Urb's first attempt at the JGRO - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Urb's first attempt at the JGRO

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure what post but I saw someone trying to limit backlash on his z-axis so that means I'll be ordering anti-backlash leadnuts for the z-axis as well.

I ordered my electronics from Automation Tech just an hour ago. Gecko 540, some 381 steppers, and a 48v 7a power supply. When I get everything running I'll cut a box to clean it all up.

Pretty sure I'll go 1/2" 8 2-start. Some hardware from dumpster and I should be ready to cut something.

It's become expensively obvious to me that this JGRO is being made only so I can make and even better and larger table. Probably a joes 4x4. Love microcarves work as well. Would love to have a desktop cnc for perscision milling.

Never ends does it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Electronics Arrived

Got my order from Automation Tech and I'm very pleased. The g540 is small. Very small. The steppers are heavy. I was a little surprised picking up the package. Found some documentation on the Keling site and got one stepper wired to test it out. Much tuning to be done but it works. Very cool indeed.

Question. Anyone run their steppers without a resistor? My package didn't come with any. The gecko documentation said if the stepper was 3.5a I didn't need one but there would be no idle current reduction. The steppers and g540 do seem to get very warm, almost hot.

Anyways a good step forward today, no pun intended.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5424_s-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Leadscrews and Dumpster goodies

Another happy day. Few days ago I got my dumpster order. A few leadnuts, collars and clamps. Nice stuff. I can see why he's so highly regarded here. Came home today to 6' of 1/2" 10 start lead-screw. I'm in Canada so I went with the Canadian supplier SNBInc. They did not disappoint. The lead-screw is a perfect match to the dumpster hardware and the price was good.

I didn't have much time to work on the table today but I managed to cut the lead-screw down and take a pic cause we all love pictures.

Just a few more things coming in the mail and a few more trips to the local hardware store and I should have it running. Already have mach3 installed but I think my long parallel cable is causing some hickups. I'm running it off a laptop and it passed the drivertest with flying colours. Going to try a 6' parallel cable. Not sure what else it could be. The clunking noise from the steppers sounds pretty bad. If I have too I'll try it on another stronger and optimized desktop.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5427s-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Big day. Up and running.

It's a little bit of a strange feeling but I've gotten enough done to have run a few pen tests. For this initial stage it's working better than I expected. Rapids around 160ipm on the x and y without pushing the steppers hard and good accuracy with the pen.

The next phase will be limit switched as I have hit the limits a few times by accident. That emergency stop comes in handy. Have 2 solid state relays that will turn the router and vac on and off. Will probably do a height sensor as well.

Oh and maybe install the router. This is getting fun.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5430s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5432s-jpg  
    Last edited by jckstrthmghty; 02-27-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    It's a little bit of a strange feeling but I've gotten enough done to have run a few pen tests. For this initial stage it's working better than I expected. Rapids around 160ipm on the x and y without pushing the steppers hard and good accuracy with the pen.

The next phase will be limit switched as I have hit the limits a few times by accident. That emergency stop comes in handy. Have 2 solid state relays that will turn the router and vac on and off. Will probably do a height sensor as well.

Oh and maybe install the router. This is getting fun.
    Congratulations
    Looking good, must feel great!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks gmfoster. Does feel great.

Made some cuts. First was a dust boot. Just something to get me going. Have a 6hp shop vac with a hepa filter attached to a a diy cyclone. Works very great. No signs of airborn dust which is always the concern with mdf. Unfortunately doesn't work as well on plastics but my final version of the dust shoes should perform much better.

Cut out a proper z-axis motor mount. It was a source of backlash that showed every time I cut a tab. Hopefully that is fixed now.

And a pic of the bottom plate for my revised dust shoe.

Next parts to cut will be the motor mounts for the x and y axis followed by the new dust shoe. Going to pick up a 60 degree sign cutting bit. Been dying to try out that Aztec calendar. Oh and some cable management. Almost tore a motor cable out.

She flexes a bit and I'll probably cut a better design in the near future but I'm having a lot of fun learning.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5435s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5437s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5436s-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Pictures of the control box I made this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5439s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5440s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5441s-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fun Part

I wanted to test my spindles relay so I cut a fun part. It's one of the y axis braces from lionsclaws cnc build. Was easy to make the tool paths in Cut2d and the part came out perfect. Hats off to lionclaw. I think I'll keep going and build the whole thing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5443s-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Almost ready for some real projects

Still at the stage where I'm making parts for the JGRO. Just better ones these days.

