New Machine Build My first CNC --- JRGO Design

Thread: My first CNC --- JRGO Design

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile My first CNC --- JRGO Design

Hello All, After several months of research and several months of talking my wife into letting me build a CNC I finally got it started!!!!

My first attempt will be based on JRGO's design. I started 2 Saturdays ago. I got everything cutout on Saturday, everything messured drilled and tapped on Sunday and Monday and now I am starting to assemble. Im only allowed about 1 hour a night during the weekdays since I have a job and a family to take care of. I have the whole thing finally built, well all I have left to do is build a box for my power supply and controller but that wont take long. Im scared to turn it on though because of all the time I have invested into it.

I have a stack of UHMW from work that I used for the anti-backlash nut, has anybody used this or is Delrin the best way to go? I thought I would try this first since it was on hand. The leadscrews are really tight though, I guess this is ok though, I guess I will find out soon.

I have download a bunch of cad/cam software to test out which seems to be the best they all seem about the same? I am trying to keep this in a 500 dollar budget and so far im doing well, but right now I want to try a freeware product and then when and if I can make back some of my money I will purchase a better software package. I hope to get the cables installed sometime today or tomorrow and get it up and running. Does anybody have any good calibration dwfs they can through my way?

My wife has a list of projects she wants me to get spit out by x-mas for presents for the family.

Well wish me luck in the next day or so.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first CNC --- JRGO Design-dsc_0013-jpg   My first CNC --- JRGO Design-dsc_0014-jpg   My first CNC --- JRGO Design-dsc_0016-jpg   My first CNC --- JRGO Design-dsc_0017-jpg  

My first CNC --- JRGO Design-dsc_0018-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice build. How powerful are your stepping motors? I found on mine if I could not turn them with out difficulty with my fingers they would not work. I am using 260 motor's as I remember. Don't be afraid to fire it up. It took me two weeks to get mine running but now it just putts along doing its thing. You can see how I did mine on my thread and what I used. I used Delrin as I found that UHMW as to sticky. I did use UHMW for the adjusters on the Y and Z axis adjusters but found it not strong enough for the X as it was sagging from the weight. I did us Delrin for the Z lead screw to sit on with two acme nuts cinched together sitting on a washer ontop of the Delrin. This works very well. Use vasline with graphite mixed in with it to lub this. I am sure you will get it going. Others were helpful to me when I had a problem and the fellows at Cut2D are wonderful. Keep us posted and let there be sawdust...Ron Broken Balsa

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brentparker79 View Post
    Hello All, After several months of research and several months of talking my wife into letting me build a CNC I finally got it started!!!!_______________________________________ _______________________

_______My wife has a list of projects she wants me to get spit out by x-mas for presents for the family.

Well wish me luck in the next day or so.
    Now If u couldn't make anything out of the list, then what will u do??

You must think off the second option

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

Thanks for the reply. I am using xylotex 269oz motors. Big Big Problem though. I set out all the cables power supply and controller on my table and I followed all the instructions. I got to step 6 where you plug the power supply to the controller and powered it on. The red light comes on for a split second and shuts off. I double and tripple checked my connections and the voltage and nothing seams to work. I sent off a help request to xylotex for help. I was hopeing to get something going today as im leaving town for a few days. Well I guess I have to wait.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brentparker79 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am using xylotex 269oz motors. Big Big Problem though. I set out all the cables power supply and controller on my table and I followed all the instructions. I got to step 6 where you plug the power supply to the controller and powered it on. The red light comes on for a split second and shuts off. I double and tripple checked my connections and the voltage and nothing seams to work. I sent off a help request to xylotex for help. I was hopeing to get something going today as im leaving town for a few days. Well I guess I have to wait.
    I am assuming you have the motors hooked up to the system. On mine it seems you have to have the motors hooked up to make it work. Also what are you using for a control screen. I use Mach3 and while I don't know if it is the best, I like it. Once you understand it,its easy to use. Also won't break the bank when you buy it. ...Ron

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No I dont havethe motors hooked up I have not got that far in step. I stopped when I got to step 6 and the light on the controller did not light up. I was just looking on there website and there is not much troubleshooting info. I will wait for there tech support to call or email. I assume it will cost me based on there policy but who knows.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WOW that is a great looking router you have there. I am a little late on the replying, I see that you built this back in 2008, how has it been. I am looking to build my first one this year. I really like the way yours look. Did you also use the JGRO design that one that is in PDF format. Let me know also what is the size of your cutting bed.
    I am looking to try a cutting bed of 36"x48".

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, I got it done a couple of months ago, There were a few things that I had to work on to get just right. It took me about 40 hours to build. I would suggest using acme lead screws opposed to althread, Also my cutting area is about 13"7/16 by 36 so if you want a bigger table you will have to make your table bigger, and also the Y axis will have to be made longer also, It should be an easy change just add a few inches to most every part. I had alot of issues with getting the stepper motors working. I blew a coupel of controllers. I still have not got it completely working yet. I had to postpone it as funds were tight at the time. Now I have a honey due list about a mile long and that is not one of them. If you have any questions dont hasitate to ask. I will try to answer any questions you have. Also I found that buying the hardware from a ranch supply store was alot cheaper than buying it from lowes or home depot. I payed about $2 a pound so I sent like 20 bucks and I would have spent over 100 at lowes. So if you have one nearby I would go there first.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey , just a quiick question. I am looking at using the acme lead screw 12-10, Any suggestion as to anything better besides the ball screw is a bit pricey. is there a better acme lead screw.

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello - Nice looking build! Just started my own JGRO from the original plans too. Have you had any flexing problems with the gantry? I'm doubling the sides on mine after reading of some problems with that. Also, what is the purpose of the extra 1" hole to the front of the gantry sides??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I suggest you "don't" ignore those holes, they are to allow for the bolts on the adjustment blocks, otherwise they will hit the gantry, also limiting the width of your "Y" travel by over an inch if i'm correct, i didn't do this at first on my jgro so i had to drill them afterwards, which turned out to be an eyesore on my beautiful paint job.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My first CNC --- JRGO Design

I really want to build one of there but it putting me off with how to put bolts through mdf with out it splitting

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My first CNC --- JRGO Design

Very good job attention to detail is done here..:O)

Don't Give Up The Ship !!!