Newbie hypertherm powermax45 xp fine cut nozzel problem

Thread: hypertherm powermax45 xp fine cut nozzel problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default hypertherm powermax45 xp fine cut nozzel problem

So, I got the new powermax 45 xp machine torch setup for my diy 4x4 table. I started off with the standard nozzle working with
    mild steel .125 and ,060 . floating head only . set to cut chart and all is well. The problem comes when I got the fine cut parts and
    set the parameters in sheet cam from the cut chart. made the cut file and run it . more often then not m03 will light the torch and
    start to move and arc will go out and it will continue to run and not cut till the next m03 and the same repeats. while I have completed
    a run with these nozzles, it is rare. I do not have any issue with standard nozzles. I did read in a forum about revised cut speeds for
    the fine cut to 150 ipm . Jim Colt? and still the same issue. What cuts i do get are great. no slag at all, when it cuts. revert to std. nozzle
    reset cut file to cut chart settings it is back to a good cut with some slag . I sent a inquiry to hypertherm through their site and no response.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: hypertherm powermax45 xp fine cut nozzel problem

You can always contact technical service (the email and phone number are listed in the 2nd page of the operators manual) at technical.service@hypertherm.com 1 800 643 9878 . Or you can contact me directly at jim.colt@hypertherm.com .

Maybe you can clarify this statement: " torch and start to move and arc will go out and it will continue to run and not cut till the next m03 and the same repeats" Do you mean that the arc fires, pierces and starts to move then the arc extinguishes? Or do you mean it fires, pierces, starts to move then stays on but does not fully penetrate the material? Pictures would be great.

1. If the arc fires , moves a little then the arc extinguishes....there will be an error code on the Powermax45 XP if there is an issue on the plasma side. If no error code on the 45 XP....then you should monitor your plasma start relay on your machine to determine if it is dropping out. I would wire in another switch in parallel to the start relay and hold the start signal on....if the torch stays running then your plasma start is dropping out for some reason. In the majority of cases with this symptom....we find inlet air starvation, the inlet air drops below about 85 psi momentarily immediately after air flow starts at the torch. The plasma will shut down in order to prevent torch and consumable damage. Air starvation is caused by either restrictions (too many air filters...or they are clogged), plumbing diameter too small, or air pressure is simply too low at the inlet.

2. If the arc stays on when moving but does not fully penetrate....then run at book specs but increase the cut height from the book setting of .060" to about .075" (if you have arc voltage height control you will also need to increase voltage so the physical height maintains during the cut.) Some steel chemistries need a higher arc voltage /higher height with the Fine cut consumables in order for full penetration.

3. If you want to run using the "Low Speed Fine Cut" process settings....they are in the Powermax45 XP operators manual, just past the regular Finecut charts. (I don't think this is what will solve the issue!)

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by energytek View Post
    So, I got the new powermax 45 xp machine torch setup for my diy 4x4 table. I started off with the standard nozzle working with
    mild steel .125 and ,060 . floating head only . set to cut chart and all is well. The problem comes when I got the fine cut parts and
    set the parameters in sheet cam from the cut chart. made the cut file and run it . more often then not m03 will light the torch and
    start to move and arc will go out and it will continue to run and not cut till the next m03 and the same repeats. while I have completed
    a run with these nozzles, it is rare. I do not have any issue with standard nozzles. I did read in a forum about revised cut speeds for
    the fine cut to 150 ipm . Jim Colt? and still the same issue. What cuts i do get are great. no slag at all, when it cuts. revert to std. nozzle
    reset cut file to cut chart settings it is back to a good cut with some slag . I sent a inquiry to hypertherm through their site and no response.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: hypertherm powermax45 xp fine cut nozzel problem

The problem has been resolved. Water level in tray was too high and air pressure was dropping to low.