Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1 - Page 7

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the quick replies so far, its a great help.
    I'm about to start making cuts for the X Axis Torsion box, and was wondering how long did it take you to cut out the parts and assemble the X Axis (or the whole machine).

I am doing this for a school project, so I have a deadline and time is of the most importance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey,
    I'm beginning to start cutting out parts for the X axis torsion, however, some parts are too long to be cut. The CNC I am using has a travel of 30.5" (y) x 34" (x).

The X Torsion Box Long Run Brace (1) calls for the cutting out of a part 41.67" in length, so what procedure/method should I use to cut out the longer piece?

In more simple terms, how does one cut out a part that is longer than the travel of the CNC?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe broke the long ribs in half and joined them together, you literally have to glue them up and he puts a joint on top of them so its fully stacked together and can't easily break apart. See in my photo here...

You should see that in the drawings. Just glue it together sand a tad and you're on your way. Without looking at the drawings that one side of the part to be glued up may be the 41" long one; and as you're cutting area is max 34" you cannot do it. You can however do one of two things.

A. have joe cut the long parts for you and ship them to you (probably the easiest and fairly cheap way)

B. cut it by hand and use the shapes and lines of the other parts as a template. Cut them close with a jig saw leaving about a 1/16th and trimming them up with a flush trim bit. Should be easy to manipulate some of your other parts to get that. Just rip a long piece the exact width and length and go for it.

Hope that makes sense!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes make three short ones to equal the overall length, then use as brian said, as a templete with a trim router and cut out 4 of them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

excellent design joe. Im in the UK and wondered if there is anyone who has been setup to produce the kits. If not can anyone produce a kit for someone in the Nottinghamshire area.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey joe can you send me the plans and a materials/ cutting list if you have one thanks alot. mini-number1@hotmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/joescnc

here for download.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe-

I'm still working on creating those plans for the machine. This is a really busy week for me, so I should have them done by Monday. I hope they turn out well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe, I have looked for some time and find your approach and plans best fit my needs. However, I do not have access to equipment to cut the machine. I am interested in the cut kit. Please advise. Thanks, Len

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe, do you have dxf or dwg files of it all put together. All of the files are of individule parts but nothing of it all put together. Looking for top, left, right, bottom views.

Downloads
    Uploads

Download the e-drawing, or the sketchup drawing, this is the machine in 3d

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Joe... is it possible to get a quote for you to cut and ship just the plastic pieces?
    thanks again
    david

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have built Joe's machine with mods,built the 4axis hobby cnc kit and downloaded mach3.

Finally got to try jogging the system after recovering from an argument with my table saw, system dead as a dodo. I followed the mach3 configuration tutorial but did notice some differences in the pin functions etc .So I am wondering if there is a file somewhere that gives a step by step configuration instructions for the hobbycnc package to mach3.......and by the way in the "engine config ports and pins what are optically isolated inputs".one other thing how does one find the correct addresses for the computer ports or are they all 0*378....any help appreciated regards mike hide

Downloads
    Uploads

What kind of ipm can you get on this machine. I was looking at buying the kit. I have 296oz bipolar nema 23. Probly use the standard acme 1/2" 10 screw (not sure about the starts). I have not bought the controllers or power supply yet. I am on a tight budget so the controllers will probly have to get something inexpensive. I am just trying to get a general idea. As far as cutting goes mostly foam, plexi, plastic, and wood.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cutting speeds I would go with 60 to 80ipm, some cut at 100 to 120, but with the standard acme rod, you can get 60ipm safely.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    Cutting speeds I would go with 60 to 80ipm, some cut at 100 to 120, but with the standard acme rod, you can get 60ipm safely.

Joe
    What rod should I go with to get better speed?

What rods were you using on your 4x4? I thought I read that you switched over to rack and pinion,how did or would that effect ipm speeds?

Downloads
    Uploads

On the 4x4 I use 1/2"-10 5 start, this is by far the best i have used, if cost is not prohibited i would use this on the X and Y Axis and 1/2"-8 2 start on the Z-Axis (most people want the best resolution on the Z-Axis. If not then use 1/2"-8 2 start on all axis.

You have to remember the original was designed two years ago and is the basic machine, people have had mods to improve it, but with mods comes price.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mike hide View Post
    I have built Joe's machine with mods,built the 4axis hobby cnc kit and downloaded mach3.

Finally got to try jogging the system after recovering from an argument with my table saw, system dead as a dodo. I followed the mach3 configuration tutorial but did notice some differences in the pin functions etc .So I am wondering if there is a file somewhere that gives a step by step configuration instructions for the hobbycnc package to mach3.......and by the way in the "engine config ports and pins what are optically isolated inputs".one other thing how does one find the correct addresses for the computer ports or are they all 0*378....any help appreciated regards mike hide
    Well finally got my machine jog in all axes .I was wondering if you could recall the acceleration and velocities you used for your steppers . I am using the same as you I think the Hobbycnc ones and since are machines are almost identical it would be helpful to use your values being an experienced cncer...happy new year ..mike hide

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Gang,

Apologies for a simple question about the Joe router that could be mined from the forums, but the Joe forums are so popular that finding even a needle in that haystack seems improbable.

What are the overall dimensions of the Joe router? ie, not just cutting table, but how big of a table do I need for it?

Thanks! Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

min, table is 3'x6', machine will barely fit. with no room, so you will need to bolt it down.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast