Shape Library and DXF Generator

Thread: Shape Library and DXF Generator

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Shape Library and DXF Generator

Hello All,

I am new to this website and so far it looks like an amazing source for the machine tool world...

I have a question about CAD/CAM software. I am not sure if this should be in the CAM section or the CAD section.

I am looking for a software package that can generate a DXF from a shape library (of common shapes) after you enter in variables that define specific dimensions.

For example, if I wanted a flange plate I would choose a flange plate shape then enter radii for the ID, OD, bolt holes, and number of bolt holes around the circumferance. The software would then generate the dxf shape ready to be tool pathed. But of course the library would have up to dozens of built in shapes to start with.

I know many CAM software packages such as GIBBS, Lantek, Mastercam, etc, have built in shape libraries, and some machine controllers have it built in too.

The problem is I do not need the rest of the CAD/CAM portion, i.e., drawing, nesting, etc. I just need the shape library with DXF generation to save.

I am looking for a stand alone package just for creating the shapes.

Anybody know if there is such an package..?

Regards,
    Joe

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know if there is anything that does exactly what you want, off the shelf, but you could use autolisp or something similar with an Intellicad based cad program.
    I use Ashlar Graphite and it has a built in scripting language that I could set up to do this.
    On the low dollar end of things, you could even use Qcad Professional (around $30) to do this, because it has it's own scripting language that you could use to generate the shapes.
    There are a number of open source packages that could be hammered in place to do this for you too. FreeCad has built in scripting (and you can make nice menus for it too).

If you don't run across any commercial applications that do what you need, let me know and I could direct you a bit on rolling your own.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response...

I would certainly prefer to purchase something directly off the shelf.

I am really surprised something like this isn't readily available. I would think people are always creating standardized shapes and having a software package to do it automatically would be a great benefit and popular.

Regards.