Joe's CNC Model 2006 - Page 85

Page 85 of 88 FirstFirst ... 357582838485868788 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1745

Thread: Joe's CNC Model 2006

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lemonyx View Post
    I can't find the dimensions for the X, Y and Z axis brg assembly, 140 pages of info, I know I have missed it, Would someone please link me to these assemblies.

TIA
    Check the JGRO plans.

Fatboy

Downloads
    Uploads

Well what a read 141 pages has taken me nearly 4 nights of reading after work. I would love to build one of joes machines but i think finding someone in Australia to cut the parts out may be my problem. Any one in SA built one of them? are you willing to let me come and look?
    Joe keep up the great work mate !

Downloads
    Uploads

sorry for some reason it double posted !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

G'day Swiften,

I too have been impressed by JOES machines and the size of the threads! (Is it the size of the thread that matters.......

Anyway, unfortunately I'm not close enough for you to drop in to have a look at my JOES build, but check out my build thread if you want.

- Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

swiftden.......plenty of places would be able to cut these bits and pieces - here in VIC i know of a few?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Joe's 2006 Owner/Operator

Hello All, (sorry for this long first post)

I am a new poster in the 'Joe's CNC' forums but have been following the forum for several months. I have been a DIY CNC'r for about 3 years now, starting with a home built/designed moving table CNC machine with a 7"x9" cutting area, moved up to a Fireball V90 about 18 months ago and now just recently purchased a Joe's 2006 R2 machine from Ezra in Fresno, CA. He built it back in Nov 2010 from a kit supplied by Joe. The design is great for what it is intended to do and pretty straight forward assembly. Adjustments may take a little getting used to but overall I am impressed.

The basic construction by Ezra was pretty good so I have no complaints there and anything that is 'wrong', I should be able to fix easily. I got it home Sunday afternoon, unloaded and hooked up all the electronics again, fired it up and after making some tweaks to the Mach 3 settings, it was running pretty well. There is no top or bottom skin on the table so I did not try to mount a spoil board, I want to disassemble the entire machine, skin the table top and bottom then re-assemble after painting.

I do have a couple questions tho regarding the Y axis. The lead screw bearings on the gantry ends and the anti-backlash assembly don't seem to line up. The anit-backlash assembly is about 1/16" higher than the end bearings. See picture below tho it may not be too clear. After centering the anti-backlash nut in the center of the Y axis, clamping a straight edge to the gantry just below the lead screw and sighting across the straight edge, the center of the lead screw is higher than the ends by about 1/16". Not really a problem when running in the center of the lead screw, but there is some resistance as the y-axis approaches the ends of the throw. What I don't understand, is how this can happen with the assembly done the way it is, pretty fool proof. Any adjustments to the top bearing adjustments will try to pull the carriage 'up' but the 'up' movement is limited by the bottom bearing structure which isn't adjustable. It's almost like the bottom aluminum angle/bearing assembly needs to be about 1'/16" higher. Any ideas short of removing the bottom bearing assembly and making it 'taller'?

My plans are to dis-assemble, skin the table top and bottom (there is currently about 1/32' sag in the table which skinning will help with. Then painting and reassembling. I am excited about having the enlarged cutting area and realize the limitations on accuracy/precision on a machine made from MDF, but they can be made pretty good in both categories if you are careful. I think Joe did a great job on the design and also on the support he and others provide on this forum.

I am running Mach3 with the Gecko 540 setup. I use CamBam for code generation and ViaCad for the curved 2.5D designs tho most of my 2.5D CAD work is done in CamBam. Most of my work is in building and repairing large RC airplanes for others as well as myself and I hav found the CNC machines invaluable for repeatablility and actually use my CNC machine more than my saws for most of my work now. Quicker and more accurate.

Anyway, thanks for any ideas, I will try to give back as much as I get from this group. I have read all 140+ pages and the track record of this machine is pretty amazing.

Don

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006-dsc03405-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Atwooddon, welcome to the Joes2006CNC build

You should start your own thread . Just so next person won't have to read all of this thread to find out what you did to repair. Is it binding on both sides ? looks to me like maybe it is the Z carriage is high compared to the screw /bearing holders on the side.

If not you can elongate the bearing holders on each side of the Y axis and adjust that way . That is what I had to do. I think you are on the right track . Disassemble, paint and start over . I am betting you figure out what is wrong on the reassembly .

Good luck I am in Visalia 1 hour or so north of Fresno. I am going to be putting mine up for sale next week I hope . if you need one to look at or have question feel free to contact me

Kent

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks Kent. I thought about starting a new thread but decided it was a pretty minor thing and could be fixed pretty easily. I did read thru your posts about building the 2006 and it looks very nice.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So wow just saw this after a member linked me to the download and was wondering how much does this machine cost to build on average. I am really thinking about giving it a go or buying the firball v90, but i have access to a laser cutter so making this may be cheaper for me. Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is a thread here in the Joe's CNC forum discusssing costs. Lot's of details in there with various approaches to building a Joe's 2006.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/joes_c...mate_cost.html

Like any hobby/sport/tool 'addiction', you can spend as much money as you want to build a Joe's 2006. The real question is 'do I really have to have that part/upgrade/widgit'? ;-) In my case, the answer is usually 'yes'.

I also have a Fireball v90 and it is a good machine. The only reason I have a Joe's 2006 is I needed to cut larger pieces.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi, where can i find the Joe's 2006 CNC Plan

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ultrabrains,
    Look in the beginning of this thread.
    When I was thinking about building my machine I (like others) read this entire thread plus other related threads on the subject to get a grasp of the project.
    With this wealth of information, a smaller self designed cnc router, and time on my hands, I was able to get the Joes running in one month. Seventeen months later it still runs very well as of last night.

Good Luck,
    Fatboy

Downloads
    Uploads

Google "Joes 2006 CNC Rapidshare"

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow.
    After several hours of browsing through this thread, I've gained quite a bit of knowledge already.
    I like the design & construction techniques you used & I can't wait to get started to work on my own version.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello All
    i am new to cnc and would like to build the Joes cnc 2006 R-2 Machine. I downloaded the Zip file and now stuck on what too do.I need to open the right file and Print out all of the parts with the size to cut them out.One file is full of certificate trust list DWG file.
    I need some help thank you mark9407
    E.mail n8wzw@hotmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark, welcome....

The Joes 2006 R2 is a great machine and you will love it. Yes, you need to get the dwg files expanded to the point where you can use them. One solution is to take the files to Kinkos or similar and have them printed full size to be used as templates for cutting the pieces.

I would suggest you take the time to read thru this thread and see how others have done their builds. Some have bought the wood parts kits from Joe and others have had them cut by someone with a CNC machine while others have cut them using standard shop tools. All approaches will work, just take your time and make sure your work is accurate. It doesn't have to be pretty, just accurate for the mating pieces.

Where are you located? Maybe someone with a Joes 2006 is near you for assistance.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm about to start my Joes 2006 R2 build too and have been thinking about the MDF parts. It seems to me that many people are concerned about the weight of the gantry and the load it places on the motors (especially if using smaller motors).

Ultralight MDF is about 30% lighter (and less dense) than the regular sheets you get at hardware stores; would using that for the gantry and Z-axis carriage help lighten the load on the motors? Or do you think its lower density would cause a structural concern?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face THANK YOU

sounds good don i am here in cincinnati ohio I do hope i am in the right
    thread area for what i need to find out SIR.if there is some more area of threads i need to look at feel free to let me know.

and thank you don
    mark e.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JoyMonkey View Post
    I'm about to start my Joes 2006 R2 build too and have been thinking about the MDF parts. It seems to me that many people are concerned about the weight of the gantry and the load it places on the motors (especially if using smaller motors).

Ultralight MDF is about 30% lighter (and less dense) than the regular sheets you get at hardware stores; would using that for the gantry and Z-axis carriage help lighten the load on the motors? Or do you think its lower density would cause a structural concern?
    I would be more concerned about loosing rigidity than saving weight for the gantry. Plenty of machines out there running with the normal MDF.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up STill trying to get files open

Thank you Atwooddon for the help still working on this file .I need to open the right file and Print out all of the parts with the size to cut them out.One file is full of certificate trust list DWG file. and can these files be open.and i have not seen the sizes of the parts yet.:is the way its going LOL LOL

let me know what more i can try

Mark E. n8wzw@hotmail.com

Page 85 of 88 FirstFirst ... 357582838485868788 LastLast