Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1 - Page 10

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, don't worry, Rice. I was very nervous to start building this thing on my own, but Joe's kit is so well made that it's pretty hard to mess up. The little guide that's included in the .zip file with the plans is helpful enough. I also use other people's threads as references to make sure I'm progressing well. Trust me, I was completely new (still am) to anything that involves tools when I started.

Make sure you research the mods that have been added on. A lot of them make the machine much more solid (like the threaded rods fed through above the X table to make the Y assembly more rigid... or the iron angles on Y assembly sides). Also if you have the money (and it's not that expensive), get the dumpstercnc stuff for Joe's '06. It will make your life easier and your machine better.

One tip I can give you that no one else mentioned to me is that you should not attach the bottom or the top of the main X table up until the very end. Otherwise you will have hard time attaching the back and the front plates to it.... that's what I'm trying to figure out right now. It's a bit of a delema to feed through those threaded rods when you can barrely see them. Thank god there are openings on either side so I can kind of see them, but it's still tough.

-BK

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Get multistart screws for the drive. Either 1/2-8 2-start or 1/2-10 5-start or even 1/2-8 8-start if you have the higher power motors.
    Somewhere in here is a spreadsheet with a pretty good parts list and sources. Hopefully someone else will come by and post a link as I don't have one handy.
    You also may want to look at my thread. I made an aluminum plate for the Z and added the K2 mount for the router. I think it adds a lot of rigidity to the Z.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=43485&page=7
    post #76.
    I used a cable carrier from a PC server rack I got at work for the cables on Y. You can build one with some wood and hinges. Joe adapted this to the 4 x 4.
    Legs are a nice addition as well. I always mount both castors and screw jacks to mobile equipment. You can roll to where you want and then use the jacks to level and lock in place.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you have both wheels and jacks at the same time? I'm sure it's simple but I am wondering how you do it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You know, I have been wondering if it's worth it to replace all of the Z as aluminum plates with some kind... perhaps ball bearing motion things attached. It would make Z axis very stable.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I mount the jacks so that they unload onto the castors. Raise the jack and castors roll. Lower the jack screw and you lift the table/cabinet off the castors. Works great.
    I have found that even "good" locking castors don't lock as well as I like and even though the wheel may not roll, you can usually move some just because of the rotation of the castor direction.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX View Post
    Hmmmm....based on that disclaimer....I don't want to taint my brain with elements of your design which I suspect is well done.
    I will have a look when I have a chance but to be honest my brain is over tainted by al the ads I get though yet2 and nasa tech briefs as it is

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

I think i am having a little of a brain melt down at the moment
    Been trying to do my homework here but the more i read the more i am getting confused now. So maybe time for some questions.

Please help me if you can, if there is such a plan ready to be downloaded, so i take it to the cnc shop to cut the frame of the cnc.

I want to build such a machine like Joes CNC, but one of the axis is way too big for what i need.

Here are some thoughts:

-DIY CNC:
    * Spindle: Dremel 300 Series + Shaft
    * Aim: To cut acrylic/wood* Budget: ~500 to 700USD
    * Location: Brazil (cant buy ready pieces like the blacktoes for example, too expensive)
    * Facilities: Can cut the frame on Local CNC shop
    * Mechanical & Electrical: Thinking on buying such a kit (Please advise me if there are better kits)

CNC SIZE: (Can modifications be made on Joes design to my needs? Is that simple? Functional?)
    (X) 24"
    (
    Y) 24"
    (
    Z) 5"

1)Would Joes design be easy to modify with to the measurements i need?
    2)Is there any benefit in using the dremel shaft attachment instead of the dremel itself? Would it be less hot or more precise and accurate?
    3)Can i build that within this range of price?
    4)Are there other places where i could find another CNC plan to download with measures similar to what i need?
    5)Are there other CNC starter Kits at affordable prices rather than ebay?

PLEASE CHECK MY THREAD HERE

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok so i have spent the morning searching.
    I am looking for a list of material used in this build.
    can someone help me with that??

I want to go but the wood today and start this build, but dont know what thickness to get.
    also the pipe diameter.

thanks in advanced

chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joe.. Any chancce of Getting the drawing files? cruizer67@yahoo.com

thanks in advance

sorry seen an earlier post where you cant send to everyone that asks.. i will locate them on my own..

Last edited by cruizer67; 12-03-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer67 View Post
    Hi Joe.. Any chancce of Getting the drawing files? cruizer67@yahoo.com

thanks in advance

sorry seen an earlier post where you cant send to everyone that asks.. i will locate them on my own..
    http://rapidshare.com/files/13039444...l_2006_R-2.zip

Try here.

Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks Joe.. I was able to find them a few dyas ago... i just took the time to read the entire thread...I must say i am impressed with your design it will help me to make my modified version of you machine,, if i ever get it finished i will send you picture and the solid model when i get done..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hey guys...i downloaded some of joe's plans and i was going through them and they look great but.....there are no measurments in the dwgs that i have looked at...are these all just drawn to a 1:1 scale that i can just set up my printer to the same scale and print out templates or am i missing something here?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes the cad files are 1:1, you can open them in any drawing program and get measurements or like you say print 1:1.

Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default jimeast

Hello everyone, this is my first post, I am wanting to build the 2006 model.
    Where can i go to learn all about the cnc software.
    I worked for a machine shop for 30 years so I know my way around tooling, but not cnc.

Last edited by Jimeast; 07-01-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all... first post here, but im hoping many more... Ive downloaded joe's R2 zip file... And decided to build it... but since i dont have a cnc machine or someone close to me that does, can u point me in the right direction... which files in that zip should i use to see the cutting dimensions? and with what program should i open them? Because i will have to cut all those parts by hand for the first time, i could really use the dimensions of all the parts, cuts, holes, etc...

Ive installed solidworks viewer sofar, but no luck... or i dont know how...

thanks all for your replies...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you will go to page 142 on the following linked thread you will see the start of a discussion regarding your question. There is a ton of information in that thread and yes, it is over 140 pages long but a few evenings reading thru the thread will gain you a lot of background information.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/joes_c...006_a-142.html

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi I this is not a reply but asking where I can post a new thread can't see where Have posted before thanks
    cairo2nz

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When you open the Joes CNC forum there is a 'New Thread' button at the top left of the postings. That will let you start a new thread.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default wanting to order joes kit

But i have a few questions before i do. I hope this is the place to ask!! what is the difference in Joes model 2006 and the joes model 4X4 is it the size of the machine? also trying to find a good link to elaing the differnce between Rack and Pinion and leadscrew. I want to cut oak, maple about 3/4-1 inch stock i want to have the larger bed to have a table to cut many parts in one layout table. Any info would be great thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy01 View Post
    But i have a few questions before i do. I hope this is the place to ask!! what is the difference in Joes model 2006 and the joes model 4X4 is it the size of the machine? also trying to find a good link to elaing the differnce between Rack and Pinion and leadscrew. I want to cut oak, maple about 3/4-1 inch stock i want to have the larger bed to have a table to cut many parts in one layout table. Any info would be great thanks
    See response here......

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/joes_c...ml#post1069540

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast