Noob CNC Questions

Thread: Noob CNC Questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Noob CNC Questions

I am a complete noob to CNC and this forum. I have been looking at CNCZone since about the middle of April. So there may be some questions here that I just haven't found answers to yet. I am planning on building the Joes 2006 R2 router but I will be making the bed shorter therefore reducing the Y axis to about 35-36" (about two cross pieces out of base). I would like approx. 2' x 2' cut area. This is definitely a very low budget machine. I plan on using this mainly to cut out high power rocket fins and centering rings. Do you have any other suggestions for a machine design? This is probably not cost effective but these machines are so cool I can't stop myself. Therefore I will sacrifice a little tolerance. Probably 0.010 - 0.015" is more than accurate enough. I probably will do some engraving as I learn more about it. Reading r00t4rd3d's MDF Madness thread I got a bug to build some P boxes and other things. Just things for gifts and personal use. The questions below are kind of haphazardly put together because I have just taken notes as I have read through lots of threads on here.

1. Because of my low budget build I want to use Open Source or Free Software. What do you suggest. I have used Sketchup and FreeCad before. But I have never done any CAM and also don't know what exists for CAM or for machine control that fits my open source or free requirement. I just can't bring myself to spend more for software than it will cost to build the machine.
    2. How do you clamp work pieces down? I have seen some designs that use T-slots. I have thought I could dato the top of the bed and use some sort of c channels but that would increase the complexity of the build. Any suggestions pictures would be appreciated.
    3. Some of the Joes 2006 R2 piece parts are pretty complex. How do you build those? For instance the Z-axis backplate has several partial circle counter-bores. Would you use a Forstner bit for these? If so, I guess I need to invest in them. I have wanted them for years.
    4. Torsion box - how does that work/what does it do?
    5. Torsion box - what are the grooves in the back for?
    6. Acme Screws - what do the terms 1 start, 5 start mean and what should I use for a low budget hobby (very very low production) machine?
    7. As far as the pipes for the rails: I have seen some useing EMT and other using black gas pipe. What do you suggest for my over all length of about 3'. They are supported every 8.28". I just saw a build log that used a kit from Joe that had the black pipe in it so I guess that should be what I use?
    8. Where do you get HPDE? What are the reasons for using it over MDF
    9. I have the model files (sketchup) for the Joes 2006 R2 machine but it doesn't include any of the metal parts (angles, skate bearing buildups, pipes, etc)
    10. I am thinking of using the hobbycnc EZ controller and steppers. How do I figure out how big of stepper motors I need?
    11. How are the acme screws mounted and what bearings, backlash, etc are used?
    12. Solid flexible couplings or LoveJoy?
    13. I have seen some people using ATX computer supplies wired in series. Other's have mentioned using 36 volt supplies and turning them down to 34V for the CNCHobby controller. What does the extra 12V get you? I saw this in a post: The ideal voltage for your steppers can be calculated using the formula 32 * sqrt(Motor's Inductance) So for the 305 oz-in motor it has 3.2mH so Videal = 1.81 volts. So apparently that calculation is not the input voltage to the controller.
    14. How/Where can I find what size of stepper motors I need?