lathes

Thread: lathes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you never know what you can do, until you have to undo something you have done!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why would anyone....other than price?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by philserveng View Post
    Why would anyone....other than price?
    Do you have any experience with one? We have a 2000 hit 15s that we have ran for 7 years with very little problems. We just got an 07 skt 21 because of the other one being such a good reliable machine. Just need to get the threading figured out a little better.

Downloads
    Uploads

I used to run an SKT21 LMS, the machine was ok i guess. i never could get it to rigid tap right (live spindle or main) i wound up havind to use a floater to get a decent thread. there tech support is a little lacking unless you speak Korean. Cumsa hamita....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default cheap and nasty

is an English expression for something lacking in quality. Kia machines are old designs of the former Hitachi-Seiki company. They are built to a price, look the same as the Hitachi did, but believe me they are not of the same quality.

Look at Takisawa and Takisawa(Taiwan) machines, same ****......different place.

---------------------------------------------------------
    You only get what you pay for.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You still did not say if you have any experience with them. The machine comes from the factory with a one year warranty on the machine and two year on the control so at least they give a good warranty, better than most I have seen.The other lathe we have has always made good parts, and only three times has it broke. One was the keyboard two was a driver card in back cabinet three was a spark arrester on the spindle motor fan.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You obviously don't want my advice, you seem to be convinced by the sales pitch of this company. Warranty does not mean reliability, it just means they will fix faults for a year before they walk away.

Fanuc is a near bullet proof control, so 2 years warranty on the control is quite common.

A friend of mine is one of the UK agents for these machines, and I know there are reliability issues. But as we say over here.................

"you pays your money and you takes your choice"

*Registered User*
    Downloads
    Uploads

What do you need to know about threading?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I run a SKT 250MS and have had very few problems but it does have its querks.
    Mine has an 18-i controller. Mine has a "Main Rigid tap on and off" code, Then I have another rigid tap code that specify's where I want it to take place, main spindle,
    sub spindle or live tool.

*Registered User*
    Downloads
    Uploads

These KIA machines will run for years making high quality parts, but at some time each and every machine will require service. If you don't have a good dealer, then any high quality machine will be of no value to you. Over the years Kia has built machines that sell at a reasonable price and has made a lot people a lot of money. I am an independent, repairing all kinds of machines. Most of the manufacturers expect the dealer to take care of the customer. I find that this quality of service varies widely around the world.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default B+ axis Over Travel fault

I see you guys are talking about Kia's . I have a Kia SKT15 lms and I am getting a Fault ( 500 over travel : +B ) . after the machines Homes. Does anyone Know what the problem might be. Last year I had a Similar problem with a -B over Travel fault and it was a proximity sensor, and the machine would'nt run. this time I checked the proximity sensors and they seem ok and the machine will still run after you clear the fault. Leading up to this problem the machine was running a few days ago and the B axis lost it's position slightly and bumped the cutoff tool and kept running with the error. I reset the B axis offset and it ran for another day and it happened again but with the error in the other direction this time. Has anyone experienced this before.
    Thanks David N

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think you slipped the coupling between the motor and the ball screw. I believe #500 is the software limit or the stored stroke limit.

Stored stroke I believe is parameter #1321 or close by. Adjust the + limit and see if the alarm goes away after referencing.

*Registered User*
    Downloads
    Uploads

The mudracer may be right about the B-Axis motor to leadscrew slipping. This is the likeliest reason. However, I had a SKT21LMS that I worked on that I never got fixed. It would home out but could be off one revolution either way. It never would change while the machine was on but the next day could revert to the previous location, always by one revolution. Fanuc and Kia could never fix it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default B+ axis Over Travel fault

I spent a few hours yesterday homing the machine and testing all the limits over and over again. I did notice that after the machine homed the machine position would register .0191 for B axis not Zero. I called the dealer I got the machine from last year and they suggested I Shut the machine off and power it up holding the "P" ( which is also the "O" ) and "Cancel" buttons down while the computer boots. It worked. I homed the machine and all axis Zero'ed correctly.
    I did'nt stop there though. I checked the limits over again and would sometimes get that .0191 error again. It I believe is the amount of B+ axis over travel which the parameter is set to 500 ( 1/2 a millimeter). So I think maybe that the software limit is too close to the home prox sensor. I'm going try mudracers advice and increase that limit to 1000 like it is set for the x and y axis ( and watch it closely). Most likely the the coupling slipped a little on the Ball screw, ( the screws on it weren't very tight).
    I had a similar problem to Lyfordln with a Bridgeport 760Vmc z axis homing some times off by a revolution , and it was that the homing proximity switch was too close to the timing mark on the encoder. All it took was moving the trip dog a little so it would hit the switch aprox 180 degrees from the timing mark on the encoder.

Thanks for the replies

Last edited by tapburrbit; 04-12-2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo's

Downloads
    Uploads

Be carefull when using the cancel+P while booting. If you slip up and hold delete+p youll wipe out the parameters and cancel+del+p wipes out the entire controll.

as for the stored stroke error. if you cant get it fixed add a g23 to your program start line and this will ignore any saftey zones.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We recently also got our SKT21 LMS with a 0I TC controller. We faced the same problem with ridgid tapping. Then we got the advise by KIA to activate rigid tapping with M126 and after that it worked fine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Ridgid Tap with main spindle and live tool !

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    I used to run an SKT21 LMS, the machine was ok i guess. i never could get it to rigid tap right (live spindle or main) i wound up havind to use a floater to get a decent thread. there tech support is a little lacking unless you speak Korean. Cumsa hamita....
    Hey I'm using these G-code sequences for rigid tapping on my SKT 21 LM (Fanuc Oi-Tc)

%
    O0700 (RIGID TAP MAIN SPINDLE)
    G28 U0. W0.
    G40 G80
    G99
    T0606 (TAP 3/8-16)
    G0 X0. Z.5
    M122
    G97 S500 M3 (speed)
    M129
    G84 X0. Z-.5 R0. F.0625
    (X-> position, Z->depth, R->retract in front of the workpiece, F->feed in in./rev. <pitch of thread>)
    G80
    M128
    M123
    G28 U0. W0.
    M30
    %

%
    O0002(FACE RIGID TAP LIVE TOOL)
    G28 U0. W0.
    T0606(TAP 3/8-16 FACE LIVE TOOL)
    M43
    G98
    G0 X0. Z.5 C0.
    M90 (use the high pressure c-axis brake if you don't want any torque limit alarm)
    P4 P1000 (use a pause to let the ''M90'' going all the way before tapping starts)
    G97 S500 M13
    M126
    M129
    G84 X0. Z-.875 C0. P500 R0. F31.25
    (X->position, Z->depth, C->angle of main spindle, P->pause of .5 second at the bottom of hole, R->retract in front of the workpiece, F-> feed in in./min <pitch of thread multiplied by speed>)
    G80
    M128
    M127
    M91
    G28 U0. W0.
    M40
    M30
    %

If any questions about, this send me a private message