Need Help! Steppers are thumping about once every second

Thread: Steppers are thumping about once every second

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Steppers are thumping about once every second

Okay here is the history. Built my machine. It's pretty much a Joe's 4x4 with acme screws. Using 4 NEMA23 381oz/in 3.5A stepper motors to drive the 3 axis’s. A 48VDC/12.5A switching power supply. Shielded cables throughout. Running Mach3. Fan blowing directly onto the back of the G540. I was using an old Pentium 4 computer and it ran beautifully. The computer got to where it wouldn't start well and was always losing the date which would cause really weird problems. I didn't use the CNC for several month. So then I upgraded the computer to an intel quad core machine. I wasn't smart enough to save my mach .xml file so I had to re-input all my ports and pins and motor tuning and such. I got everything moving again.....but now I have this weird thump from the moving axis about every 1 second. It happens on every axis...even Z. And it's never in the same spots. It doesn't matter what speed I turn the motors I still get the thump about every 1 second. If I tune the motors to a reasonably quick speed...like I used to...the motors stall about every 1 second.

So I don't know if I have a weird setting in Mach3 that I overlooked. I don't know if the computer is doing something strange every 1 second. The computer has a fresh install of Windows 7 x86. It has Mach3 installed and that's all. I tried running it with the network disabled and that didn't help. I've tried all kinds of different motor tuning setting and if I set it real slow I don't get stalling but I still hear and feel the thump.

Anyone ever run into this before? Anyone have any Ideas what's causing this thump and how to stop it?

Thanks,
    Randy

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Steppers are thumping about once every second

Hello Randy,

It is weird actually, i got look like this problem before some months, and it was from the Velocity and Acceleration in the Mach3 Motor Tuning setting, it was high velocity and low acceleration so it causing like Errrgg or like impact... Please double check the acceleration and velocity and change it manually if you can until you hear a good sound while moving...

Also, check the the port address of Port#1, it is usually everyone have it 0x378 and also check the kernel Speed <<< all that i think you can check it in your PC from "Device Manager --> Ports (COM & LPT)" .

I hope this will helps,,
    Watch this video which is from the maker of Mach3 Paul Campbell << as i know..

Hope the best for you.
    Update us.
    Have a good day.
    Best Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

I had the same problem. I disabled all XP programs running in the background and that fixed it. (you can find instructions by boogieing
    ). I don't run anything on that PC except Mach3 and CamBam. So far I haven't experienced any downside.

I have to say that I was surprised that this fixed it. Good luck to you. -M

Downloads
    Uploads

I hate spellcheck! ...GOOGLING... -M

Downloads
    Uploads

You can choose a better stepper driver ,

Downloads
    Uploads

Randy,

I am experiencing the exact same issue, after having having my system down for a while I turned it back on and started experiencing this. Were you able to resolve the issue? And if so, how?

- Adam