mw54 home build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mw54 home build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default mw54 home build

hi all

thought you guys might like to see the turbine im building. I'll add some more pic's in a day or so.

it's the Wren mw54 mk1. you can get the plans from them for under £20. they are very helpful, even when you phone them up with stupid questions. and any part you can't be assed to make, they will have it.

if you have any questions or comments it would be nice to hear them.......... and yes i know the counter sinks are a bit wonky.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mw54 home build-c-diff-jpg   mw54 home build-c-diffr-jpg   mw54 home build-fcover-jpg   mw54 home build-ffc-jpg  

mw54 home build-mdiff-jpg   mw54 home build-rfc-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice Work. Could you post a pic of the tool post drilling attachment please.

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi RotarySMP

i will put some pics up tomorrow night for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

that wasn't the question i was expecting...... but here you go, plus some more turbine pics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mw54 home build-tp-jpg   mw54 home build-dsc00139-jpg   mw54 home build-dst-jpg   mw54 home build-d-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you machine out that diffuser yourself? I take it was a three axis tool path, with a fourth axis just indexing right? Will those blunt trailing edges be shaped by hand?

Did you make the spindle your self? What bearings are you using in there?

I like your solution for indexing in the lathe spindle. On my Mini lathe I something similar using an existing gear on the spindle (unfortunately 45 tooth is not that useful). For drilling I mounted the black and decker on the cross slide. Your solution is much more elegant.

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you machine out that diffuser yourself? I take it was a three axis tool path, with a fourth axis just indexing right? Will those blunt trailing edges be shaped by hand?

O ha ha very funny

the diffuser was first machined out on a lathe then put up in a mill to get the fins. just a 2.5d path to make them. we mounted the part in a dividing head and turned it 10degres by hand for a total of 36 fins.

yes i will have to Sharpen the trailing edge by hand. we did a number of test cuts before machining the real part and it was half way round before i noticed.

not sure if you mean the turbine spindle or the drill post spindle by this one. it would be yes to both. turbine spindle was made from a M16x140mm high tensile bolt, put between centers and turned to size. the drill post one was a MT2 drill arbor, again turned between centers down to 12mm to fit plain old bearing. the bearing's for the turbine will be ceramic bought from Wren.

like your solution for indexing in the lathe spindle.
    thanks.......

the lathe i have is a myford ML7 and the indexer for the head is a stupid price, so i made that plate that fits on the spindle then the chuck gos on and holds it in place. only problem with doing it this way you have to mount the plate before you start turning your part. normally you can turn your part take the chuck off(with the part still in it) put the chuck back on and still be in center. if you don't put the plate on first it gos a bit off center when you put the chuck back on.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a colleague at work here who builts model turbines. He has bought a bag of ceraminc balls, and is going to reload his own 608 bearings. It is supposed to save you about 90%.

Nice job on that diffuser with two D tool path plus height control and manual indexing - should be about 2.75D right

Have you made up a spot welder for the CC yet?

Regards,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

didn't know you could do that with the bearings. I'll think I'll buy mine. has he done that with his other turbines?

in two minds about the spot welder. i don't think i would use it again unless i make another turbine, but i have been looking into tig welders and i can think of a million and one uses for it...........well maybe a couple.

Nice job on that diffuser with two D tool path plus height control and manual indexing - should be about 2.75D right
    well the Z was ramping.... you could call that a 3d cut, plus the manual indexing .so i make that......... 3.436729D milling.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How's progress Blighty?
    Any new pics?

Downloads
    Uploads

hi mcmurray

not at the mo. apart from the wedges on the diff there is not a lot of machining left. i have the fuel and gas supply screw things to turn up and I'm going to start the fuel ring next week. just after xmas I'll star the CC and the Econe. Feb-March time when my bank account has recovered from xmas I'll place an order from wren for the bits i can't make. then hopefully go for the first start in April.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work on the Wren! I assembled one of the early Mk1 kits back in 2001, and have ca.100 flights on it. I have seen some of the modifications put into the mk2 and 3, and it's a pity that Wren won't update the drawings. The tunnel with a single dia bore, and the new cc would be easier to make.

Regards

Lars

Downloads
    Uploads

hi LN-jet

i hear you there.

the diff in the mk1 is a cow son to make. i have seen the other diff they use for the 54. don't know if its for the mk2 or the mk3, but you would need a cnc to make it.

single dia bore
    didn't know that. the mk1 tunnel wasn't that bad to make. it was just a pain to take it out and re-mount it to turn the other end.

next time i phone wren with a stupid question i'll see if they are going to update the plans.

so then............what's it like when you start them up for the first time?

