Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1 - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1

WoodNDust

Default Re: Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1

First off, I would like to thank Joe publicly for providing his 2006 R2 plans. I have been studying various videos and websites to either find an existing design for my first CNC build. This appears to be a good starting point. I plan to try to build this machine with a 4x4 cutting area.

I like the torsion box design but have been wondering the reason for the routed holes in the torsion framework. Why not just route the slots and keep the boards otherwise solid?

Also wondering, from DIYer's who have built the machine, how well does the black pipe work for the linear rails? I have seen at least one build use turned, hardened and ground rail stock in place of the pipe.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

The holes are prob for lightening. Also, the kits are/were cut on a CNC so they were easy. If you are cutting by hand just omit them but make sure they are not a pass thru for a lead screw etc.
    Dave

In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!

Downloads
    Uploads

If you plan to build a 4x4 you should gret the plans for Joes 4x4 hybrid instead. MDF will sag if much longer than 3'. To build a 4x4 takes about 6'x6' of area. In my opinion building the Hybrid is the better course if you want a larger machine.

If you told me you planned to build a machine exactly as the plans show, then II would say the 2006 is a great choice. Once you start extending the table you are better off with a Hybrid.

Bill

Joescnc 4x4 R&P Router, Minimill, Minilathe, CNC Foamcutter, laser cutter, Vectric Aspire. http://makermasters.com, http://themakersguide.com

WoodNDust

That makes sense about the holes. I was also thinking they might be for evening out temperature/moisture to keep the table more stable, but this is just speculation on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by beone View Post
    The holes are prob for lightening. Also, the kits are/were cut on a CNC so they were easy. If you are cutting by hand just omit them but make sure they are not a pass thru for a lead screw etc.
    Dave

WoodNDust

Thanks Bill. I would like to avoid using aluminum extrusions because of their high cost. I do have access to a CNC plasma cutter, so I am planning to utilize 1/8" steel sheet to cut some of the plates in wood and steel and then laminate for strength. Really, I'm just looking things over and working with elements of this design, as well as other designs to come up with a hybrid of my own that avoids aluminum extrusions.

Quote Originally Posted by bgriggs View Post
    If you plan to build a 4x4 you should gret the plans for Joes 4x4 hybrid instead. MDF will sag if much longer than 3'. To build a 4x4 takes about 6'x6' of area. In my opinion building the Hybrid is the better course if you want a larger machine.

If you told me you planned to build a machine exactly as the plans show, then II would say the 2006 is a great choice. Once you start extending the table you are better off with a Hybrid.

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe could I Please get a copy of the DWGS thanks kodyweaver94@yahoo.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Koday94 View Post
    Joe could I Please get a copy of the DWGS thanks kodyweaver94@yahoo.com
    What format would you like them in? I looked around for awhile and found them in SketchUp, STL, SolidWorks, Pro-E, AutoCAD. I have the zip files I can send to you.

Dave Duerksen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joe, could I also ask for a copy of the plans please? Sketch-up or Autocad (2006) would be great. Many thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

can i get a copy dwg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

me to please
    Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post
    What format would you like them in? I looked around for awhile and found them in SketchUp, STL, SolidWorks, Pro-E, AutoCAD. I have the zip files I can send to you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi can you send me the zip (AutoCAD) and thank you

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gsxdax View Post
    Hi can you send me the zip (AutoCAD) and thank you
    I'm not sure this is the latest. It has an older date from the R2 ones that I have in other formats.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Dave Duerksen

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for this.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112