Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 192627282930 LastLast

Thread: Diary of a FoamCutter building a jgro router table

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow Dave, you look a lot different in that picture. :-)

Default A top deck dust partition and drawer slides

I've completed the drawer partitions and top plate dust partition. I thought I'd add some photos for you to view.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_3865-jpg   -img_3866-jpg  

Default Router Table Makes first Cuts today

Yesterday, I cutout, laminated the top. I also finished the tool drawers and got a good start on the bit drawers.

Today I hinged the top, and cut and installed the zero clearance plug.

Next, I'm planning to trim the table edges with hardwood, make the bottom drawer and closeout the router access door.

This table is a collection of three different designs. It has retractable wheels, retractable router, and lots of drawer space for bits and tools.

I'm real happy with the results. I drew the entire job using only VcarvePro. It's not a replacement for a professional drafting package, but I find I could draw everything in this router table using only VCarvePro.

I also cut the knobs on my lathe. No drawing was required for that job.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_3899-jpg   -img_3900-jpg   -img_3901-jpg   -20090525140947-jpg  

Default Still Almost finished with the Router table.

This is going to be a nice tool to supplement the CNC machine. Cutting profiles on the CNC then adding a round over on the manual router will be so easy. Today I assembled the Fence and dust port. Last week I added the various Tee rails.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -20090613170058-jpg  

Default video of cutting the Router Fence

The fence plans are copied from the New Yankee Work shop drawings and video. VcarvePro and Joe's 4x4 make short work of it.
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgP8TGzjGU"]YouTube - CNC Cutting of Router Fence

Default A father's day activity. A CNC project day with the girls.

What could be better then to spend Father's day with your family, doing your favorite hobby. Yup, that's what I did on my father's day. Actually, this project started well before father's day, as my two children would be out of town this weekend. So we started the project last month.

One daughter made a drawing of Ginkgo Leaves, the other designed a multi pane concept for the art, and my darling wife spent many evenings this week painting the carvings.

Today my wife and I put the final touches and framed the carving.

The first dozen pictures in this slide show are the activities in my shop with the girls, and the final product too.

What could be better then to spend Father's day with your family, doing your favorite hobby. Yup, that's what I did on my father's day. Actually, this project started well before father's day, as my two children would be out of town this week. So we started the project last month.

One daughter made a drawing of Ginkgo Leaves, the youngest designed a multi pane concept for the art, and my darling wife spent many evenings this week painting the carvings.

Today my wife and I put the final touches and framed the carving.

The first dozen pictures in this slide show are the activities in my shop with the girls, and the final product too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidcousi ... 3132/show/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -3648937175_d675c1f634_b-jpg   -3649735174_90d10c6f2c_o-jpg  

Default Making a Drill Press Table

I got a bug to make a drill press table. I guess I was reading too many DIY plans for Router Tables, and I stumbled on a few for Drill Press's. Here I decided to fore-go buying Tee tracks from Rockler rather to make my own. My buddy John Miller suggested a pivoting Fence, and I liked that idea. So here I am, making the Drill Press Table.

Drawn entirely within VcarvePro and carved on my 4x4 Hybrid. Life is good.
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySp0lTWMEFU"]YouTube - The making of a drill press table

Shot entirely with a Google G1 cell phone. The lack of quality sound is the only low point of the shoot.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -3664588266_4010f0c804_b-jpg  

Dave,

You have been doing some awesome stuff... do you ever fire the old jgro up for old times sake?

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts is The Geek in the Garage! http://www.geekinthegarage.com/

V&B,
    Sorry to say, the JGRO is no longer with me. I sold it to another RC enthusiast. I used my JGRO to cut parts for the Hybrid 4x4. That was it's last project. It cut all the parts perfectly I might add. I took the motors off the JGRO and used them on the Hybrid.

Thanks for checking in.
    Dave

OMG! your a cannibal!!!! LOL.

Glad to hear the bones went to good use.

I see your using the G1, How do you like it. I am shopping for a new phone I think its time to come out of the dark ages
    and get some sort of smart phone. I have heard good things about the G1, but I may go Crackberry do to my service provider.

Last edited by voltsandbolts; 06-30-2009 at 07:12 PM.
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts is The Geek in the Garage! http://www.geekinthegarage.com/

Hi - This is probably a silly question, but here goes anyway.

I really like your router table - looks very well done.

What I don't undertand is - when do you use a router table when you have a cnc router? Perhaps another way of asking - What is it that cannot be done on the cnc system that you felt that you needed a table router.

I like tools as well, I am just curious if this was more for fun or actual planned use.

Thanks

HarryN

Default Why a manual Router table when I have a CNC machine?

Roundover, roundover, roundovers, and different edge effects. The 3 Axis CNC machine can do the basic roundovers on one side, but not both sides. The manual router table does edge roundovers in your sleep. The 3 axis machine cannot do the fancy edge effects either. Cutting the basic shape on the CNC is great, then move to the manual router table to add the edges.

But your question about fun is good. Yes I had fun building the router table. I saw the plans for the micro lift mechanism, and that's what kicked me into gear to make it. Previously I had a cheapie Craftsman little router table stand. Adjusting the height to a precise height was a huge chore. So I didn't use it much.

V&B, I like the G1, but I like the iphone better. I didn't get the iphone because I have a family plan with the other guys. I heard the G1 was almost as good as the Iphone, and that's about right. The Iphone is still better. Young friends at work have the iphone and it seems graphically way faster. The Iphone has Google Earth, but the Google phone G1 doesn't. Just not enough graphic horsepower.