approximate cost

View Poll Results: How much did it cost to build your Joe 2006?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • under $500

29 16.20%
  • $500-$750

31 17.32%
  • $750-$1,000

27 15.08%
  • $1,000-$1,250

21 11.73%
  • $1,250-$1,500

23 12.85%
  • over $1,500

48 26.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: approximate cost

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default approximate cost

I was wondering everyones cost to build a Joe 2006 router?
    Please include all costs to build it.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by ger21; 04-04-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mine was a little steeper but I dropped some nice coin on solid carbide tooling, brand new computer, and bought all new electronics and motors. I'd say the machine itself was the cheapest section of the build. The parts and hardware were only about a 3rd of my costs.

Last edited by ger21; 04-04-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would have to agree with bp092. The machine itself is pretty cheap to make or purchase in comparison to the accessories/gadgets/software/hardware that you can load it up with.

I had most of the electronics and I cut my own parts, so my total cost so far was fairly small in comparison to someone who has to purchase everything. Granted, I still have a 8-9 hundred dollars worth of electronics and software still to purchase.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree cost can vari sooooo much with resourses and also depending on location of parts available also.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

sorry I should have been more specific.
    things not to include cost of
    -router
    -tooling
    -computer
    things to include
    -all material used
    -the electronics to make it move(steppers and control boards)

Downloads
    Uploads

It's a beautiful thing whan you work for a company that scraps out somer prefectly good parts like Pacsci 665 in-oz steppers and very high end power supplies and you can get them for free by looking through the trash. Otherwize my Joe macine wouldn't have been nearly as inexpensive.

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio View Post
    It's a beautiful thing whan you work for a company that scraps out somer prefectly good parts like Pacsci 665 in-oz steppers and very high end power supplies and you can get them for free by looking through the trash. Otherwize my Joe macine wouldn't have been nearly as inexpensive.
    Any new progess on the machine, and the mini one? like to see a post of them...

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joe,

It's always the little things that hang you up. I was planning to mount the motoer and hook them up to the power supply this weekend and at least try to get then moving, maybe cut some air and, with the prevelence of USB connections on everything, DB25 cable with 2 male ends now seems to be a soecialty item that is cat order only. Went to several stores and non have it anymore. Special ordered from staples for $6. And for this I'm waiting a few extra days.

I do have a guy that I work with studying film production wno is anxioux to make some films or the beast in action (I promise not to CNC my sneekers though ).

I did find out why it was so hard to mount the z-axis on the x-axis verticle tortion box when I was do in that assemble. I made the assumption that it was 1" pipe all the way around. It aint... It will fit on if you use 1" where you are supposed to use 3/4. But just barely.

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Downloads
    Uploads

According to the poll as of this date there seems to be 44 machines built?
    or are there people who are guestimating what it will cost. I don't remember seeing 44 threads, will have to count them up now.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    According to the poll as of this date there seems to be 44 machines built?
    or are there people who are guestimating what it will cost. I don't remember seeing 44 threads, will have to count them up now.

Joe
    I voted based on a guestimation.

I got my steppers for Free

I got my HDPE for Free

So i expect i can get my HobbyCNC kit and all the Hardware for $250?

Am i correct in thinking this?

I traded a lawn mower i had for a brand new router. ( free ), So i think my overall cost will be $250.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kb18951452 View Post
    I voted based on a guestimation.

I got my steppers for Free

I got my HDPE for Free

So i expect i can get my HobbyCNC kit and all the Hardware for $250?

Am i correct in thinking this?

I traded a lawn mower i had for a brand new router. ( free ), So i think my overall cost will be $250.
    Good job on what you've picked up so far!

I'm guessing you'll spend another $450+, but if you can score some more free goodies, you can come close.

HobbyCNC board $79, cable $20, then you'll need the transformer and case around $55
    3/4" & 1" gas pipe Home Depot around $65
    1/2" MDF $ ??? Not sure about costs
    Nuts, bolts, washers, ubolts, bearings, aluminum angle $100 (rough guess)
    1/2-10 ACME Rod $7 each and nuts $1.19 each, 3/4 drill rod $9.39 each $50 - $200 depending on what you get (if you purchase 1/2-8 2 start, cost go up)

This is not really part of the build cost but you'll need control software
    Mach3 software $159 (you can get other software, this just seems to be the most popular)

I'm rooting for you, so get a build log going so you can keep us up dated!
    Have fun!

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ccsparky View Post
    Good job on what you've picked up so far!

I'm guessing you'll spend another $450+, but if you can score some more free goodies, you can come close.

