Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa

I think it's time I start my build log.

So far I all the parts except the drive screws and my kit from Joe.
    I'm going to try to get the electronics and rail slides ready before I get my kit in the next few weeks.

As for my drive screws, I'm still trying to figure out everything I need for a 1/2-10 2 start system before I order that stuff.

I have some pictures and I'll put together my list of parts in my next post.
    I'm trying out some different parts so hopefully everything comes together in the end.

Flyon

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's my part list so far.

• Joes CNC Model 2006 Kit - Joe
    • Screws and stuff - BoltDepot (tip put 'green hat' in for code and they'll send you green hat)
    • L-channel and hardened bar - Enco
    • Steppers - 425 oz-in - Keling Technology, Inc
    • Drivers - KL- 5042 - Keling Technology, Inc
    • Power Supply - 48V/5A - Keling Technology, Inc
    • Software - Mach 3 and still looking
    • Breakout Board - C10 - CNC4PC -Maybe looking to go with C11 Multifunction CNC Board later
    • Courage and Product Support - www.cnczone.com

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnccomputer1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A quick update.
    You would think that after collecting computer parts for twenty years I would have atleast one parallel cable. I have acouple of ones with CENTRONICS on one, but no straight parallel ends. I'll source one this weekend.

Like most people I've been trying to make some room in my garage. I've already made one trip to the dump, and need to made another trip. I'm still atleast two weeks out for my kit from Joe, so I think I'm doing fine. I know once I get it I won't be doing anything else. So need to make some room.

I still need my drive screws, I was thinking 1/2 2start-10 screws, but I see some are using 1/2 2start-8 screws. Any suggestions?

Also, I've seen some knobs on the ends of dual ended stepper motors. Anyone know where I can get some of those? I think it's just 3/8 so maybe just some car stero knobs?

Finally, I've been thinking of new pendant ideas. I've found a 3d mouse and also I have a pocketpc with touch screen and wifi that I could use. Both would probably require some coding, but I've looked at the Mach 3's SDK and it looks like it might be easy to do. I'd like to do more cutting then programming, but I am a programmer. The 3d mouse would also come in handy for solidworks I bet.

https://3dconnexionstore.com/itemDet...tmNo=56826423N

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by flyon View Post
    A quick update.
    You would think that after collecting computer parts for twenty years I would have atleast one parallel cable. I have acouple of ones with CENTRONICS on one, but no straight parallel ends. I'll source one this weekend.
    Had the same problem. Threw away a whole box of Centronics cables that I was saving for... nothing aparently.

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick update.
    I got a parallel cable last weekend and all week I've been trying to hook up atleast one stepper motor just to watch something happen. But with the summer my kids have been staying up later then normal and I haven't gotten anything done.

But today I got a motor to turn. I had some problems with Mach 3, mostly because I've never really used it before. Once I thought I had the settings right and it still didn't work, I restarted Mach and it started working.

I'm going to try to cut and drill the rail slides tomorrow. Also, I still need to figure out what drive screws I'm going to use and get them ordered. Other then that I'm just waiting for my kit to arrive.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick update.
    I got a parallel cable last weekend and all week I've been trying to hook up atleast one stepper motor just to watch something happen. But with the summer my kids have been staying up later then normal and I haven't gotten anything done.

But today I got a motor to turn. I had some problems with Mach 3, mostly because I've never really used it before. Once I thought I had the settings right and it still didn't work, I restarted Mach and it started working.

I'm going to try to cut and drill the rail slides tomorrow. Also, I still need to figure out what drive screws I'm going to use and get them ordered. Other then that I'm just waiting for my kit to arrive.
    Flyon,

The waiting is the hardest part, well maybe next to finding time to play!
    Congratulations, it's fun when the motors turn for the first time!!!

When I first got involved with my kit most everyone was using the 1/2-10 ACME rod. Now a lot of people are going with the 1/2-8 2 start.
    You can find the anti-backlash nuts and other hardware at: http://www.dumpstercnc.com/
    I've purchased the 1/2-8 2s rod but have not installed them yet.
    Jay has installed the 1/2-8 and increase his stepper size also, check out his site at: http://www.cncjay.com/ and his build here at the Zone.
    A few people are using the Shuttle Pro V2. David DaCosta was using the Shuttle and may still be using it, however he built his own pendant, if you haven't seen it yet, check out his log. He did a great job, it's very nice!
    Also if you do a search for "Shuttle" in the Mach forums you find info and a plug-in for it.
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com has some hand wheels and if you do a search on the internet you see places like Reid Supply has a large selection and I believe McMaster Carr carries some as well.

Can wait to see your progress!!

