Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Everytime last night I tried to get on the computer the wife was busy on it. I'll try again tonight. Last night I was able to drill and tap the x axis bracket that allows you to adjust the x axis skate. I'll try get the y axis tonight.

Flyon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heres a couple pictures of my progress from the last few days. Also, I tried to cut the drill rods tonight, it didn't go so well. I remember I had a metal blade for my band saw, I thought that would work. At least it cut thru the aluminum like butter. I got about a quarter of the way thru and it stop cutting. I looked at the blade and it looks like all the teeth are rounded off. I tried to cut the aluminum again and it wouldn't cut it. Oh well, I'll try the metal cut off wheel.

Flyon

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-20070924-030-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-20070924-040-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-20070924-124-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-20070924-125-jpg  

Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-20070924-126-jpg   Joes CNC Model 2006 in Vancouver, Wa-20070924-127-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

flyon,

You can actually by carbide tipped blades for your bandsaw (not cheap).

Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

flyon,

I finally got EMC2 installed on that box. I had to install it 3 or 4 times before I got it to work. The problem was that the graphical installer won't run successfully on a 128meg memory machine. I finally downloaded the iso for a text based install and everything worked fine.

The other problem that I had was in getting the internet to run. I have my router set up for transparent bridging and my isp's server and Ubuntu didn't want to talk to each other but I finally got that working too. I probably could have called my isp's support (they are actually pretty good) but I just kept playing until I got it.

Thanks,
    Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Acondit,

Send me your address and I'll mail you out an extra 128Mb memory stick(Nlancaster you too). Good to know it works. I might go this route. If I got time this weekend I'll try it out on my workbench next to Mach 3.

Meanwhile, I've cut the Z axis rod. I bought another metal blade at hf and tried it, again didn't work good. So I used a metal cutoff blade in my table saw. I should just done that to beginning with. It took 5 minutes but it worked. I'll cut it to size later.

Also I've started to work on the Z axis, maybe I get that together this weekend.

Also, I'm going to order all my drive screws(1/2"-8 2start) and backlash parts(dumpercnc) this weekend.

Flyon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My first big mistake...

I'd just finished tapping my last hole last night was look forward to putting together the z axis. I put some bolts thru the holes in the skates then pulled out my bearing for the first time. When I put one bearing on, they were way too big, what did I miss. I drilled and tapped all my holes at 1/4", not 5/16".

I spent hours tapping them holes. It's clearly described in Joes Manual as 5/16" holes, how did I miss that. I can recover, but hate the idea of drilling out those tapped holes I sweated over.

Anyways, I'm having fun, atleast it doesn't feel like work.

One question though, do I need to tap the holes in the skates?

Flyon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by flyon View Post
    My first big mistake...

I'd just finished tapping my last hole last night was look forward to putting together the z axis. I put some bolts thru the holes in the skates then pulled out my bearing for the first time. When I put one bearing on, they were way too big, what did I miss. I drilled and tapped all my holes at 1/4", not 5/16".

I spent hours tapping them holes. It's clearly described in Joes Manual as 5/16" holes, how did I miss that. I can recover, but hate the idea of drilling out those tapped holes I sweated over.

Anyways, I'm having fun, atleast it doesn't feel like work.

One question though, do I need to tap the holes in the skates?

Flyon
    I did not tap the holes for mine just drilled a 5/16 hole and they work just fine but I did use a lock washer.

Rick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I live just South nlancaster in Tualatin, OR and I've decided today to build the Joes Model 2006. 2 years ago I built the Kleinbauer 7th Soujourn router from

It's small, only can handle 15"x15" work. I need to start cutting at least 2' x 2' and 4' x 2' is optimal for now. Eventually, I want a 4'x8' machine but that's way down the road. Any way, just thought I'd say hi as we might be a local club together someday. ;-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, that's sure good to know. I'll be able to redrill those tonight then.

I did place an order for the 1/2-8 2 start screws from McMaster-Carr and Leadscrews and parts from DumpsterCNC. The only other parts I need now is wire and homing switches. I'm still afew weeks away from that part of the build though I think.

Flyon

Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutly, we should form some sort of Portland Area club to help eachother and others out in the area.

Tuesday morning I purchased the 495oz/in kit from keling, so now I have no choice but to build my machine. I feel that having $500 worth of parts laying around will be good motivation to build my machine.

And here is a sneek peek of my self designed router. Still a few details to Iron out before I begin construction, but the main dimesntions and design features are nailed down. Joes machine is awesome and would go together quicker then building my own. I just dont have $700 bucks to drop all at once on the kit, and I love the satisfaction of designing and building something myself.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice drawing, do not forget to allow for adjustment for the bearings on the rails, over time you will have wear and will need to keep the bearings snug on the rails.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks joe. This will be the last post I talk about the machine I am designing, dont want to hijack Flyons thread. But there are adjustment screws on the bottom of the gantry pushing the lower rail trucks against the rails to take up any slack.

Nick

Last edited by nlancaster; 10-03-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I went home for lunch and saw I got a develivery from McMaster-Carr. My drive screws are here. It's going to a fun weekend.

In other news, I've drilled out my skates and put together the skates for my x, and z axis, but I ordered too few 5/16*1 1/2 bolts for my y. After looking I guess I'm not the only one that fell into this trap. Other then that I hope to finish my z axis this weekend.

Flyon

Last edited by flyon; 10-05-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been doing little things each day over the last week. I can't believe that it's starting to look finished.err..assembled I mean. Besides cleaning up the X rails, I've pretty much done as much as I can. One thing I gotta figure out is since I have a kit from Joe(thanks again). It comes setup for the acme 1/2-10 lead nuts. Since I went with the 1/2-8 2 start and dumpstercnc stuff, I gotta switch out the hdpe leadnut holders with ones that will accept the dumpstercnc antibacklash ones. I know I said the assembly part is almost done, but I'm sure running all the electronics is going to have it's own challenges.

Flyon

Downloads
    Uploads

So you have already assembled your gantry onto the machine and so on? If you haven't and need a hand with that as it looks like a big job let me know I could help you out.

nick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Nick,

No, I haven't tried putting the gantry on the x rails yet. I guess I could try fitting that too. I'll just have to take it apart when I get the hdpa leadnut holders for the 1/2-8 2starts. I'm going to move to the electronics till I find someone to cut me the hdpa holders for the dumpstercnc stuff I have. This is a time where it would be nice to have another cnc machine handy. I thought I saw Joe had publish the cut files for them. It's also a good time for me to go back thru all the posts and see if missed anything. I'm also starting to play around with the different cad/cam software packages out there looking for what will work for me.

If anyone can help me out by cutting the pieces I need, please let me know. I have some extra parts and a few good computers to trade with.

Flyon

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Nick,

No, I haven't tried putting the gantry on the x rails yet. I guess I could try fitting that too. I'll just have to take it apart when I get the hdpa leadnut holders for the 1/2-8 2starts. I'm going to move to the electronics till I find someone to cut me the hdpa holders for the dumpstercnc stuff I have. This is a time where it would be nice to have another cnc machine handy. I thought I saw Joe had publish the cut files for them. It's also a good time for me to go back thru all the posts and see if missed anything. I'm also starting to play around with the different cad/cam software packages out there looking for what will work for me.

If anyone can help me out by cutting the pieces I need, please let me know. I have some extra parts and a few good computers to trade with.

Flyon
    Flyon,

I would be happy to help out.

Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alan,

Maybe I can send you the three hdpa pieces which need the "square" pocket cut instead of the hexagon pocket which is there now. Reminds of the square peg in a round hole problem. I'll try and look tonight for the code/dimesons to cut the pieces. Or if that a bad solution, I can find some blank hdpa and we can cut the pieces from scratch. Let me know what you think.

Thanks alot,
    Flyon

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Nick,

Flyon
    try my yahoo group, i put them all in one place, look under (Files / Joes CNC Model 2006 / Mods).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/joescnc

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Alan,

Maybe I can send you the three hdpa pieces which need the "square" pocket cut instead of the hexagon pocket which is there now. Reminds of the square peg in a round hole problem. I'll try and look tonight for the code/dimesons to cut the pieces. Or if that a bad solution, I can find some blank hdpa and we can cut the pieces from scratch. Let me know what you think.

Thanks alot,
    Flyon
    Flyon,

You aren't going to use the stock pieces anyway, so why don't you send them to me and I'll see if I can cut the square pockets in them. I should be able to do that in the mill. If the doesn't work then we can make some new ones. Measure your Dumpster nuts and send me the dimensions with the original parts.

I looked at Joes drawings and I don't see how the dumpster nuts are help in place. Are there some additional holes that need to be drilled for screws that I don't see?

Alan

Last edited by acondit; 10-16-2007 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling error

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast