Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log

Downloads
    Uploads

Wheh, I just got my Hobby CNC board setup and tested for the +5VDC - Success! Read +5.05VDC and I'm still alive. I hate firing up any electronic part for the first time, definitely get a little pucker factor working when you go to throw the switch

Sorry for not updating - but as of right now I have the case fully built, machine fully dry fitted and ROLLING!, custom table built (2x4 style :rainfro, and the Hobby CNC almost finished. I have pictures of everything, I'll post them in the morning/afterrnoon tomorrow. I'm too tired, need sleep

www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

This morning I got my Hobby CNC board all soldered up and ready to roll - however, from what everyone has experienced with the JoesCNC, would I be better off going with 1/2 or 1/4 step setting on my board (I'm using the 305oz 3A steppers, with mach 3, and the standard 1/2-10 screw)? Any suggestions??

Here are some pics to update the build log:
    Pic 1: Dry fitted and sliding oh so nice!
    Pic 2: Lumber for the support table I built.
    Pic 3: That support table won't win any beauty contests, but is square and rock solid (I put locking castor wheel on one end to make moving the machine around the shop a lot easier for cleaning and whatnot).
    Pic 4: Here's the Plexiglass case I made for the electronics - 5/8" Lexan, strong enough to take a NHL slapshot (that part still to be tested)
    Pic 5: I also added a hindged/locking top to the case for additions/repairs/etc. I made the case 13.25"x13.25"x5" ID to allow for future additions (C11 BOB from CNC4PC, etc).
    Pic 6: Finished soldering up the HCNCP board.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-img_1331-jpg   Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-img_1329-jpg   Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-img_1333-jpg   Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-img_1334-jpg  

Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-img_1335-jpg   Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-img_1336-jpg  
    www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Got the motors spinning!!

After hooking everything up, double/triple check, then getting nothing to spin I finally got them humming because I didn't put the number one into the port setting

www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh so CLOSE! Skip past the boring painting and minor tweaks to get everything aligned, here is where I am at - have the X and Y motor's wired (but the 14ft of 6strand, 22awg wire that Hobby cnc gave isn't enough I am going to order the 24ft roll from them and finish wiring up the z motor and add quick disconnects to each axis motor (just in case I move...)).

Outside of the painting and general motor wiring I am currently setting up the limit switches and running the cable - I wanted to get some echain for my machine, but after looking around at different setups on the site I decided to just go with the basic articulating/rolling tube setup.

Once everything is wired I need to tune the motors, I've done some jogging with Mach3 and the Y and Z move well, but at full speed the X tends to bind (the 10TPI rod bounces quite a bit, is that too loose/not tight enough?). Any suggestions for settings in Mach3 with the HCNC Pro board and 305oz motors? I have the board set at 1/4 step at the moment, but might change it, then used the 200x10x4 equation (so 8000) as the velocity - does that seem too fast?

Basically everything is going AWESOME! But if anyone has some tips/good starting points for the motors I am open to all suggestions for velocity/acceleration/steps/etc that you have to offer - not set points, bust just a good starting point to help me get the most out of the standard ACME 10TPI screws until I can upgrade to the 5starts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-img_1340-jpg  
    www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

8000 steps per is correct, i would start vel. of 60 and accel, of 5

joe

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been messing with the motors and getting them all tuned up the past few days. The Y and Z are running very smooth at about 110ipm, so thumbs up on that . But the X-axis has some whip to it and runs fairly smooth at 75ipm. While it will work for now, I'm going to be adjusting it to get it setup - I measured the rod to table, and there appears to be ~1/8"-1/16" offset from end to end, so I'm guessing that is where I'm getting the wiggle.

For right now I think that I will just upgrade the X-axis rod to the 1/2"-10 5 Start acme rod, but I just wanted to double check that this is the correct one in terms of finish, handedness, etc.

Part # 99030A704
    www.mcmaster.com

Thanks much in advance!

www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

It's ALIVE, BUWAHA!

Well sort of, I made some chips today but I am still waiting on my bits to come from McMaster - so I just drilled some holes with a 1/4" bit. All the holes came out perfectly spaced and straight so I'm definitely happy :rainfro:

I am also waiting on the 1/2"-10 5 Start rod from Mcmaster and the DumpsterCNC antibacklash nut; however, this might be a stupid question, but where can I find a locking nut like the one shown below (borrowed from Garcwell's thread).

Could someone please let me know the correct term for that locking nut, or where I could find one for the machine??

Thanks again all for the help, and a big thank you to Joe! You're the man!

www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

He made those from the standard acme nuts, drill and tap them.

you can also buy the clamps from dumpster especially if you are getting the 5 start screws.

joe

Downloads
    Uploads

You won't find any nuts for multiple start screws. Go with Joe's advice and get the dumpster clamps.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Right on! Thanks much for the info, the thread clamps have been ordered (just wish I would've put them through when I bought my anti-backlash setup the other day...oh well)

www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Bits and 5 start rod came in the mail today - used the bits and made the FIRST cut. Stoked on the results :rainfro::rainfro:

For the cuts I ran it pretty slow, used a 60* v-bit to just barely etch the surface, and cut into some pretty dense scrap plywood - machine ran smooth as silk (a little whipping on the x when jogging, but that is be taken care of when the antibacklash nuts get here). Not bad for the first cut though, and I am definitely excited to start fully utilizing the capabilities of the machine

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-img_1362-jpg   Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-img_1358-jpg  
    www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

looking good

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick question, since I am upgrading the X axis to the 1/2"-10 5 Start do I have to change my 'Steps Per' setting to 1600? (200 X 2 turns per inch x 4)?

Can someone just check my math/logic on that one - I've never worked with multi start screws before.

Thanks much!

www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

A whole heap of cutting/messing around went on again today. Got the 5 start installed on the X axis (and now regret it, because after seeing how much of an upgrade that gave to the machine in terms of performance I have now seen the light and MUST upgrade the Y and Z axis as well (just need to save up the moola for the other rod/backlash nuts/thread clamps ).

Here's a few pics of the 'Bullshead' cutout from the Vcarve demo, came out better than I had hope for a true first cut (I had to edit the toolpath to fit my 60* vbit).

More pics to come once I get everything fully dialed in!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-cut1-jpg   Sinkoumn's JoesCNC2006 Build Log-cut2-jpg  
    www.NeustonBoards.com
    Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkoumn View Post
    A whole heap of cutting/messing around went on again today. Got the 5 start installed on the X axis (and now regret it, because after seeing how much of an upgrade that gave to the machine in terms of performance I have now seen the light and MUST upgrade the Y and Z axis as well (just need to save up the moola for the other rod/backlash nuts/thread clamps ).

Here's a few pics of the 'Bullshead' cutout from the Vcarve demo, came out better than I had hope for a true first cut (I had to edit the toolpath to fit my 60* vbit).

More pics to come once I get everything fully dialed in!
    Very impresive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12