Steve Huck's Demon V8 version 1.5 - Page 25

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 152223242526 LastLast

Thread: Steve Huck's Demon V8 version 1.5

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I am going to have to remake the rockers though. it looks as though Im going to have more lift on the cam than the rockers will allow without binding. not a big deal. but its a step in the wrong direction. at least this new mill can make them faster since I have a much higher spindle speed capacity.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cforcht View Post
    the big reason small engines can rev higher is less reciprocating mass than its larger counterparts.

Craig, you are right that size and weight of the parts are significant contributors to limiting engine revs. However, for engines with a given displacement and number of cylinders, the shorter the stroke (and larger the bore) the higher the engines can rev.

This is because the forces that the crankshaft and connecting rods have to bear in slinging pistons up and down do not only depend on piston mass, but the linear acceleration and deceleration that occurs to and from TDC and BDC on every revolution. This acceleration is a product of the engine revs and the stroke length of the engine, modified a little by subtitles such as the ratio between rod and stroke length.

As the piston velocity is a function of stroke length at a given engine RPM, and this velocity is reversed at the end of each stroke, the acceleration is also non-linear with peaks around TDC and BDC. Peak acceleration is where the parts are loaded the hardest due to inertia – most likely to fail. Now, peak piston acceleration depends on the square of engine revs, so inertial loads go up exponentially with longer stroke length.

These forces may be reduced by using light pistons or by reducing the piston acceleration by reducing the stroke length. If you want to preserve the displacement, but want to use light pistons running through a short stroke you need to add cylinders.

These pages may add some insight:

Piston Motion: The Obvious and not-so-Obvious, by EPI, Inc.

Piston motion equations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Red to red and black to black, or it's ashes to ashes and dust to dust.

Downloads
    Uploads

ok that made my head hurt after reading it. way more than I need to know for this little hobby engine. however if I were going racing Im sure id want to know this stuff. glad somebody here would be able to contribute to the cause if needed though. might not need it today but you never know what tomorrow will bring. thanks and keep the tech posts coming, we all learn things from them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, the SPAMbot is really letting its naughty bits show with two almost parallel post under different new identities! Here today, gone tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick81 View Post
    I have made a little progress. not anything really amounting to much other than buttoning up some of the small things. I got the intake and exhaust ports done in the heads as well as the ports in the intake. engraved the valve covers with the heartbeat logo. got the heads fully assembled aside from the rockers. thats about it for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by 848222bfhh View Post
    I have made a little progress. not anything really amounting to much other than buttoning up some of the small things. I got the intake and exhaust ports done in the heads as well as the ports in the intake. engraved the valve covers with the heartbeat logo. got the heads fully assembled aside from the rockers. thats about it for now.

Red to red and black to black, or it's ashes to ashes and dust to dust.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AMCjeepCJ View Post
    (Looked all over for something to click on so I could get emailed updates on this thread but posting is the only way I know to do it, if anyone knows what to click on PM me the instructions~)
    Just for reference:

By posting a reply you have subscribed to the thread. To subscribe without posting (or to unsubscribe) go to the Thread Tools menu in the thread header.

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys for the PM and the post on where to subscribe... I'm getting the email updates now~

Craig, I have a Mori Seiki lathe also, it's a CL-20 but I don't have live tooling unfortunately. That is why I was looking over how you had your machines laid out in your shop, my main CNC's are literally almost identical in size and weight to yours, it's kind of funny.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of longevity you might expect out of a little engine like this if I were to put it in a very small motorcycle just to putt around under 30mph tops and most likely 5-10mph most of the time?

I make custom wheels amongst other things and that engine would be the coolest thing I've ever seen in a small custom built bike.....and the sound!!!!! My little Honda ZB50 goes about 40mph now with just under 3hp, so power isn't going to be an issue. I just cannot think of a cooler thing to build that a V8 minibike with just about every piece custom made, I might even spin up all the fasteners out of SS just to say I did, lol~

Thanks so much for the writeup on your progress, I'm eagerly awaiting updates and a youtube vid of it running in the future.

EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

Downloads
    Uploads

ok your lathe is about the same size but is your mill 30x60 table travels too? my old mill was 16x32. served me very well for the last 10yrs. but decided to upgrade. gotta say I am happy with it. Now that the wire edm is functional again. Its actually cutting a part right now. nothing fancy. just trying to learn how to run it. had a few issues so far but most have been software and figuring out how the control works. needless to say the mits control is far from intuitive. and nothing like a fanuc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lol never heard anyone say a Fanuc is intuitive....that mitsubishi must be a POS.

ok your lathe is about the same size but is your mill 30x60 table travels too? my old mill was 16x32. served me very well for the last 10yrs. but decided to upgrade. gotta say I am happy with it. Now that the wire edm is functional again. Its actually cutting a part right now. nothing fancy. just trying to learn how to run it. had a few issues so far but most have been software and figuring out how the control works. needless to say the mits control is far from intuitive. and nothing like a fanuc.

