tried one of those cards, that's all, & whether the serial port shows up as such on the PC, so that the software can find it to send the data via it.. or whether it shows up as a plug-in card with 'something' instead.

Where in Oz are you based- not muddy Qld?

(edited to add OK, I see from your first post it's 'sunny' Adelaide!)

Last edited by Stewey; 01-15-2011 at 04:22 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3 interface with Servo drive

Basic control of the Servo drive by Mach3 has been achieved. It has been useful to be able to monitor what is happening realtime in the drive using the Smartjog utility. I now need to set pulse rates, scaling, encoder ratios, etc.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTPmdcC83sg"]YouTube - Mach3 and Smartjog Monitor[/nomedia]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Revised Limit Switch design

Tony,

My drives have a "Prohibit Forward Rotation" input and a "Prohibit Reverse Rotation" input. I was thinking that the KR limit switches would be best used for operating this function for safety reasons. I then thought that the unused Normally open contact on the KR limit switches could be used to trigger Mach3 for home and travel limits. What do you or others think of this idea? Your drives have similar inputs as well? I will use the Estop and the Servo Alarm to Kill power as per the earlier post.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-limit-switches-1-jpg  
    Last edited by BMSTECH; 02-01-2011 at 04:59 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Limit switches REV.2

No need to change the KR limit switch cables. The Common terminals of the 2 micro switches are both 0V and can be looped via the green wire. The Normally Open terminals are both connected to the Mach3 input and can be looped via the red wire. The 2 Normally Closed terminals remain connected with the Yellow and Black wires. Pic shows initial switch configuration.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-x-axis-limit-switch-box-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3 Interface Box

Rewired my Interface and drive cables with DB15HD connectors and half VGA cables to utilize more of the functionality supported by the Drives. Mounted extra terminals to help tidy up the birds nest.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-interface-box-3-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-interface-box-8-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-interface-box-5-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-interface-box-12-jpg  

King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-interface-box-15-jpg   King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion-mach3-interface-box-14-jpg  

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast