Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build

I've got a build thread going on the Joe's Forums and I am going to put a mini thread here as well. I've been wanting to build a CNC router for at least 5 years now. I've finally got all the other projects out of the way and have started on my Hybrid build. I've got everything ordered sans a few small items. Here are some pictures of some of my components and the start of my table.

Controller/Drive will be made of the following components

-54V 1000W power supply
    -4 x Gecko 203V's
    -PMDX 122 BOB
    -4 x Hobby CNC 405oz-in Steppers

I am in Canada and it was fairly expensive to get everything that I needed from the US. I did order expensive Stepper Drivers (Gecko) and they cost me $800+ CAN. I have ordered almost everything and my total so far is $3800 CAN. I have budgeted $4500 - $5000 CAN.

Will add more details later...

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build-cimg0740-jpg   Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build-bearings-jpg   Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build-cimg0737-jpg   Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build-cimg0741-jpg  

Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build-cimg0733-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool, cant wait to see how much it'll end up cost a fellow Canadian, I will probably be doing to same machine soon I hope, but might use the 540,s with 425 oz steppers, would save about $500.00, I don't know if it would make a diff from the 203,s you are using with the smaller steppers, maybe some one can tell me. Good job so far. Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm looking forward to watching a fellow Canadians build both here and on Joe's forums.

Can't wait for more build progress.

Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
    I've got a build thread going on the Joe's Forums and I am going to put a mini thread here as well. I've been wanting to build a CNC router for at least 5 years now. I've finally got all the other projects out of the way and have started on my Hybrid build. I've got everything ordered sans a few small items. Here are some pictures of some of my components and the start of my table.

Controller/Drive will be made of the following components

-54V 1000W power supply
    -4 x Gecko 203V's
    -PMDX 122 BOB
    -4 x Hobby CNC 405oz-in Steppers

I am in Canada and it was fairly expensive to get everything that I needed from the US. I did order expensive Stepper Drivers (Gecko) and they cost me $800+ CAN. I have ordered almost everything and my total so far is $3800 CAN. I have budgeted $4500 - $5000 CAN.

Will add more details later...
    Looking good! You are off to a fine start.

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by grahamshere View Post
    Cool, cant wait to see how much it'll end up cost a fellow Canadian, I will probably be doing to same machine soon I hope, but might use the 540,s with 425 oz steppers, would save about $500.00, I don't know if it would make a diff from the 203,s you are using with the smaller steppers, maybe some one can tell me. Good job so far. Graham
    The G540 needs motors with Bipolar parallel inductance of 4mH or less that require 3.5A or less. What 425 motors are you planning to use?

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the xylotex 3 axis with the 425's that came with the drivers, but ill need one more motor I guess. Graham

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking great man. A few of the parts have me interested. What are the bolts pictured with the bearings. Looks to be 8 of them. They seem to be smooth on the outside with a whole down the middle. I'm thinking they go with the bearings but I'm not sure.

Also, I see you have a ton of llittle rectangular aluminum spacers with a hole in the center. What are they used for and where do you buy them?

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the xylotex 3 axis with the 425's that came with the drivers, but ill need one more motor I guess. Graham
    The Z 425s Need 90 Volts to develop best speed in Bipolar Parallel. Your rapids will suffer if you use this motor with the 50V G540. You COULD use one on the Z axis though.

A better choice would be the Keling KL23H276-28-4B or KL23H284-35-4B.

http://kelinginc.net/StepperMotorDriver.html

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    Looking great man. A few of the parts have me interested. What are the bolts pictured with the bearings. Looks to be 8 of them. They seem to be smooth on the outside with a whole down the middle. I'm thinking they go with the bearings but I'm not sure.

Also, I see you have a ton of llittle rectangular aluminum spacers with a hole in the center. What are they used for and where do you buy them?

Those are concentric and eccentric bushings. The eccentric bushings are used to adjust the tension of the bearing against the raik, The rectangular spacers are actually steel unistrut nuts. The are used for attaching pieces of unitstrut together.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info Mr Reamer, ill look into the Keling drives, seems like some good products there.

Hey Xnaron, I was wondering what drive screws are you going to use, Are you looking for speed. I,ve been using 8 tpi 4 start for my little Solysylva and I'm getting over 200 imp on my Y axis, so it,s something to think about. Seems the only place us Canadian,s can get them is at rotons, but there good priced. You do lose a bit of resolution but with your drives it should be ok with 10 micro stepping.

Graham

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Xnaron, I was wondering what drive screws are you going to use, Are you looking for speed. I,ve been using 8 tpi 4 start for my little Solysylva and I'm getting over 200 imp on my Y axis, so it,s something to think about. Seems the only place us Canadian,s can get them is at rotons, but there good priced. You do lose a bit of resolution but with your drives it should be ok with 10 micro stepping.

Graham
    I am using these 10 TPI on the x and y http://www.mcmaster.com/#98940a020/=qxwwo and these 8 TPI on the Z http://www.mcmaster.com/#98940a623/=qxxr9 They are the black oxide upgraded with higher hardness and tensile strength rating than the screws that are on the Bill of Materials for the machine.

I bought them from a member of Joe's forums. I just received them today. I should be able to cut comfortably at 140IPM with these from what I have read. I would rather have accuracy than speed but if I could get the speed without losing appreciable accuracy I would go for it. I am on a learning curve with this and am trying to stick to the plans. I am doing a few recommended mods. Tell me about rotons I have never heard of them. If I upgrade my screws in the future I would love to have a source to check out.

Brendin

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok just checked out www.roton.com ... they have quite the selection and have the matching anti-backlash nuts to go with the screws. I like the way their website is laid out. Much easier to find things by category.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lead screws are here...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build-cimg0753-jpg   Joe's Hybrid - Xnaron's Build-cimg0752-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will be interesting if you do get 140 imp with those screws, I could only get 40 imp at most with mine when I used them but I have a lesser drives than you. What will you be cutting with the machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Will be interesting if you do get 140 imp with those screws, I could only get 40 imp at most with mine when I used them but I have a lesser drives than you. What will you be cutting with the machine?
    There is a video on youtube where Brian Jog's his machine at 360IPM with these screws. Check it out here "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KJ-qIW1s3A&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - Jogging at 360ipm Are you sure we are talking about the same screws?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

10 tpi 1/2 acme, that,s what I was using and could only get 40 ipm, are you sure Brian is using those screws because I haven't herd of any one getting those speeds with those screws, first you would get tons of whipping and that didn't look like there was any whipping. I would double check to see. Graham

Downloads
    Uploads

10 tpi 1/2 acme, that,s what I was using and could only get 40 ipm, are you sure Brian is using those screws because I haven't herd of any one getting those speeds with those screws, first you would get tons of whipping and that didn't look like there was any whipping. I would double check to see. Graham

I have talked to many builders and 140IPM is a comfortable cutting speed with those screws. It should be noted that there are different type of 1/2" 10TPI acme screws. The ones I bought have a speed ratio of 5:1 and have fast travel. Checkout the specs here. http://www.mcmaster.com/#98940a020/=r7rtt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh ok, its a multi start, similar to the ones I have, Not sure how may starts you have,could be five, then yes you would get way better speed than 140 if you wanted, I thought they were single start. sorry.With the gecko's you'll be rocking.Cant wait to see what your machine can do, hope you make some video,s of it cutting when done. Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Screw Specs

1018 Carbon Steel Acme Threaded Rod 1/2" -10 5-Start(2tpi) #99030A704
    Material Type Steel
    Finish Plain
    Grade Ungraded
    Type Precision Acme Threaded Rods
    Steel Type C1018 Alloy Steel
    System of Measurement Inch
    Acme Size 1/2"-10
    Starts 5
    Thread Direction Right Hand Thread
    Thread Fit 2C (Self-Centering)
    Turns Per Inch 2
    Length 6'
    Lead Accuracy 0.007" or better per foot
    Minimum Tensile Strength 70,000 psi
    Hardness 167 Brinell
    Specifications Met Not Rated

I've jogged at 400ipm with the same screws, but I'm only comfortable cutting around 120ipm.
    I can't wait to see Brendin cutting also. I'm pretty sure he'll be the 4th Canadian to have a completed the Joe's 4x4 Hybrid build.

Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Paul, how come 120 ipm, What do you cut?
    What will you be cutting Brendin ? Hope I'll be the 5th to build but who knows.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast