Edge Pro and DXF import problems

Thread: Edge Pro and DXF import problems

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Edge Pro and DXF import problems

I have an Hypertherm EdgePro system, touch screen job running Phoenix v9 software.

Problem is when I try to cut text from a DXF file it does not handle them at all well. Some parts will be mirror reversed and placed in a different part of the plate and so on.

For starters I know the controller doesn't recognise splines, so my text outlines have been exploded into polylines with unsatisfactory results. I have tried then, using the JOIN command in autocad to rejoin the poly lines but that fails also.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue, cutting text from an imported DXF?

Will the Hypertherm Phoenix software updates handle splines at all? I found out yesterday that there is an update available for my machine but it requires a new hard drive from Hypertherm (which they say in the upgrade notes is free, but my local agent in Australia wants $266 for it....go figure!)

I have spent a day and a half now walking back and forth to the machine trying every different variable I can think of from the CAD side of things, saving the files in every different release of autocad, I've tried splines to polylines, polylines at different resolutions, exploded, not exploded and every combination of the above until I am completely sick of it!

Ummm Help!
    Thanks,
    Richard.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Edge Pro and DXF import problems

I have had that problem if I rotate text in AutoCad before saving the dxf. I have also had the same problem with mirrored parts that were polylines or otherwise joined, they have to be exploded before rotating. It seems to be the way AutoCad creates the dxf. Try exploding to line segments and see what happens. I have had the same problem with AutoCad 2000 and 2016, but normally save the file as a 2000 dxf for compatibility between my desktop and the machine computers that have AutoCad 2000 on them. I'm using CamBam as my CAM program. If I do all the rotation and joining in CamBam there is no problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is what I have drawn in autocad. It is fully exploded and is only line and arc segments.

Edge Pro and DXF import problems-img691-jpg

When I import it into the Phoenix software of the hyperthem Edge Pro it translates it to this mess. Ideleted all the original text I wanted to cut and just drew the 3 letters with lines and arcs.

Edge Pro and DXF import problems-img690-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, yeah, that's a mess. The only thing I can say is that the Phoenix software doesn't like the output of the AutoCad dxf. The only thing I can suggest is to download CamBam and open the AutoCad dxf in there, then use the CamBam export function to save a new dxf and see if the Phoenix software likes that.

CamBam is free to download and they give you 40 free uses before it gets cranky, so plenty of time to see if it works for you. If it does work, the licence is US$149. If your machine will accept a G-code input, then CamBam does a fine job of creating it.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 05-18-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim,

I'll download CAMBAM now and give it a go.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have to say, CamBam, whilst it looks a little primitive in its user interface, has output a file after only 5 minutes of playing with it that communicates with my plasma in a much better way than autocad!

Downloads
    Uploads

CamBam is a bit primitive, but it has worked well for me for a few years. I have Fusion 360, and MasterCam on my computers, but for quick setups CamBam is my goto software. Have it on my machine computers for quick changes.

Happy to hear that it seems to be useful to you.