Downloads
    Uploads

The mits is not really a pos. Its just really foreign to me after running fanuc based for 27 plus years

Downloads
    Uploads

needless to say the mits control is far from intuitive. and nothing like a fanuc.
    nowhere in this statement did I say that the Fanuc was intuitive. Im sure a die hard mits guy would find the Fanuc a PITA, which is how I feel about the Mits control.

on a side note heres the part I cut on the EDM. nothing fancy but it turned out exactly as it should have. pictures kinda crappy though. no its not an engine part. its a sear for a 1911 pistol in O-1 tool steel.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome shop! Engine too!! Ive been waiting a long time and finally starting next month to build my own shop. I've been a machinist over 20 years and would love to get my hands on the engine plans for my first project. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Steve?
    Cant wait for more pictures!

Downloads
    Uploads

Please excuse me! I'm old

Last edited by RFB; 03-19-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: misplaced post

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a fascinating thread. I have contemplated building a scaled engine but, I never got past the CAD/CAM stage and 1 test cut to prove my tool path. It was mentioned that machining a helical rotor would require a 4th axis. My test cut machined 1/3 of the profile of a helical rotor on a 3 axis CNC milling machine. The full profile would have required indexing the rotor twice at 120° increments. There is a small shelf in the tool path so it requires using a 220° back cut spherical end mill. The tool path was generated with a lobe at 180° as shown in the last picture. The basic rotor profile is comprised of 324 arcs (involute curve) with varying radii. Excluding the right hand rotor you can see that there is basically a straight line between the inside of the high lobe at each end of the rotor.

Due to the small shelf at each end of the rotor you cannot use a surface generated tool path. I offset the rotor Geometry (1/3 of the profile or rotor tip to rotor tip) by .25" for a 1/2" diameter 220° back cut spherical end mill, generated points along the section of the Geometry spaced at .015", translated the Geometry with points at a distance equal to 1/10th of the overall length of the rotor and then rotated the result at -6°. After having translated Geometry twice I now had three of what I refer to as bulkheads. I created a spline using a common point on each of the three bulkheads. After creating the spline I deleted the three points so as to prevent confusion. When all splines had been created I had a 1/5th segment of the rotor tool path. By translating and rotation the 1/5th segment 5 times I had the full length rotor length. Next I tied every other spline together at the start and end of the rotor tool path. That resulted in a zig-zag tool path with a 60° helical twist. It was extremely slow and tedious but, It resulted in an almost polished surface finish.

Well I forgot to account for a lead into the tool path so you need to translate and rotate the 1/5th segment beyond each end of the rotor. That maintains the helix and you can trim the length afterwards.

ROTATING ROTORS IN CONSTANT MESH: http://flickcabin.com/public/view/full/153169 < SLOW TO LOAD

TEST TOOL PATH:

STATIONARY ROTORS IMAGE:

Last edited by RFB; 03-19-2013 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added picture

Downloads
    Uploads

RFB your model Looks good. in fact it looks very much like the real rotor design of a roots blower with the lands on the ends of the lobes. although I didnt understand most of your explanation and would really like to. but its early and I havent had but half a cup of coffee yet. I have been dabbling in learning solid works the last couple weeks. pretty slow progress since Im doing the self taught method like I normally do. But in doing so I have revisited my engine and getting back into the engine mode. Maybe I will get some work done on it sometime soon. its still sitting here on the desk waiting for me to come back to it. after much deliberation I think I am going to re-make the crank. I just dont have much faith in the multiple piece crank idea. yes I have them made but I just cant get past the idea that one piece would be more reliable than multiple pieces bolted together. getting back to your helical rotors. I would like to have a look at your CAD model if you would be so kind. I tinkered with the helical design a bit and was less than pleased with my results. the mesh didnt come out right and kept having to alter the profile and still just didnt seem right. please contact me if you would. heres a couple renderings from my solidworks tinkerings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Craig,

Im doing the self taught method like I normally do
    Good on You! There is no better teacher than one's self. When I purchased Mastercam (1st Windows version) the sale include ? hours of tutoring. I never attended class. I have always believed that if you have to read the instructions or be schooled then you are probably not smart enough to use the technology.

The images were developed using the Mastercam shading studio. My learning process dropped off prior to Solids. Surfaces are the extent of my knowledge and that has satisfied my needs. However I'm so picky that I don't like the result of most surface/s developed tool paths. When exact precision is required then I prefer to create the Geometry myself. I program in Mastercam v7 or v9 depending on my location. All of the blower prototype was done several years ago and the tool path no longer exist. However I do have the CAD files but, you would learn nothing if I were to give them to you. I will show you how to generate your own profile. You can then use your own discretion for who you share it with. My only request is that you do not share it with anyone that will market a product using the technology. If they plan to make money then let them do their own homework!

The technology is highly sought after. With the exception of the epicycloid and hypocycloid profile <(read on) it is the only thing that I have not been able to locate on the internet. Just recently there was a person from India that posted in CNC Zone and openly asked for the profile because his company could not develop a working profile. Next he attempted to contract with someone to write a program for their Hass. I can proudly state that I dropped the hammer on him both times.

Send a PM with your e-mail address so we can exchange information. I do not have Windows 7 e-mail setup so I cannot use the CNC Zone PM.

The test cut that I showed was actually developed from a different profile. The old profile did not maintain a constant mesh and I was not driven to perfection back when the profile was developed. The more recent development was a Do It or Die Trying effort. First I schooled myself in developing epicycloid and hypocycloid curves for a constant meshing rotor profile. The process did developed a constant meshing rotor profile. However the rotors had a very large mass and would have been very inefficient. Learning the cycloid method was entertaining but, otherwise a total waste of time. Without having a CAD/CAM program I would not have been able to create the profile. The GMC 6-71 supercharger is rated at 411 cubic inches of displacement per revolution and my profile produces 410.6 or 411 when rounded. The profile maintains a constant mesh with zero interference so I did it before I died. It is so damn simple that I cannot believe the amount of time I spent before figuring it out.

Below are pictures of the HTD belt drive system I built back when I was racing gokarts. They are 8mm but, could easily be scaled to 3mm or 5mm. The ones without a flange are two piece and were used on the rear axel. Each tooth count had it's own profile so as to prevent the belt cogs from scrubbing on departure. The sprockets were machined with a Woodruff type cutter with a full radius and multiple sprocket teeth were machined at each index. That is why the index plate looks strange. Inside of the square block is a piston the actuates the index lock pin. The lock pin also serves as a spool valve which controls the actuation cylinder. The actuation arm on the pivot has a sprag bearing so that it does not drag the spindle back when the cylinder retracts. The process had to be coordinated and activated with a single pneumatic valve.

The engines were Italian road race motorcycle engines with a six speed transmission. The splined output shaft presented a problem with aluminum sprockets. Others had tried pressing steel hubs in the aluminum sprockets but they would come apart in short order. Solid steel sprockets would cause the output shaft to break due to the weight. Every engine came with a 13 tooth sprocket which nobody used so they were plentiful. Unfortunately I did not preserve an image of the back side of the drive sprockets. My approach was to machine a cavity in the shape of the 13 tooth sprocket which would facilitate mounting the aluminum HTD sprocket over the 13 tooth chain sprocket and then secure both with a cap nut.

RFB

Downloads
    Uploads

RFB
    way back when, I started on mastercam 286 which is really old. it ran on an old 386 computer. man was that thing slow. all I had was a slim manual and no idea what I was doing. it was the first CAM program I have ever laid eyes on. In fact up to that point I had always done it on the machine. I didnt know there was a PC program that would do that kind of stuff. since then I have followed through with the various upgrades. I stalled on Ver 9 though. I was shown X version and hated it. it took so many more clicks to do the same thing it seemed like I was just trying to check the mouse's cyclic rating. but once I bought the live tooling lathe I saw the benefits of the X version. I handled the C axis much easier than Ver 9 did. so I made the switch. My CAD program has been historically Autocad. I have been a true blue fan of it for many years. But a friend of mine talked me into actually giving Solidworks an honest try instead of the precursory glance I had always given competing CAD programs. I have to say I do like it. its different thats for sure. but we're starting to see eye to eye. still have a long way to go. but i can usually get things done.

right now Im in the process of getting my 4th axis working with my machine. more or less Im just waiting for my service guy / friend to get here to tie it into the machine. its was a Yuasa cnc indexer I picked up on fleabay a few years ago. It did work. but I have since adapted a larger Fanuc servo to it and got it ready for full 4th axis use instead of indexer. of course now I have a cnc indexer control and servo I dont know what to do with. oh well. it might go back on ebay someday unless I can find some use for it.

anyway gotta keep it short my lathe is waiting for me.

Hello,
    I'm brand new to the site and just read this whole thread it's great. The last post I see is from a year ago was there a new thread started or am I missing something?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I think work picked up and he got busy so there hasn't been much progress.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
    I think work picked up and he got busy so there hasn't been much progress.
    Ok thanks I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a second thread or something I didn't know about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Steve Huck's Demon V8 version 1.5

awesome thread ....

you can post work stuff if you like , im sure there wont be too many complaints

but progress would be great, *nudge nudge*

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 152223242526 LastLast