Need Help! JOE 2006 Conversion to rack and pinion

Thread: JOE 2006 Conversion to rack and pinion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default JOE 2006 Conversion to rack and pinion

Hi All,

A number of years ago I build a JoeCNC 2006 acme lead-screw nema 34 macing which I have been very extremely with. I resized it for a 4x8ft bed at the time I built it.

Currently I'm updating and redesigning the z axis, a project which is coming along slow, but it is going well.

While I have the machine apart I am thinking of converting the x and y axis to rack and pinion drive.

I searched the forum (using such terms as rack and pinion conversion and Joe 2006) and haven't found any threads that jump out at me and say "This is how I did it".

I'm thinking of going with the CNCRouterParts Pro (or Standard) kit as a starting point (but I'm definitely open to other kits or plans).

Has anyone done this conversion and can you offer any suggestions or point me to your build notes thread?

What I'm not looking to do is to completely rebuild the entire machine from the ground up, so a quick simple conversion would be great if possible (if quick and simple can be done with emphasis of the simple part since I'm a simple kind of guy. i.e. not an engineer, a simple violin maker and CNC hobbyist).

Thank you,
    Steven

Similar Threads:
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: JOE 2006 Conversion to rack and pinion

I've never seen a rack and pinion 2006. Not sure where you'd mount the rack.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: JOE 2006 Conversion to rack and pinion

Hi Gerry,

I'm assuming (and I usually find when I assume something like this I am usually wrong) that you could mount the rack to the 80/20 extrusion using hardware similar to the CNCRouter parts machine) then redesign the gantry plates risers to accommodate the rack and pinion drive while keeping the angle bracket (linear rails) intact. I.e. going to a flat aluminum gantry plate.

But if you haven't seen it here then it probably doesn't exist.

As I implied, I'm perfectly happy with the unit the way it is, so upgrading to R&P isn't a necessity.

Thanks
    Steven

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven