Help locating correct Powermax45 trigger wires for remote CNC start

Thread: Help locating correct Powermax45 trigger wires for remote CNC start

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help locating correct Powermax45 trigger wires for remote CNC start

It seems that it is not easy to located the correct trigger wires for remote start. I used a multimeter and found the wires in the handle that connect when the trigger is pulled. That did not work. I am updating my cnc plasma table with a new Hyperherm Powermax45. I need to connect the remote start connectors on my CandCnc DTHC card to the wires coming from the start trigger on the hand torch. The wiring diagram shows that the pulling the trigger connects the violet to the blue wire. (#1 to #3 wire). I put a vampire tap on each of the wires (inside of the case) and run wires back to my DTCH card and plug them onto the correct spot. Upon testing I get a "torch stuck on/off" error message on the Powermax45. This same technique worked fine on my older Thermal Dynamics machine. The Hypertherm has a safety switch in the handle that is bypassed when I use this method and I assume the error is a resulting from bypassing the safety switch. Should I tape the trigger on the hand torch closed and wire my remote start "inline" on the single trigger wire? I sure would appreciate comments from anyone who has wired up one of these Powermax45 for CNC applications. I do have the manuals from their website but it does not help on how to do this. Also I have read 2 articles from this forum but they did not cover this topic.
    Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

The Hypertherm Powermax units (45, 1000, 1250 and 1650) all have available machine torches.....,when the machine torch is plugged into the quick connect receptacle, the power supply recognizes it and allows for the remote start signal to be accessed on the interface connector on the rear panel....this connector also has a 50:1 divided arc voltage output and an arc transferred signal.

The Hypertherm hand torches have a safety trigger switch, and a safety circuit that attempts to not allow having a separate remote start switch attached at the same time the hand torch is attached. This is done for safety reasons...Imagine a remote switch firing the hand torch when you did not want it to fire...such as when you are changing consumables, or when the torch is setting next to a high pressure gas cylinder. Hypertherm made these safety decisions a few years ago after an accident in the field caused a serious fire in a shop....because of misuse of a remote start input.

There are many in the field that have bypassed this circuitry......and it involves cutting and splicing wires in the torch handle, or in the power supply....unfortunately, because this circuit is designed as a safety circuit, I cannot offer you advice on how best to defeat it! I recomend either using the machine torch for machine cutting applications....or, if you use the hand torch you must modify the wiring to the trigger circuit at your wn risk.

Jim Colt Hypertherm.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryrigge View Post
    It seems that it is not easy to located the correct trigger wires for remote start. I used a multimeter and found the wires in the handle that connect when the trigger is pulled. That did not work. I am updating my cnc plasma table with a new Hyperherm Powermax45. I need to connect the remote start connectors on my CandCnc DTHC card to the wires coming from the start trigger on the hand torch. The wiring diagram shows that the pulling the trigger connects the violet to the blue wire. (#1 to #3 wire). I put a vampire tap on each of the wires (inside of the case) and run wires back to my DTCH card and plug them onto the correct spot. Upon testing I get a "torch stuck on/off" error message on the Powermax45. This same technique worked fine on my older Thermal Dynamics machine. The Hypertherm has a safety switch in the handle that is bypassed when I use this method and I assume the error is a resulting from bypassing the safety switch. Should I tape the trigger on the hand torch closed and wire my remote start "inline" on the single trigger wire? I sure would appreciate comments from anyone who has wired up one of these Powermax45 for CNC applications. I do have the manuals from their website but it does not help on how to do this. Also I have read 2 articles from this forum but they did not cover this topic.
    Thanks in advance.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Using a hand torch in cnc application is not inherently unsafe.

The reality is that most cnc tables will use the hand torch because of cost and availability. Hypertherm is aware of this. If they truely were concerned about safety, they would make the machine torch available at a more reasonalble price instead of $600 more than the hand torch, the cost of production is probably not much different. Companies are concerned about product liability more than safety. So we result in a less safe situation for the customer but the company is not liable. This is the way some things are so I accept it and move on.

jr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

jim colt never said u cant do it.. but he said he wont tell you how to do it because he works for hypertherm. that safety feature can be bypassed if you search on the board for hypertherm 45 lots others did it and they did put up detailed info on how to do it..

Downloads
    Uploads

You are correct on the liability issue.....the whole reason that we have the safety feature is due to the fact that a user stored his hand torch by wrapping it around a high pressure cylinder of acetylene. The operator thought he had the torch mounted on a track burner, pushed the remote start button....and the hand torch ignited the cylinder...no one was seriously hurt....but in typical court fashion...the company with the deepest pockets pays! The new building was rather expensive...and if someone had gotten seriously hurt or killed...the situation would have been much worse. It was a dumb mistake on the operators part....Hypertherm had to pay for it!

The safety trigger is there for a reason on hand torches.....and while it gets bypassed often....I cannot offer you advise on how to bypass it, as I like my job at Hypertherm.

In the real world...over 90% of the Powermax units are sold with hand torches....only a small number of hand torches are actually used on CNC machines. The machine torch has a lot of advantages.....yet is produced in very low volumes...and manuafcturing cost is considerably higher. If you compare list prices...the difference between a hand torch and a machine torch for the Powermax45 is about $300.

Personally, I would love to see the machine torch be offered at a lower price...however that is in the control of bean counters that calculate selling prices based on manufacturing costs.

And.....it is very clear to me that Hypertherm has operator safety on our mind before anything else. Liability and safety are often recorded under the same topics. Take a look at our products and you will see more safety features than any other brand of plasma systems...bar none. This particular safety feature would have been implemented regardless of any liability issues...it truly makes sense.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by jerryrigge View Post
    The reality is that most cnc tables will use the hand torch because of cost and availability. Hypertherm is aware of this. If they truely were concerned about safety, they would make the machine torch available at a more reasonalble price instead of $600 more than the hand torch, the cost of production is probably not much different. Companies are concerned about product liability more than safety. So we result in a less safe situation for the customer but the company is not liable. This is the way some things are so I accept it and move on.

jr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

what I don't inderstand is that if there is only a 300 dollar difference between the hand torch and the machine torch, why then can I buy a powermax 45 for $1550 with the hand torch but if I try to buy the powermax 45 with a machine torch ( no hand torch) it costs over $2000. It should only be $1850. Thats what really burns me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Suggested retail price for a Powermax45 with a hand torch (I don't have the exact number right at the moment) is around $2200, suggested retail with a machine torch is roughly $300 more than that. A few differences are that the machine torch versions have an interface cable, and slightly different consumables kits.

Distributors get discounts from the factory based on their purchasing volume, and since hand torch systems are over 90% of the total of the Powermax systems purchased, then hand torch systems have better discounts. Some distributors choose to sell their inventory in higher volume and with lower profit margins, usually over the internet. Internet sales often mean that the distributor does not have to pay a counter man, a sales man, and a delivery guy, and often avoids training the customer. This allows them to discount the unit to the max. Since they sell more hand systems than mechanized....the price on the hand systems is better.

So, if a distributor buys 1000's of hand systems annually, and maybe 100 mechanized systems annually, they will offer the hand system at a lower price. How a distributor can sell a hand held Powermax45 at just over $1500 and still stay in business is beyond me!

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats the standard price from my local Norco. It would be cool if hypertherm would take the hand torch back from the dealer and exchange for the machine torch+ $300. My current torch has been fired once, any chance they would exchange it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is an interesting video I found on you tube for converting a Powermax 45 for CNC.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr0WJ_1OaIY"]YouTube - PowerMax45 for CNC[/nomedia]

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe your distributor will do that for you? Hypertherm is the engineering and the manufacturing, all sales are through OEM's (machine manufacturers) and distributors.

I'll forward the suggestion on to our manual systems team.

jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default PowerMax45 for CNC

YouTube PowerMax45 for CNC

Long story short - It works
    I asked myself:
    Why are there no comments on the video? Is it just BS and they try to F-up your system? The answer is: Not too many people are trying to have a Powermax 45 Handtorch linked to a Torchmate 2x4 System.
    Since there were no better solutions other than tapping into the "Trigger"
    I purchased the plug(only) for a machine torch ($20) at my hypertherm supplier.
    I follow the video and: It works. I am glad to be the first on this one. Somebody will be happy. TTYS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you say more about how you hooked up just the plug for the machine torch? Did you switch it out with the original plug on the 45 hand torch.
    thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

My comments:

-The Powermax45 systems are all "cnc ready" from the factory....just use the torch designed for cnc cutting...which is the machine torch. The machine torch is designed for mounting on mechanized cutting applications such as cnc machines, pipe cutters, robots, etc. The hand torch is ergonomically designed to fit a human hand!

-The video shows a method of bypassing the safety trigger interlock that only allows the hand torch to fire using the trigger switch. By bypassing a factory engineered safety circuit....I suspect that there could be some liability involved in the event of a fire that was caused by doing this. Firing a hand torch from a remote control...could be dangerous.

-Hypertherm sells 20 hand torch systems for every 1 machine torch system sold. While hand and machine torch systems are similar, when you produce a product like this in higher volume your manufacturing costs go down. That is why hand torches are less costly than machine torches.

-The safety trigger interlock that does not allow the start input to operate (through the rear panel interface connector) when a hand torch is plugged in...was designed after an end user fired a hand torch from a remote switch...the hand torch was stored (wrapped around) a high pressure acetylene cylinder....which exploded and burned the facility down. Fortunately no one was seriously injured. The operator thought the torch was mounted on a track burner machine. Replacing the building and its contents was rather costly!

Bottom line:

There are many ways to modify the wiring to allow a remote start input on any plasma system. The official recommendation from Hypertherm is to use a machine torch for cutting applications that require remote start, and use a hand torch for cutting by hand, with the torch activated by the trigger switch.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Fire View Post
    YouTube PowerMax45 for CNC

Long story short - It works
    I asked myself:
    Why are there no comments on the video? Is it just BS and they try to F-up your system? The answer is: Not too many people are trying to have a Powermax 45 Handtorch linked to a Torchmate 2x4 System.
    Since there were no better solutions other than tapping into the "Trigger"
    I purchased the plug(only) for a machine torch ($20) at my hypertherm supplier.
    I follow the video and: It works. I am glad to be the first on this one. Somebody will be happy. TTYS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hand Torch Machine Plug

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma...iy_plasma.html

Check this post for machine plug parts and wiring

Downloads
    Uploads

The torch modification string here from ivansgarage needs a couple of comments from me!

