Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The motors sound good with turning, I'm thinking that if the motor comes to rest in a micro step it has to work harder to hold that position..?? I'll also research what resonance is, I'm not for sure what that means. I think I know what whip means now, it when your drive screw moves up and down right as it's spinning, kind of like a guitar string. It's hard to know what some stuff is till you see it then you can say, yeah ok I get it now. I already have a compression spring to try and fix that. I also have some angle iron for the gantry sides to stiffen it. Guess this means I'm in the adjusting/tuning phase.

Wife wants me to cut some Christmas stuff, I ain't even done and she already wants stuff. Guess I should stop showing her what it can do.

Flyon

Downloads
    Uploads

Flyon must be having fun playing with his new machine, because I havent seen a post from him in awhile

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Been trying to figuring out the process of going from drawings to g-code. Also, been spending time looking through some of the other forums lately. I've also been trying to put together a dust collection system. That has got be to one of the first things you cut. Once you try to cut anything you realize that you need to have a good dust collector.

I just got my normally closed limit switches the other day, and some shielded 2-22 wire. Going to wire them up this weekend.

I have cut a few things to try it out. The first thing was a Merry Christmas sign. It took 4 tries to get it right. The first try I used a 1/4 vbit from a route bit collection I've had for years. I watched it cut for awhile then went in the house, a little while later, I walked into a garage full of smoke. It must of lost some steps and the bit was cutting way to deep and wasn't moving. I lucked out big time. Went out and got a carbide tipped 1/4 vbit. The next try I watched it the whole time, it lost some steps again. Figured out I had set the amps way to low. Set them for 2.2amps and tried again. It did ok, but I tried again with a 5/8 vbit and it was much better.

I'll post some pictures later.
    Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by flyon View Post
    I have cut a few things to try it out. The first thing was a Merry Christmas sign. It took 4 tries to get it right. The first try I used a 1/4 vbit from a route bit collection I've had for years. I watched it cut for awhile then went in the house, a little while later, I walked into a garage full of smoke. It must of lost some steps and the bit was cutting way to deep and wasn't moving. I lucked out big time. Went out and got a carbide tipped 1/4 vbit. The next try I watched it the whole time, it lost some steps again. Figured out I had set the amps way to low. Set them for 2.2amps and tried again. It did ok, but I tried again with a 5/8 vbit and it was much better.

I'll post some pictures later.
    Russ

One thing you have to be sure of is get good quality bits, cheap bits will hinder the machine.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some of pictures of my first few cuts.
    1. Merry Christmas - Finally got it to cut. It took 3 or 4 tries.
    2. My first cut. You can see it burned the MDF.
    3. You can see the dust collector I just built. I haven't used it yet.
    4. My wiring job.
    5. Wiring.

I've cut some aluminum to mount the limit switches, but still haven't mounted them.

Some of issues were:
    1. Using crappy bits
    2. Amperage on controller was too low
    3. Using too small of a bit for the job
    4. Not having a dust collector
    5. Not thinking I needed a mounting system to hold stuff

Well it looks like I have more stuff to do.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-copy-20071225-183-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-copy-20071225-188-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-copy-20071225-189-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-copy-20071225-201-jpg  

Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-copy-20071225-202-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, nice work! That looks really great. I can't wait until I can make my first cut! I have found that with MDF, some form of dust collection is definitely a must. The dust from the MDF just gets packed in the grooves and is not healthy for the bit or the cut. But everything looks nice so keep up the good work.

Downloads
    Uploads

you may want to make some vertical cuts in the dust skirt to give it some flex when the Z-Axis is descending.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some of pictures of my first few cuts.
    1. Merry Christmas - Finally got it to cut. It took 3 or 4 tries.
    2. My first cut. You can see it burned the MDF.
    3. You can see the dust collector I just built. I haven't used it yet.
    4. My wiring job.
    5. Wiring.

I've cut some aluminum to mount the limit switches, but still haven't mounted them.

Some of issues were:
    1. Using crappy bits
    2. Amperage on controller was too low
    3. Using too small of a bit for the job
    4. Not having a dust collector
    5. Not thinking I needed a mounting system to hold stuff

Well it looks like I have more stuff to do.
    More to do but you're getting there. Looking good.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I don't know why it took so long to install the home/limit switches. I finally hooked up some of the home switches last night. I hit the ref home button in Mach 3 and at first x tried to reference home in positive, so I fixed that with one click in the 'home/limits' menu. Then I hit the ref home button again, and this time it worked. I must say I wish I would of hooked up the home switch earlier. I have my home switches in place, now I need to install the 3 limits switches. I went ahead and just predrilled then screwed my home switches directly into the side of the MDF. I kept playing around with more secure ways but just wanted it done. I will unscrew the screws and apply glue into the holes later. They seem very secure.

