Casting Engine Parts - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casting Engine Parts

Downloads
    Uploads

High quality castings require a high quality process, however, it is possible to melt and cast inclonel or other super alloys at home. And it need not be that hard, done it myself a few times actually. It has allot to do with how much material you are casting. Super alloy does not melt at temperatures far from steel. You may have a rough time casting the turbine, but you can cast the NGV using the sand casting process. If you want to cast inconel, here is a short description on how to make a small furnace capable of melting inconel:

Hollow out a spoon with a small gouge that will make up your pouring spout in a high temperature firebrick available at a refractory supply store. Put bricks around the brick with the spoon carved into it so that it forms a hollow big enough for you to place the metal to be melted, and fit a flame from an oxyacetylene torch. The bricks forming the cavity will allow the buildup of heat and enable you to melt a larger amount of metal then you would otherwise with the torch alone. Use a "rosebud" tip for the torch. Use large pipe clamps to hold the little furnace together so it will hold together when you tip it to pour the metal out. Place the metal pieces in the spoon, and melt. Depending on how big the part you are casting is will be how big your spoon is. If you want something bigger you will need to make the same apparatus but with casted refractory instead. And it will push the limit of the torch capabilities. You will dissolve gas into the melt that will limit the strength of the casting, but as long as you are casting the NGV or similar parts you should be fine.
    Other methods exist to melt super alloy or any other metals with similar melting points, which would be out of the hobbyists reach. The method I relayed to you is a method long used by instrument scientists for making one off apparatus for physics research. Physicists are a lot like hobbyists in that they have small budgets and make wacky things. A good book for this sort of thing that has information on making devises capable of very high temperatures in controlled environments is titled “procedures in experimental physics”

EDIT: Ha ha, just read a post I did earlier on this thread, done so long ago I forgot I did it., a bit better then this one, so all you Gents please disregard this last post. thanks.

cheers,
    Ray

Last edited by llilrex; 06-20-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12