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been busy in the last week or so. I received my Joes CNC Model 2006 about two weeks ago. Since then I've been glueing and painting. Last night I've finished painting and moved on to cleaning up the rails. I took someones suggestion here and picked up some drum sanding kits from Harbor Freight. I think it's called the 20 piece drum sanding kit (45006) ~$8.00 each. With the sanding kit I was able to place the drum in the ends of the pipes and then tighten till they locked in the pipe. I then attached my drill to one end with the other in in a piece of wood with a 1/4 hole. In about 10 minutes I had a 'clean' pipe. My pipes do have some scrathes that run the length of the pipe, but I think I can rotate the pipe to avoid them. I have lots of pictures, I'll try to upload with I get home tonight.

Flyon

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey flyon, we need pics

I live just south of you in Tigard OR. I am thinking very hard about building my own design or a joe2006 CNC router. I wonder if you need any help during assembly? If you do I would love to be a helping hand just so I can see how this all goes together, and how every thing looks in person. Pics are good but no substitute for viewing with your own eyes.

Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

flyon and nlancaster,

I live just south of you both in Woodburn, OR. I am cutting out parts to either build a joe2006 or modify my existing router. Give a holler if I can help.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sure, I'll send you my contact info. Let's shoot for next weekend. My next steps are to get the z and Y axis assembled. I'm going to spend the rest of this week cleaning up the rest of the pipes. I haven't started the x axis (big) ones yet.

One over-sight I've made so far is the table. I don't have one yet. I could use an old dining room table I have, or better yet I saw someone buy one that is made from angle iron. It looked really nice, also you add cabinetry on it. I'm going to look into that one.

I'm having some problems posting the pictures. I'll see about maybe using some third party to host them.

Flyon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pictures

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-5-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-9-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-12-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-22-jpg  

Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-26-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-27-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-23-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-28-jpg  

Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-29-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-30-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-cnc-086-31-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Flyon,

You rock I would love to take a look at your machine and give you a helping hand. Send an email to "sendittonick-AT-verizon.net" replace -AT- with @ My weekends are Friday and Saturday, so let me know when I could come over and help/look

For what ever machine I build eventually I was thinking of useing some old kitchen cabinets as the table with build in storage. Might have to reinforce the corners to hold the weight but they could probably be found cheep and in millions of different configurations.

nick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

nice photos, your build looks like it is making great headway!

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure, I'll send you my contact info. Let's shoot for next weekend. My next steps are to get the z and Y axis assembled. I'm going to spend the rest of this week cleaning up the rest of the pipes. I haven't started the x axis (big) ones yet.

One over-sight I've made so far is the table. I don't have one yet. I could use an old dining room table I have, or better yet I saw someone buy one that is made from angle iron. It looked really nice, also you add cabinetry on it. I'm going to look into that one.

I'm having some problems posting the pictures. I'll see about maybe using some third party to host them.

Flyon
    That table was from Rockler.

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Flyon,

It was great to meet you and Nick today. Thanks for inviting me over. I really enjoyed seeing a Joe's kit up close and personal. It looks like you are doing a great job so far. If I can help just give me a holler.

It is often easy to nit pick someone else's work, but having built my own, I am even more impressed with Joe's design.

Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for inviting us over. Joe's Machine does look very good. If you need a hand with any assembly let me know. It look alot bigger in person

Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

So ya'll (texas slang) were able to see the machine 1st hand? Hope you like the design, It is unbelieveable how many people have built the machine, either with a kit or on their own, I really enjoy seeing a new machine pop up and the mods people have implimented on them. And it has its own section here on the forum for support.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe any idea on the kit count? I wouldn't be suprised if you have hit 100 yet. There has to be at least 50 of these built and running; I've seen random joe06 designs on youtube that haven't even been logged here at the zone. Lots of lurkers I suppose!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nick and Alan, thanks for coming over. Since I'm a beginner it was nice to meet and learn cnc tips from you two. I'll admit I was lost sometimes when you two were talking. There's a lot I still gotta learn.

In the last few days I've been fitting together pieces and cutting and drilling the skates. I've been waiting on the skates because I thought it they were going to be hard to do. Turns out they weren't really hard at all. One question though, should I drill then tap the alumium for the screws? I seem to remember someone did that, thats the way I'm heading so far. Anyways, show have the skates done tonight either way.

I'm really surprise how fast things have come together in the last few days. I'll post some pictures tonight.

Flyon

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    Joe any idea on the kit count? I wouldn't be suprised if you have hit 100 yet. There has to be at least 50 of these built and running; I've seen random joe06 designs on youtube that haven't even been logged here at the zone. Lots of lurkers I suppose!
    Yea i have seen a couple i did not know about, If we see some copies or such we all know it originated from the CNCZone.... lol

I really do not know how many so far i believe all in all over 50, with kits and other making their own.

Joe

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast