Solved I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)

Thread: I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)

Attached is one of the brushes in question. The first notice of something wrong is when the machine would auto stop, and the motor and encoder and any metal around it is very hot to touch. Since letting the motor cool down all the way, I operated the machine as normal but it would again rise in heat that is abnormal compared to the other gantry drive motors, i.e. none of the other motors got warm.

Then, the z-motor is at the last I can manage to tolerate. Any Z-action and the system would stop, only the z coordinates being yellow in the Kmotion software.

Where can I find locally in the DFW area of a place that may be able to supply the pair of brushes I need?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)-wp_20160808_15_52_54_pro-jpg  
    Last edited by Imaginer; 08-09-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I may need new brushes for a TG-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)

To me that brush does not appear to be worn to the extreme extent that would cause those symptoms.
    I assume this is then a DC brushed servo motor (i.e. not universal or?), have you tried running the motor disconnected from a load and see if heating occurs?
    What make/voltage of the motor?
    Usually worn brushes do not cause overheating, if they were down to the springs, Maybe.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The only identifiable information other than the TC-9 model is the 24VDC, Current 3.5A, 60W Output, and max RPM 2800. I will test without a load to be sure.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)-wp_20160808_16_48_41_pro-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ran the motor disconnected from the belt, the motor ran with no problems. Where can I start to correct the loading issue that may cause the problem? I have the Kmotion 4.32 software and the K2CNC controller box.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)

How does it perform ran on the bench or off load with an automotive battery for an extended period?
    I see you just posted to the effect it was OK.
    Then it certainly looks like loading.
    What is the nature of the motion components after the motor? Ball screw? carriage etc?
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ran the test of the motor as pictured with the belt disconnected, to see if it would be an encoder problem or anything to the box. I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)-wp_20160808_17_25_39_pro-jpg

The axis is ball screw as I received the machine. Attached is the z-axis's configuration. Might be a bit dirty? But before it was able to drive up and down, but after some time, the motor would heat. I can restart the controller from the e-stop state of the z-axis telling the controller to stop responding and would run for a bit before the z-axis keeps stopping the controller, and of course the motor and anything it is in contact with would be warm.

I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)-wp_20160808_17_20_14_pro-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks as though you have a gas cylinder as a balancer, is this OK?
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, there is an air cylinder that is in the pictures. I am not sure if my compressor also feeds into it or not. If so, does this mean I have to adjust the pressure to compensate? The last image is what the pressure is adjusted, but I was under the impression that this is primarily for the tool release and tool holder grabbing process for the spindle.

However, on thinking the design through, the air compressor also delivers to the rails and is integrated amongst the frame in delivery. Neither any areas that I can see there would be a obvious leak or breaks in seals.

There is not any noticeable indication of a leak when I looked around, and would probably be obvious by the disturbance of the skin dust. Other than paint chipping off at a bit of the top part of the air column, I notice no damage or any indications of leakages.

It seems that I may need to adjust the pressure to be higher with the knob. Am I correct in this analysis?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)-wp_20160808_22_31_13_pro-jpg   I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)-wp_20160808_22_31_19_pro-jpg   I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)-wp_20160808_22_31_31_pro-jpg   I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)-wp_20160808_22_32_36_pro-jpg  

I may need new brushes for a TC-9 servo motor (KG4925HD)-wp_20160808_22_33_52_pro-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the date on the air cylinder "December 2003" or "March 2012"? If it's 2003, it's most likely dead by now. If it's 2012, then it may or may not be dead. I would take it off and check it.

The "air cylinder" is not connected to the compressor, it's just a gas spring filled with compressed air at the factory. It is not serviceable and must be replaced when the air leaks out (which usually happens within a span of 5-10 years).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It looks not promising as I interpreted the date as 2003.... **** K2CNC for supplying a dated part.... that expires over time!

Though, wishful, if somehow suspaparts somehow dates things differently....

Either way, it seems most likely that this is the culprit, as the gantry z moves without any resistance before the z-motor quits. Unfortunately, said part is listed on backorder.... **** things all....

Is this one of those "car tires" regular consumable items... I was under the impression that these do not tend to "blow out" and kept their seals.

Downloads
    Uploads

They are generally filled with compressed nitrogen gas, which per post #9, leaks out over time.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have one ordered directly from the source of the springs. But still, I would have liked it if I can secure a local provider, and a local provider of brushes (just in case) of situations for my machine.

It is now at the point where it stops on any up Z operation, but more than likely, the air compression spring would solve any of it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since I currently have a 25lb spring, can I safely use a gas spring rated at 30lbs? Would it be detrimental to use a gas spring that is over what is initially given in balancing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Imaginer View Post
    Since I currently have a 25lb spring, can I safely use a gas spring rated at 30lbs? Would it be detrimental to use a gas spring that is over what is initially given in balancing?
    Considering the fact that the force of the gas spring decreases over time (as the air slowly leaks out), I would say a 30lbs spring should work OK. Do you have a way to disengage the drive screw so you can check how well the Z-axis weight is balanced?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Considering the fact that the force of the gas spring decreases over time (as the air slowly leaks out), I would say a 30lbs spring should work OK. Do you have a way to disengage the drive screw so you can check how well the Z-axis weight is balanced?
    I can disconnect the z motor from the belt that leads to the ball screw. So I can run the motor without any belt to the motor axis. I only am able to find another 28 inch extended spring at 40lbs. Would I be also fine with that?

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, 40lbs is a 60% increase from the original 25lbs. I personally would not do it.