Got some motor mounts done. They sure look a lot nicer than some stove bolts and nuts. Didn't have any 1/2" HDPE handy so I used some 3/4" stock. These things don't move whatsoever.

Made another gantry support for the lionclaw build I will one day complete. One day.

Enhanced the dust shoe. Put some magnets on the lower ring for quick removal and attachment. Really ghetto compared to KentCNC but it works well. Put a shorter ring of carpet runner on the inside to prevent the outer layer from collapsing inward from the vacuum pressure. Less dust is left on the surface and groves. Might buy a KentCNC dust shoe one day but for now mission accomplished.

Starting to notice some flex in the router mount so that will have to be addressed next. I ordered a 60 degree sign cutting bit. Think I'll give that Aztec calendar a try.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5446s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5445s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work, Urb! Interesting that you took off almost 4 years and got back into again. What's also kewl is that your making better parts to replace previous ones.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsz View Post
    Nice work, Urb! Interesting that you took off almost 4 years and got back into again. What's also kewl is that your making better parts to replace previous ones.
    Thanks! I'm glad I came back to cnc. You're going to love building your own. So much to learn but when you make that first cut it's all worth it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Touch plate

Was discussing touch plates for the g540 in this thread

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...zero_tool.html

It was mentioned that your -v from the g540 should be joined to the star ground and then you would only need the one input for the touch probe. Hmmm why didn't that work for me? I tried but could never get a signal. Then it dawned on me, check the plug. Turns out there was no ground on my routers plug. DOH! Ok that explains a lot. After a few test I rigged up a lead to the chassis of the router and I only require the touch plate. No more clipping a lead to the router bit to auto adjusts the z axis.

Waiting for a few end mills to arrive by mail and some limit switches. Then it's an attempt of the Aztec calendar. Hmm still have to beef up the z axis. Too much deflection even for this build.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5448s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5450s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5452s-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Aztec Calender

My 60 degree bit came in and I had a free night for once so I thought I would give the Aztec calender a try. See if the JGRO could handle some real cutting. I noticed some flexing in the z axis but overall the jgro handled the job well.

Cutting MDF at around 50ipm. I think I could go faster but I would have to brace the z axis first. Even at 50 ipm it seemed fast. Machines that cut over 100ipm must be a sight to see.

My wife is pretty happy for her new wall art.

Here's a video of the cutting action

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5461s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5463s-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hold Down Clamps

Still making parts for the table but some real projects are in the horizon. Going to upgrade from cut2d to vcarve pro soon so I can cut some signs for some friends as gifts.

Bought some t-slot and made some simple hold down clamps from off cuts of mdf. Easier and faster than screwing down the cut material. Used a 1/8" upward spiral bit this time. Easily cut at 50 ipm. As I do more I'm beginning to realize it's similar to programming that once I've set up a base library of shapes and objects it'll be fast and easy to cut many different projects. Very cool.

I just have to be careful reaching under the router with a bit. Have cut myself twice that way so far.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5464s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5465s-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5466s-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fun day off

Happy easter. Nice to have a day off and get some fun cncing in.

Made a short video of the auto tool height setter.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY40Bjr2q1Y"]Tool Height Setter

Got a chance to play with f-engrave. Took a few tries but seems like a good free option for vcarving text. I think I'll still get v-carve pro so I can do all the programming in one file.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxqfvVqkaM&feature=relmfu"]JGRO CNC - f-engrave text to a circle path

Fun day

Since I just figured out how to embed videos I'll repost the aztec calendar one. Now if I could only figure out how to justify left.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzA1IemOPgk"]JGRO CNC - Aztec Calendar

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5474-jpg   Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5475-jpg  
    Last edited by jckstrthmghty; 04-09-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think they days of my JGRO numbered as I make progress on the joes2006. Thought I would post a final picture of the first Aztec calendar I cut after I did some finishing on it. Just experimenting with some washes and dry brushing. Came out ok but I still need more practice. All the same this one is going on a wall somewhere.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-img_5522s-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks quite good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default The end

The day has come. I have taken apart the JGRO. She's just a pile of parts now. Sad to see it go. She was a good first build.

Urb's first attempt at the JGRO-182221d1366611944-urbs_joes2006_build-img_6191s-jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123