I've also started to look how I'm going to hold stuff down. Here are the options I see right now.
    1. Rip mdf into 12" strips and lay t-track between them.
    2. Mill out slots in MDF and install t-track in slots.
    3. Mill out slots and cross slots in MDF and install t-track in slots.
    4. Mill out t-track in MDF using t-track bit.
    5. Install a vaccum system.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
    Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ideally you want a vacuum but that's what everyone wants! I would go with a similar thing as joe is using in his 4x4 now. He posted a photo today. If you're like me I tend to cut in the same general area on my machine 75% of the time. If you wear out one area of the spoil board more than the rest you can simply slide one 12" out instead of replacing the entire thing where you might not be wearing it all out consistently. It's also an easier way of doing it since there is less machining to do, rip screw/bolt down, insert tracks and screw them down.

Nono

Great thread. Sorry I missed it this long

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I don't know why it took so long to install the home/limit switches. I finally hooked up some of the home switches last night. I hit the ref home button in Mach 3 and at first x tried to reference home in positive, so I fixed that with one click in the 'home/limits' menu. Then I hit the ref home button again, and this time it worked. I must say I wish I would of hooked up the home switch earlier. I have my home switches in place, now I need to install the 3 limits switches. I went ahead and just predrilled then screwed my home switches directly into the side of the MDF. I kept playing around with more secure ways but just wanted it done. I will unscrew the screws and apply glue into the holes later. They seem very secure.

I've also started to look how I'm going to hold stuff down. Here are the options I see right now.
    1. Rip mdf into 12" strips and lay t-track between them.
    2. Mill out slots in MDF and install t-track in slots.
    3. Mill out slots and cross slots in MDF and install t-track in slots.
    4. Mill out t-track in MDF using t-track bit.
    5. Install a vaccum system.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
    Russ

Flyon,
    You left out the easiest one. Screw the work to the spoil board. Thats what I have been doing until I get around to creating a proper hold down.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    Flyon,
    You left out the easiest one. Screw the work to the spoil board. Thats what I have been doing until I get around to creating a proper hold down.
    Hadn't thought of that. When I cut that Christmas sign I used clamps. I had to watch that the gantry didn't hit the clamps. I had a long piece of MDF so it wasn't a problem. I did pick up some double-sided tape. I haven't tried it yet, but had heard of the mess that it creates.

I skimmed the top of the table last night. It was primed before, now its half prime, half bare MDF. I'm thinking of sealing it, or maybe just skimming off all of the primer then using 1 part glue to 1 part water on it. BTW, I used that mix on the Christmas sign and sanded, it created a very flat surface. It felt like cold metal it was so flat. It only took 2 coats if I remember right.

This was also the first time I've used that duct collector fixture. It didn't work that good. The vacuum put the sides in and blocked the port. Got some ideas to improve it.

Russ

Last edited by flyon; 01-07-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used 1/2" mdf as my top, so when I cut the top I cut nearly 1/4" off. I then added a second piece of 1/2" to act as the spoil board. I cut it so it would overhang the sides as much as possible to keep dust from the bearings as much as possible.
    I haven't come up with a good dust collector design yet. I have seen several on the web and will probably incorporate some ideas from others. I like that this one is easily removable.
    http://99.224.51.73/thephillips/Phot...tCollector.asp

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My machine has been quiet for about a month, since I've been playing in software more the hardware lately. Last night, I just had to cut something. So I started to cut some simple circle-like shapes and noticed an issue. I think I'm missing some steps, but only the x+ direction. The resulting piece looks like a circle, but with steps going down on the right side. The left side keeps getting cut shorter in each pass. I'll upload a picture tonight which will help explain what I'm talking about.

I was cutting .5 MDF, with a 4 flute HSS spirl cheapy bit from HF. Running at the highest speed, making .1 passes at 100 ipm. The path around the piece what counter-clockwise.

Any ideas? Thanks -Flyon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a loose motor coupler that allowed the motor to turn and not move the screw. It did not loose much at any one time, so I thought I was loosing steps.
    Is the machine running smooth? If it seems to jerk you may want to check the CV settings in Mach.
    Does it return to the start?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BobF View Post
    I had a loose motor coupler that allowed the motor to turn and not move the screw.
    I think that was it, nice catch. I tightened it up and haven't noticed any issues.

Thanks,
    Flyon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad it helped.
    I felt like a dummy when it happened, but looking back, I suppose it could happen to anyone. You get to the point where you are so excited to finally get the machine running some of the obvious things can slip through the cracks.

Default Re: Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa

Old post I know but I live in Vancouver as well. I'd love to see this machine. I'm also looking for anyone that has one built for using a plasma cutter. In Vancouver that is.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345