1. In the photo's...the torch "parts in place" safety switch is bypassed. Very dangerous.....this can allow up to 300 volts DC to be present (under certain circumstances) when changing consumables in the torch (if the main power is not shut off for the plasma system). This can be lethal voltage!

2. To me.....the amount of time that would be required to modify a perfectly good hand torch into a machine torch would make this not cost effective at all. And now you don't have a hand torch!

3. If you use the machine torch on a cnc machine for some paid work....just a few hours of work will justify the cost.

I leave my machine torch on my cnc machines.....and use the hand torch for hand cutting...it takes 10 seconds to unplug the machine torch and plug in the hand torch on my Powermax45 (on a Torchmate 2 x 4 machine) or my Powermax85 (on a PlasmaCam DHC2 machine). The hand torch is very good for cutting up the skeleton from a 4 x 4 sheet into easily movable pieces for the scrap bin...as well as many other shop applications.

Plasma uses relatively high open circuit voltages....be very careful if you decide to modify anything involving the torch or leads!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by ivansgarage View Post
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma...iy_plasma.html

Check this post for machine plug parts and wiring

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim,

I agree with you that turning a hand torch into a machine torch makes no sense. But what I don't understand is why the other plasma companies don't have a "safety lockout". Heck lincoln puts raw tip volts to their interface, which is fantastic and works alot better than divided volts. These features on a hypertherm really make them a pain to hook up and I don't see how using a machine torch is going to make it pay for itself, when the hand torch can do the same thing.

I encourage clients to get the machine torch , but when they ask me why they have to pay $400 more plus lose the hand cutting abilities I don't have a good reason. They don't want to hear about bulk manufacturing discounts, they just want pricing that make sense. And I suspect not all or the machine torch vs hand torch price differnce is due to manufacturing.

Downloads
    Uploads

We are working on some system configurations that will come with both hand and machine torches...at a discounted price. Hopefully we will be able to offer that soon.

Safety will never be compromised on Hypertherm systems, regardless of what other manufacturers offer. I can assure you of that. Raw arc voltage is at a lethal level with any plasma system.

I agree that the torch prices seem high. I confronted our Powermax systems team....they sat me down and showed me all of the manufacturing cost comparisons.....and the pricing differences are real.

In reality.....anyone that can read the electrical schematic (in the included operators manual) with any Hypertherm system could bypass the safety trigger. While...as a Hypertherm employee I cannot suggest doing so....I certainly understand why it is often done.

Hypertherm also supplies detailed instructions for accessing Raw arc voltage. The reason that raw arc voltage is not accesible on the rear panel connector....is that to meet CSA (North American Safety standards as well as CE (European safety standards) you cannot have voltage that high available on a connector that also carries low control voltage....if there are systems that do that...then they should not have a CSA/CE certification. Today...the only torch height control that I am aware of that still uses raw arc voltage in Torchmates AVHC....and they are working on a change to allow for divided voltage....which is safer, and makes no difference whatsoever to the THC's operation.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    We are working on some system configurations that will come with both hand and machine torches...at a discounted price. Hopefully we will be able to offer that soon.

Safety will never be compromised on Hypertherm systems, regardless of what other manufacturers offer. I can assure you of that. Raw arc voltage is at a lethal level with any plasma system.

I agree that the torch prices seem high. I confronted our Powermax systems team....they sat me down and showed me all of the manufacturing cost comparisons.....and the pricing differences are real.

In reality.....anyone that can read the electrical schematic (in the included operators manual) with any Hypertherm system could bypass the safety trigger. While...as a Hypertherm employee I cannot suggest doing so....I certainly understand why it is often done.

Hypertherm also supplies detailed instructions for accessing Raw arc voltage. The reason that raw arc voltage is not accesible on the rear panel connector....is that to meet CSA (North American Safety standards as well as CE (European safety standards) you cannot have voltage that high available on a connector that also carries low control voltage....if there are systems that do that...then they should not have a CSA/CE certification. Today...the only torch height control that I am aware of that still uses raw arc voltage in Torchmates AVHC....and they are working on a change to allow for divided voltage....which is safer, and makes no difference whatsoever to the THC's operation.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Jim , I have a powermax 45 . How can I get a diagram for locating correct trigger wires for remote CNC start?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help locating correct Powermax45 trigger wires for remote CNC start

Bumping this thread up, I just purchased a 45 xp machine with the hand torch. I know Jim can't give the definite answer so has anybody else done this with the 45XP? I am extremely new to anything CNC plasma. Just bought my first table. I have a connection that has 2 wires that needs to be tapped in to the plasma cutter for the control box to fire the torch. Can anybody say definitively what wires need to be spliced into to make the torch fire up?

Any help is appreciated. Than you in advance.