Grey electrodes, Hypertherm Powermax 105

Thread: Grey electrodes, Hypertherm Powermax 105

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grey electrodes, Hypertherm Powermax 105

I read recently that grey electrodes indicate a torch cooling problem, but I couldn't find anything about what that information actually means to me. My manual says the torch is cooled by ambient air and doesn't require special cooling procedures.

The shiny one on the left is a new copper plus electrode that has only been used for about 20 minutes to cut 14 gauge steel with a fine cut tip. The grey one on the left is a regular electrode that has probably been used to cut a handful of parts, mostly at 45A but possibly (not likely) up to 85A. I'm not the only one who uses the torch, but I know we very rarely use it above 65A. The table gets used maybe.. three or four times a week, for one or two parts, almost never thicker than 1/4" and then occasionally I use it most of day to cut 14 gauge. I can't imagine how we would ever exceed the duty cycle specifications listed in the book. All our used electrodes turn grey fairly quickly, and I always thought it was normal until now. Should I worry about it?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grey electrodes, Hypertherm Powermax 105-electrodes-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Grey electrodes, Hypertherm Powermax 105

The gray could be caused by:

- a small amount of moisture or oil in your air system.
    - Operating the system in the expanded metal...or continuous pilot mode when cutting (you should be in the normal cutting mode)
    - Normal operation at full output power cutting thick materials.

The temperature on the hafnium emitter (silver slug on end) reaches slightly over 3000 degrees F under normal conditions. When operating at full power on thick materials the electrode can become discolored......which is normal as long as you do not see a lot of this heat in the spiral groove area....which is the heat exchanger part of the electrode. Moisture/ oil will do this as well and will shorten the life. There is a section in your operators manual that offers advice on determining the wear on consumables.

In the expanded metal mode there is more electrode heat load generated, and it is normal to see the electrode look like this. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Fyresparxx View Post
    I read recently that grey electrodes indicate a torch cooling problem, but I couldn't find anything about what that information actually means to me. My manual says the torch is cooled by ambient air and doesn't require special cooling procedures.

The shiny one on the left is a new copper plus electrode that has only been used for about 20 minutes to cut 14 gauge steel with a fine cut tip. The grey one on the left is a regular electrode that has probably been used to cut a handful of parts, mostly at 45A but possibly (not likely) up to 85A. I'm not the only one who uses the torch, but I know we very rarely use it above 65A. The table gets used maybe.. three or four times a week, for one or two parts, almost never thicker than 1/4" and then occasionally I use it most of day to cut 14 gauge. I can't imagine how we would ever exceed the duty cycle specifications listed in the book. All our used electrodes turn grey fairly quickly, and I always thought it was normal until now. Should I worry about it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Grey electrodes, Hypertherm Powermax 105

I'm running in torch lock mode, so It shouldn't have anything to do with the continuous pilot mode. I guess I'll check the airlines, since we don't do thick materials very often. Thank you!