HobbyCNC board $79, cable $20, then you'll need the transformer and case around $55
    3/4" & 1" gas pipe Home Depot around $65
    1/2" MDF $ ??? Not sure about costs
    Nuts, bolts, washers, ubolts, bearings, aluminum angle $100 (rough guess)
    1/2-10 ACME Rod $7 each and nuts $1.19 each, 3/4 drill rod $9.39 each $50 - $200 depending on what you get (if you purchase 1/2-8 2 start, cost go up)

This is not really part of the build cost but you'll need control software
    Mach3 software $159 (you can get other software, this just seems to be the most popular)

I'm rooting for you, so get a build log going so you can keep us up dated!
    Have fun!

Bob
    I am planning on using the HDPE i have for All the parts, Even the smaller ones. Just gonna adjust the bolt lengths. I don't think its gonna be a problem.

the other reason i expect it to not cost much more is that i plan on spending the next year or two collecting the parts for free! Youde be surprised how little you have to spend on a project if you have all the time in the world to wait for the best deals.

(Its taken me a year so far to get the motors and the HDPE, I bet i can get my pipes, and what not over time, But what i will probably start doing is buying jut a few things here and there, spread the cost out. I am thinking that my Cabinet friend of mine might be interested in me doing some work for his high $ clients)

Also,

there wouldnt happen to be a thread or a guide on where people have harvested free materials? Seems like i read someone (Joe?) collecting they're power supply from a microwave? And i read smeone else recently making one from 3 old computer power supplies(i have plenty of those)

Maybe i should get the parts list and start finding things that can be easly obtained to salvage parts from. Like, How about a source for Skate Beearings? Gas Pipe?

I think i need to find that original post about power supplies from computers. i bet that setup doesnt need a transformer (FYI i know NOTHING about Electricity)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am planning on using the HDPE i have for All the parts, Even the smaller ones. Just gonna adjust the bolt lengths. I don't think its gonna be a problem.
    HDPE tends to have more flex on larger peices than MDF does, AFAIK. Using HDPE for the gantry frame would introduce alot of flex and backlash, I would think. Maybe not, it's not like I've built one out of HDPE or anything.

there wouldnt happen to be a thread or a guide on where people have harvested free materials? Seems like i read someone (Joe?) collecting they're power supply from a microwave? And i read smeone else recently making one from 3 old computer power supplies(i have plenty of those)

Maybe i should get the parts list and start finding things that can be easly obtained to salvage parts from. Like, How about a source for Skate Beearings? Gas Pipe?

I think i need to find that original post about power supplies from computers. i bet that setup doesnt need a transformer (FYI i know NOTHING about Electricity)
    Microwave power supplies can be done, but are dangeous in the actual harvesting of parts to take from it. And the Transformer+Capacitor+Bleed Resistor+bridging IS the power supply Can't have a power supply without the transformer.

But back on the original topic, I'm keeping detailed records of all the cash I spend on the machine, I plan on adding all those details to a build thread on here soon. It can definately vary based on what options you want to spend money on (ex., $12 for Leadscrews at USE-ENCO.com, or $130 for 1/4 2-starts from McMaster)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just started my joe's build - cut one Y torsion rib using my table build on thread (http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35713) will post some pics on how it looks now in some 2 weeks, because I live in city center and have no place to run CNC other than on my girlfriends country side house I can visit it once in 2 weeks, so the build will be sooooooooo long but as it seams 1st joes in Latvia

Downloads
    Uploads

Cost:

Here is some of what I have gathered in my research your mileage may vary, but I am going to do this from the stand point of a novice who is not going to shop around for weeks and spend days soldering electronics etc.

Plans $100
    Joes Kit $400
    Blade runner plug and play electronics $1200
    Deluxe kit from dumpstercnc for lead screws and backlash nuts $160

Lead Screws $200
    Bolts to put it all together $160
    Router $200
    bits and collets $150

80/20 extrusions $120

unistrut ?????

V roller bearings ?????

concentric eccentric bushings ??????

Steel angle ??????

Mach 3 $160

Vectric Aspire $1700

So grand total to have a fully operating machine with the awesome vectric software is: $4550 add in the question mark items above and I would say one is approaching close to 5k running in your shop.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't forget the title , This thread is really for the Joe's CNC Model 2006 now the CNC 4x4 Hybrid, if people post a poll and its for the CNC 4x4 it will throw if off.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I see 103 total votes in the poll now.
    WOW Joe you have quite the empire.
    Are there really 100+ 2006 machines out there?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sure there are allot more, from those who do not post, and others.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll be reusing electronics, power supply, and motors from the JGRO making the J2006 parts. Cost will be for 2 start lead screws, anti backlash nuts and wood. All the rest are extras and stuff laying around. Under $500 I think. What's this about plans for $100?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Look at the 5 start screws. If your motors are up to it these may be better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast