Problem Powermax 1650 with T100m torch

Thread: Powermax 1650 with T100m torch

Default Powermax 1650 with T100m torch

Any ideas welcome .
    The torch is coupled to a Blue Marlin table.
    Genuine Hypertherm consumables.
    The consumables have to be taken off the torch and reloaded after every job, otherwise the arc will not initiate properly, only a brief white spark.
    No fault lights on plasma.
    No fault light on pcb inside plasma cutter.
    Torch will perform multiple pierces, can cut out nested shapes, but after last shape is cut, by the time a new one is loaded on the pc, less than a minute, back to brief white spark from torch.
    Turn off cutter.
    Remove and refit consumables
    Works again.
    Have taken torch apart and nothing obvious.
    Torch resistance checks done
    Electrode make perfect contact, then pulls away when air flows.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Powermax 1650 with T100m torch

Does this happen with both saved files and flexishapes?
    What is the status message on the bottom of the control console screen, does it say "waiting for arc on" or something else?

I am relatively new to the machine, bought second hand with the plasma cutter.

The screen says waiting for arc on.

I am currently cutting flexishapes.

The torch tries to fire, but only spits a brief white spark, then gas flow only.

No errors on plasma cutter.

If I remove the torch nozzle, electrode, shield, and reassemble with the same parts, it will fire when asked.

My only thought now is if the electrode is going back too far from the nozzle to fire, but only does so after being used and cooling.

Regards

Edward

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Edward,

What happens if you leave everything for a longer period before trying to start it again, as I was just wondering if the problem had something to do with the torch cooling down to a certain temperature and then something sticking in it. If you leave it to go completely cold will it work then?
    One thing I would suggest is to put a COMPLETELY new set of consumables in the torch (as you can get faulty new ones) and also ensure that you do have the CORRECT consumables fitted.
    As you are getting the message "waiting for arc on" it indicates that the Blue Marlin is working OK and that the problem is with the plasma pack.
    Incidentally, what material/thickness are you cutting?
    I have a Blue Marlin with an HPR 130XD (and previously a Powermax 105) so I don't have any experience with the Powermax 1650 but if you continue to have problems I can ask a friend of mine who knows a lot about the Blue Marlin when we go back to work next week.

Regards

Simon

Downloads
    Uploads

The issue with the weak pilot arc can be:

- air pressure starvation at the Powermax air inlet. Install a gauge right on the inlet and monitor when the problem occurs. Pressure here, when air is flowing at the torch must be above 90 psi and below 120 psi.
    -Swirl ring.....these wear out and change dimensionally, though appear in perfect shape. When they are worn out they do not allow sufficient electrode movement to start the main arc. Swirl rings last longer than nozzles and electrodes...typically need replacement after 25 to 40 electrode changes.
    -Retaining caps control air flow for the shield and electrode, over time the internal air passages get damaged or clogged. The result if poor cut edge angularity and torch misfiring. Often changing the retaining cap solves a misfire issue.
    - Cut air pressure too high. Set cut pressure by turning the amperage knob fully counter clockwise, this makes air flow at the torch. Check the gauge at the air inlet (hard plumbed as suggested in step 1) to ensure the inlet pressure is correct with air flowing, then adjust the onboard regulator until cut pressure satisfies the LED pressure indicators on the front panel. Cut pressure that is too low or too high will cause misfires.
    - Torch plunger. Inspect the silver center plunger in the torch body...it should be bright silver with no signs of arc marks. Check to see that it depresses freely and fully returns every time. A pitted, worn or sticking torch plunger will cause torch misfiring.

If none of the above work, contact Hypertherm tech service. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Downloads
    Uploads

I have spoken to Mike at Techserv who make the Blue Marlin and he also suggests changing the swirl ring to see if this helps.
    You could always give them a ring as they are always very helpful, tel. 01924 460 456
    Incidentally, where abouts are you located?

Simon

Downloads
    Uploads

I am located in USA at Hypertherm, manufacturer of the Powermax systems. Jim Colt