pics of my turbine - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: pics of my turbine

Downloads
    Uploads

NICE PICS Vulcom!! One of these days I need to get a cast turbine wheel and need to get going on my plane and finish my wren 54 and try to get my schreckling to self sustain and and and and ....................... Too much to do and no time. One good thing is my wife is a website designer so one of these days I'll get that up and going and the main reason for lost time is my first little one of 9 months, he is my pride and joy and I would give up all my hobbies for him but my wife is GREAT and tells me to keep all my toys so no argument here. Anyways back to your stuff are you going to put 2 KJs in that plane? If so you won't be short on power!! Nice stuff!!

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

for all of use bystanders that are interested in future turbine projects.. which part needs to be cast for an AMA sanction (picture if you could) and why does it have to be cast?

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Greg,
    I am putting 2 in it as the length is 149", ws is 149" with out the tip extensions for the mk5. I have them also as plug in and it adds 20" more to the wingspan for 169". It is 1/5th scale and taking quite awhile as for me it is an ongoing project. I am hoping for a 1 to 1 ratio for power.

Michel,
    I am not sure if I have a picture of the turbine but they are cast in a vacuum (could be wrong and somebody can correct) and they need a certification if you want to fly in AMA, MAAC and BMA. I also believe most other country's are the same. No certification and then no airtime. If you need a picture I will put one on later.
    John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey guys, Greg

Great to see that people are actually building these outside of the main stream mass produced market.

How are you going to balance all of the components? given it's to spin at ~120K.

Also,

has anyone been following the guys in South Africa and their Kero start unit. I used to subscribe to model Jet out of England, then our dollar went to *$^$@ and i couldn't justify $15.00 on the MAG.

/Mikie

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mikie,

I can't say I've been following the progress on the kero start turbine, but I have seen some stuff on it.

It is built by BMT (Baird Micro Turbines) and uses some kind of injector/atomiser for starting. It seems very interesting and from what I've heard, it seems to work well. If I remember correctly, the fuel needs to be kept very clean to avoid the injector getting clogged up. I guess it allows truly effortless and remote starts for model turbines.

http://www.bairdtech.com/

Regards
    Warren

Have a nice day...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone make any progress on getting a link to plans or has anyone offered to sell their plans? I am getting ready to undertake this project this winter and would love a good starting point. PM me or post here. Thanks, Rob.

Downloads
    Uploads

how come no one has posted any of the models they said they were going to????

thanks
    Michael T.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some pics of my balancing rig I've been working on. Sorry for the bad pics. Late at night, bad kitchen lighting and aluminum reflects nicely.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pics of my turbine-img_1342-jpg   pics of my turbine-img_1343-jpg   pics of my turbine-img_13531-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

after putting the assemble on the balancer how do you balance it??? with a grinder?

but
    I was actually looking for the solid models that some were going to post.

thanks
    Michael T.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had to make some mods to these for the electronics sensors and yes take a little off the heavy end with a grinder. This is not done yet there are 2 sensors to mount, dc motor with rubber band or o-ring to spin the shaft, control box with meters to control motor speed and vibration spikes and a strobe light so you can see where the inbalance is, like when you use a timing light on your car.

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice touch with the engraving on the end supports Greg

Ken

Downloads
    Uploads

is there place where they have the info for building a balancer I would be very interested in the specifics.

Strobe timing vs motor speed and How do you mark the location while the assemply is spinngn...ect...

thanks
    Michael T.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Ken, had some time to mess around on the cad thought it would be a nice touch. I've kind of stalled with this project, trying to get the rest of the parts together. Then maybe I could post a short video and explanation of the process.

Regards,

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a web site you might find interesting.
    http://freespace.virgin.net/cool.stu...gasturbine.htm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And here's where you can get the cast turbine and compressor wheels and other parts.

http://www.artesjet.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi gv71
    Your turbine is a kamps/kj66 hybrid could you please explain the hybrid .I am building a Kamps and have just been given some kj66 drawings as I find the detail better on the kj66 drawing. I have built the front end but am not having much sucess with the metal spinning.
    Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Tony,

Basically its a kamps compressor and turbine wheels, shaft and ngv. KJ parts are comb. chamber, fuel ring and outer case. I made dies instead of spinning the parts.

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Greg,
    Thanks for the reply,I picked up a outer case today and will proceed on the same lines. I will buy a turbine wheel as I have only just finnished my cnc mill and I am learning how to program it.Thanks again.

Tony

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

do you guys have a kj66 compressor wheels design..? im desperately needed.. i lost mine.. please.. cause i try to redesign the compressor flow..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Greg, I would really like to get more info from you on how you milled the turbine wheel - I am building a smaller model (Dia 48mm) turbine and would like to know how did you mille the blade profile?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast