Need Help! Doubts about couplers and others

Thread: Doubts about couplers and others

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Doubts about couplers and others

Hey guys, been lurking here for a while and finally decided yo build a Joe 2006

For now I am in the "gather info" part so a few doubts have come up

1) While assembling the Z Axis carriage, where do the TOP 2 threaded rods go?. There is the Y Axis Bearing Block (HDPE) and the Z Axis carriage top plate (MDF) that seem to go next to each other and the threaded rods go through the Y Axis Bearing Block (HDPE) or below it (seems difficult to drill the piece from side to side)? Would it be bad if I make it go below the Y Axis Bearing Block (HDPE) and not through it?

2) I don't know which pieces are used to assemble the antibackslash piece as I couldn't find any closeups.

3) The assembly PDF mentions 3 tipes of couplers (Bore LoveJoy Coupler, Keyway Spiders and Bore LoveJoy Coupler) and 3 of each, are all of them required or are them three options to use? Would it be much different if I used these type (I couldn't find Lovejoys in my country).

Well that's it for now, sorry for the mistakes, English is not my main language :P

Best regards!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by inicdam; 08-14-2015 at 09:55 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Doubts about couplers and others

Figured out 3) myself :P 3 pieces are needed because he shaft of the nema 23 and the lead screw have different diameters.

For 1) I guess it goes between the top plate and the bearing as it can be seen in the solidworks files.

Still looking for 2) though.

Regards!

Downloads
    Uploads

Any coupling which has 2 pieces with a rubber "spider" in between is generically called a Lovejoy coupler. It used to be just a brand name, but has become a description of a type of coupler. If the spider fits very tightly, it's called a zero-backlash coupler.

I don't think you can avoid going through the bearing block - it's there for a reason, to support the screw firmly.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Any coupling which has 2 pieces with a rubber "spider" in between is generically called a Lovejoy coupler. It used to be just a brand name, but has become a description of a type of coupler. If the spider fits very tightly, it's called a zero-backlash coupler.

I don't think you can avoid going through the bearing block - it's there for a reason, to support the screw firmly.
    Hey, thanks for the reply

Hi, yes I know but my doubt is whether you have to drill and make the threaded rod go through the bearng block, because the solidworks file show and the sketchup show different thing, but that I have already solved!

About couplings, in my country there are only "one piece" coupling, not lovejoys. Thats why I asked

Question remains about the backslash piece.

Regards!

Downloads
    Uploads

If you're using a helical coupler like the one in your picture, then make sure you get a stainless steel one and not an aluminum one. The aluminum couplers will break pretty quickly from repeated strain.

There shouldn't be much if any backlash (not "backslash") from a coupler like that; don't worry about it.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]