Joe's CNC Model 2006 (Mods & Additions) - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's CNC Model 2006 (Mods & Additions)

Downloads
    Uploads

The router support rear plate and the plate it mates to (the one that the u-bolts attach to), has anyone tried making these out of 3/4 aluminum or at least running a 3/4X3/4 steel angle piece along the verticle edges of the router support plate. There seems to be a little flex in mine (mine is currently MDF).

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There shouldn't be any flex to them and they certainly shouldnt be warped. The bearing block one (the slide assem) should be made out of hdpe and the angled aluminum for the bearings should keep it pretty straight. The router holder is mdf and may be somewhat flexible since it is supported at the top but not too bad. Have a photo of them? Pref. side view.

Downloads
    Uploads

you could add some 1.5"x1.5" alumn. angle just behind the router rear plate and bolt it into place, then drill some holes that go through router side mounts. from top to bottom, this will significantly reinforce it, if you like i can add some when i get a chance and post results. I know Rick was having some people cut his out of alumn. not sure if he finished that mod or not.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    you could add some 1.5"x1.5" alumn. angle just behind the router rear plate and bolt it into place, then drill some holes that go through router side mounts. from top to bottom, this will significantly reinforce it, if you like i can add some when i get a chance and post results. I know Rick was having some people cut his out of alumn. not sure if he finished that mod or not.

Joe
    Exactly what I was thinking but probably stated poorly. I did tak a close look at things and found my problem was that one of the u-bolts has loosened up a bit.

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Downloads
    Uploads

i was very surprised to see mine had not loosened at all, infact when i reinstalled it i lifted it up and it stayed inplace by itself just as it was installed 1 and a half year ago.

I even snaped a picture of it when i reinstalled the z-axis, this is without adjusting the lock nuts at all.

I wonder if yours loosened up due to slight compression of the MDF.

Joe

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006 (Mods & Additions)-image_00064-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=joe2000che;294888I wonder if yours loosened up due to slight compression of the MDF.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Could be, or it could be that I was just to concerned about tightening it just enough and not to much that it didn't tighten it quite enough in the first place.

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Parts List

In the attached spreadsheet file I've taken a first cut at compiling a complete parts list, including mods, add-on's, and alternate sources and components, including links where I could.

I'm hoping that you guys will download it, add to it for your choices of materials and sources, and upload it back to this thread, so we can keep a single complete and up-to-date list.

After looking at all of this stuff in one place, I think I'd like to change my entry in the 'approximate cost' poll - it sure adds up.

The lines in the spreadsheet that have been colored, are alternates for the same component.

Gary

edit: I notice a couple of errors already, only (6) (or 8, with added bearing blocks) of the large bearings are needed, and, I'd forgotten the vinyl hose. I'll update that later - there's lots more that could be added.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gacrwell; 05-08-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gacrwell View Post
    In the attached spreadsheet file I've taken a first cut at compiling a complete parts list, including mods, add-on's, and alternate sources and components, including links where I could.

I'm hoping that you guys will download it, add to it for your choices of materials and sources, and upload it back to this thread, so we can keep a single complete and up-to-date list.

After looking at all of this stuff in one place, I think I'd like to change my entry in the 'approximate cost' poll - it sure adds up.

The lines in the spreadsheet that have been colored, are alternates for the same component.

Gary
    Wow, Gary, nice job. I whish I had that when I started building mine.