Downloads
    Uploads

I talked to the Wren team at last years Jetpower fair in Germany, they had no intentions of updating the plans.
    The feeling when you start this one is going to be unforgettable! Even better with a full homebuild I reckon. Just be sure to watch that you have flow in the lubrication line.
    I used shop air to start mine the first time, and a 12 volt blower for the first years in field. I have since mounted the green fod guard with integrated starter. Works very well together with the Espiell Fadec.
    The original stainless vaporizer tubes wore out in less than 2 hours, and destroyed the NGV before I took action. Now the engine is apart again to change the Inconel tubes. They should last more than 80 flights, and Wren suggested that I had used fuel with high sulphur content. Sulphur eats Inconel they say. I have some pictures of the damages, and also of tha mk3 diffuser. Will try to post them when I get some time.

Lars

Downloads
    Uploads

hi LN-JET

any joy with the mk3 diffuser pic's yet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Terribly sorry! I am following too many forums, and have forgotten.
    First picture is the mk3 kit, notice also the new chamber design, and the pointed compressor nut. I bought one of these nuts when I mounted the starter. It also has a built in magnet for the fadec.
    Second picture is the stainless tubes after 3 hrs running, or should I say ruining?
    Third picture shows the mk3 tubes.
    Fourth picture shows the original ngv that suffered heat damage and deformation.

Lars

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mw54 home build-mk3kit-jpg   mw54 home build-aut_0401-jpg   mw54 home build-aut_0403-jpg   mw54 home build-aut_0407-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The diffuser looks quite different from the norm. I have also seen the tubes done on another site a couple of years ago as an experiment. They where squeezing with a pair of side cutters at opposite angles. I guess it worked as it is now in with your kit.
    I was trying to purchase another 66mm turbine wheel from Sarah (Wren) and she referred me to Dieter Albisser's site as they are no longer making them for us amature's. Not sure what I am going to do at this time.
    Keep the info coming as I find it interesting what they are changing.
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

I also find it interesting to see the development of the engine. The new chamber would be easier to fabricate, as it has no dimpled holes or swirl jets. The latest chamber design for the 66 size engines are similar, and for the homebuilder it simplifies a lot. I also imagine the crimped sticks are faster to make than the s-shaped.
    I forgot to mention the aluminium (aluminum for US readers) intake. The original drawings showed a nylon piece, but it has proven to be dimensionally unstable.
    The bearing tunnel from mk2 has a single bore straight through. The front bearing rest against a spiral wound locking ring, and the preload spring and sleeve are correspondingly longer than the mk1.
    The air supply to the bearings is machined in another way than the awkward drilling in the plans set.
    Her is an rcu thread with lots of Wren details:
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...2Cbuild/tm.htm

Lars

Downloads
    Uploads

hi guys

done another bit. wish i had of seen your post first about the inlet cone before i made this one. i didn't have any nylon so i made this one out of black delrin. wonder what will happen? wouldn't advise making it out of black as is it can go a milky white colour (color) unless you spend half an hour polishing the part.

that diff would be a dream to make on a cnc, but if you made it on a cnc could you really say "you made it"

like the CC and the fuel jets. do you know is there a difference in hole lay out between the 2 CC's. and why the new one doesn't have the dimpled holes or swirl jets.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mw54 home build-in1-jpg   mw54 home build-in2-jpg   mw54 home build-in3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Lars,

Is there any possibility for me to find and buy one of these vaporiser tube circles of the mk3 type?. I am trying to improve my home built MW 54 and Jetjoe 1400 I have. I experience poor vaporisation particularly on the JJ I have..

I would appreciate any input

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LN-JET View Post
    Terribly sorry! I am following too many forums, and have forgotten.
    First picture is the mk3 kit, notice also the new chamber design, and the pointed compressor nut. I bought one of these nuts when I mounted the starter. It also has a built in magnet for the fadec.
    Second picture is the stainless tubes after 3 hrs running, or should I say ruining?
    Third picture shows the mk3 tubes.
    Fourth picture shows the original ngv that suffered heat damage and deformation.

Lars

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    Try contacting Wren, that is where I got mine.

Lars

Quote Originally Posted by bukeym View Post
    Hi Lars,

Is there any possibility for me to find and buy one of these vaporiser tube circles of the mk3 type?. I am trying to improve my home built MW 54 and Jetjoe 1400 I have. I experience poor vaporisation particularly on the JJ I have..

I would appreciate any input

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast