Powermax 1000 and 65 Torches Retrofit Info Pilot Arc Wire

Thread: Powermax 1000 and 65 Torches Retrofit Info Pilot Arc Wire

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Powermax 1000 and 65 Torches Retrofit Info Pilot Arc Wire

I stumbled upon some Duramax 65 parts and torch heads practically for free from a buddys auction purchase, but not complete torches. I think it would be rather simple to retrofit my current torch to fit the Duramax head and consumables but i do not have a Duramax torch to look at or test wires. If someone has a 1000 retrofit torch to use the duramax consumables and would be willing to take the torch cover off and test with a multimeter which terminal the Duramax pilot arc wire needs to go to, i would be greatly appreciative.

I need to know which wire in the 1000 torch needs to be ran to the pilot arc wire position on the duramax head as it seems the duramax uses a copper tube for current and airflow and then a small wire on the outside of the head for the pilot arc. The 1000 does not appear to have continuity on the copper tube carrying the air to any of the wires or air connector in the machine. It only has the handful (5-7 maybe) of smaller wires connected together and then connected to the center lug of the torch body. So i am not sure what the 1000s pilot arc wire equivalent is? I found a duramax service manual wiring diagram, but i haven't been able to find the 1000s service manual to see if it lists a pilot arc wire.

Also, i was curious how the copper tube is connected to the torch head on the duramax torch. Is it like a shark bite type connector that you just have the right size of thinwall copper tube (3/8" or maybe 10mm) and it is just pushed into the top of the head or does it have an oring seal and rely on that and the plastic in the torch handle to keep it secured? Or is it soldered into place? (i know the 1000 is soldered but it is different)

My idea is to fit the head into my existing torch by fabricating the tube and connector to supply the air and current to the center of the head using the original T60 torch. If i wanted to switch back to T60 Consumables (not sure why) i would only have to remove the duramax head and reinstall the original. Or i will make a Machine Torch Body for it if things will fit easier.

Other option is i can buy a $750 retrofit torch or a $3000 +/- machine....but if i had to do that, i would probably just continue how i am until i find a true need.

If Jim Colt happens to see this, maybe he will know.

Brian
    Powermax 1000 and 65 Torches Retrofit Info Pilot Arc Wire-20170313_184308-jpg