Steven

Downloads
    Uploads

Very Nice Gary, as more mods are done, this ongoing addition list will be very helpful to others in the future as well as existing machines.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome work on the list. I highly recommend boltdepot ordering from them several times. When I started joe's design I was at home depot nit picking through the isles getting the stuff and dropped it and said it wasn't worth it. There is a ton of individual specific stuff, easier IMO to do online and with BD it's cheaper and faster and you will get better stuff. Plus I don't think HD carries full thread bolts anymore. At least not around here..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gary in your spread sheet the part number you have listes for the 4140 1/2-8 acme is for a 3' length. I think you mean part number 98940a105.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    Awesome work on the list. I highly recommend boltdepot ordering from them several times. When I started joe's design I was at home depot nit picking through the isles getting the stuff and dropped it and said it wasn't worth it. There is a ton of individual specific stuff, easier IMO to do online and with BD it's cheaper and faster and you will get better stuff. Plus I don't think HD carries full thread bolts anymore. At least not around here..
    You might try a tractor supply if you live near one ?? your right homedepot, or lowes for that matter are getting cheap

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by biotech1 View Post
    You might try a tractor supply if you live near one ?? your right homedepot, or lowes for that matter are getting cheap
    Nothing very close but still, you won't get retail prices cheaper than bolt depot usually and the convenience cannot be matched. I just like how they label everything in individual boxes and bags and everything is tidy. It helps a lot when you have to build something like joe's 06 that has a billion nuts and bolts. Also sometimes its more economical to upgrade to 100 boxes and they aren't a whole lot more. Home depot or any home center to me is a headache; you can bring a list but you leave with a ringing in your ear from incompetent employees screaming over the loud speaker and rude people getting in your way. Plus I work a bit so I don't have a lot of free time; best spent just getting right down to the nitty gritty instead of fighting seniors at hd! :rainfro:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    DumpsterCNC parts needed:

three each all 1/2"-8 ACME 2 Start (4 turns per inch)

http://www.dumpstercnc.com/leadnuts_acme.html
    http://www.dumpstercnc.com/leadnuts_flanges.html
    Add a 1-3/16" machined square flange with (4) .144 dia clearance holes.

http://www.dumpstercnc.com/thread_clamps.html

Joe
    Joe,
    I am going to have to switch my lead screws also due to excessive whip, so I am watching what you are doing closely and have a few questions. You stated only 3 thread clamps were needed. Are you not using them on both ends of the rod? And if not, what are you using on the motor side? What source did you use for your spring and did you drill the nut out to use it as a washer in the picture of your preload setup that you posted? Hope this is not too many questions at one time. Thanks for all your help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Parts List

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz9075 View Post
    Gary in your spread sheet the part number you have listes for the 4140 1/2-8 acme is for a 3' length. I think you mean part number 98940a105.
    Thanks, I've corrected that and a couple of other part numbers - those critical corrections are shown in red. I've also added sources, part numbers and links for quite a few other items. Please - Please, correct me if you find anything wrong, or if you have any additions or suggestions; reply here or PM.

Thanks, Gary

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by daltonjl View Post
    ...What source did you use for your spring ....
    I added a McMaster spring to the parts list, but I'm only guessing if it's appropriate, 1/2" ID, 2" long; mcmaster # 9573K52.

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not sure if this has been posted before, but I work in a woodworking plant as a drafter and we received a sample box of some new MDf that is in differnt colors, so you now do not have to have your CNC in that tan color.
    It is made by Great Lakes MDf and is called Spectratech colorMDF
    www.greatlakesmdf.com

I plan on building Joe's CNC as soon as I buy a house, so I will have somewhere to put it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A warning for Canadians only after you place your order will you get a call back from McMaster Carr indicating they will not ship to Canada. NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

guys I just mounted up some hpde and want to program all the parts I need cut now before I take the machine apart, anyone have the file or drawing (acad pref) for the bearing block (hdpe) inside the gantry carriage on the back that some of you added as a support for the rod. The same one I've seen one of you add alum to the back of to hold the bearing in. I will just flip mine around though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

also one more question, I'm getting that nerve racking high pitched sound from cutting 3/4 hdpe again with a 1/4" upspiral. Using a 3/8" as ger suggested awhile back eliminated that but with these parts its best to use a 1/4" bit. I'm cutting at around 40 IPM (taking it slow to just get these parts done w/ no problems before I upgrade) and the hitachi router set around 2 to 2 and a half. Any suggestions?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast