Need Help! Bad Dross Fine Cut Powermax 105

Thread: Bad Dross Fine Cut Powermax 105

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bad Dross Fine Cut Powermax 105

Using the recommended cut charts for a FineCut nozzle on 14 Gauge Mild Steel. Right out of the operator's manual for the Power Max, and pre-programed into my CNC software.

Feedrate 200,
    Pierce Height .09"
    Cut Height .09"
    Delay .4 sec
    Voltage 78V
    Amperage 45A
    PSI 85

I hear about nice clean dross free cuts, but every cut I make on 14 Gauge needs to have the dross sanded off. Is this normal?

11 Gauge and higher cuts beautifully, but most of my work is done in 14 Gauge. How do I go about troubleshooting this? Or is this just to be expected?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bad Dross Fine Cut Powermax 105

Your specs are different than the "book" specs. 1. Cutting too slow causes dross, you are set at 200 ipm, the book suggests 220 ipm. 2.You are cutting with too much torch height, this also increases the likelihood of dross. Set the cut height as suggested by the manual, adjust the arc voltage to maintain this height.

Inspect the nozzle and shield for damage or wear as outlined in the consumable inspection section of the manual, and be sure you are using the 220948 shield.

These things will help minimize or eliminate dross. If you still get dross.....be sure the above is all correct and increase speed 5 ipm per test cut until you see the dross minimized or non existent. Different steel chemistry will affect dross formation, correct height and faster speeds can compensate as suggested above. Let us know how this works, pictures of dross will help as well as a description of your machine and height control system. Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Book specs as listed in the Powermax operators manual are:

Cut speed 220 IPM
    Pierce height: .15"
    Cut height: .06" (If you have areas with Fine cut consumables where the arc does not fully penetrate....increase the cut height to .075" and adjust arc voltage to maintain this height)
    Amperage 45
    Arc voltage: 82 (adjust arc voltage from this setting if the cut height is not at the exact suggested physical cut height of .06") higher voltage equals higher height, lower voltage equals lower height.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi sorry to jump on post I'm not sure on how to start my own
    I have a powermax 45 and the power on off switch springs back like a breaker
    Any ideas on what this could be?
    Thanks in advance
    Lewis

Downloads
    Uploads

The best place for troubleshooting help with a Hypertherm system is Hypertherm technical service. The email and phone numbers are in the operators manual, there also are many pages of troubleshooting advice. Technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 . The techs are friendly, helpful and free! Jim Colt. hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Lewywri89 View Post
    Hi sorry to jump on post I'm not sure on how to start my own
    I have a powermax 45 and the power on off switch springs back like a breaker
    Any ideas on what this could be?
    Thanks in advance
    Lewis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Feel stupid telling you this but it was me not pushing switch all the way on 😂
    Thanks for the reply jimcolt
    Lewis
    Tried to cut my first piece today (diy cnc) and discovered the tip is about 5-6mm wide can I get finer cutting tips for the t45v torch on cnc?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Book specs as listed in the Powermax operators manual are:

Cut speed 220 IPM
    Pierce height: .15"
    Cut height: .06" (If you have areas with Fine cut consumables where the arc does not fully penetrate....increase the cut height to .075" and adjust arc voltage to maintain this height)
    Amperage 45
    Arc voltage: 82 (adjust arc voltage from this setting if the cut height is not at the exact suggested physical cut height of .06") higher voltage equals higher height, lower voltage equals lower height.
    I typoed. My cut height is set to .06" not .09"
    Using Shield 220948, 220930 Nozzle, and Electrode 220777
    This happens even with brand new consumables:

Some (not many) long cuts are clean, most have lots of dross on the bottom of the part only. Most of it is easy to remove, but some parts of it are basically welds. Smaller features are guaranteed to have a load of bottom dross. This is only true of 14 Gauge and thinner. My 11 Gauge cuts with the same consumables cut nearly dross free.

The book recommends replacing the electrode and nozzle together, but often times we are cutting many different thicknesses, so the nozzle needs to be changed according to the thickness after only a few minutes of use. Would that cause this issue?

That said, those settings don't look like the ones in my book. Am I using the wrong book? Powermax105 OM Revision 2 (807390)

Thank you for your help! I'm going to be able to do some test cuts today or tomorrow. (we are in the middle of software upgrade).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad Dross Fine Cut Powermax 105-finecut-cut-chart-png   Bad Dross Fine Cut Powermax 105-dross-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Continuation - Doing some test cuts today. My Kerf width appears to be quite different than the estimated width in my book? My edges look chewed out along curves. That's using a new tip and a new copper plus electrode.

Software defaults for Powermax 105 Fine Cut 14 Gauge Steel look like this:

In other news, my test cuts look decent on straightaways at any speed between 200 and 230, but I have dross at all the curves no matter what. If I cut a 1/2" hole with a FineCut nozzle, a 1/2" bolt falls right through it. If I cut the same hole with a 45A nozzle, the bolt needs to be threaded through.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bad Dross Fine Cut Powermax 105-d-cut-jpg   Bad Dross Fine Cut Powermax 105-powermax-settings-png   Bad Dross Fine Cut Powermax 105-d-cnc-jpg   Bad Dross Fine Cut Powermax 105-kerf-chart-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

It is pretty clear to me that you have motion issues when cornering. If you put a pen in the torch holder you will see the same thing. If the motion is rough as your pictures indicate then expect the kerf to be wide. Slower speeds, rough motion will not produce a smooth cut at the kerf width shown in the Hypertherm kerf width charts. New consumables will not provide a smooth cut if the motion is rough.

A properly designed cnc machines needs to be able to follow the cut path accurately, smoothly, and at the recommended cut speed. When that is achieved the kerf width will measure as shown in the manual, the cuts will be smooth and the dross will be minimal. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Fyresparxx View Post
    Continuation - Doing some test cuts today. My Kerf width appears to be quite different than the estimated width in my book? My edges look chewed out along curves. That's using a new tip and a new copper plus electrode.

Software defaults for Powermax 105 Fine Cut 14 Gauge Steel look like this:

In other news, my test cuts look decent on straightaways at any speed between 200 and 230, but I have dross at all the curves no matter what. If I cut a 1/2" hole with a FineCut nozzle, a 1/2" bolt falls right through it. If I cut the same hole with a 45A nozzle, the bolt needs to be threaded through.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much! I will talk to the manufacturer of the table.