Powermax 65 Serial Interface Questions

Thread: Powermax 65 Serial Interface Questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Powermax 65 Serial Interface Questions

I picked up a used Powermax 65 a couple weeks ago with a hand torch (that I hope works...waiting on my air compressor to arrive before I can test it out!). I'm looking to add the serial interface so that I can control it with my CNC machine, but I have a few questions before I place my order:

1) Can one install both the serial (228539) and cpc kits (228697) simultaneously? I like the simplicity of the cpc port, which would allow me to get rolling on "simple" cnc work while I build up the serial communication library for my machine...but would eventually prefer the advanced options provided by the serial interface. I'm also wondering if it's actually required that both are installed at the same time? I.E. does the serial kit not actually control firing, but only change levels/reads values while the CPC port is always used to turn the torch on and off? I found the manual for the serial communication protocol here (http://www.cnc.info.pl/files/serial_...20rev1_124.pdf), but it didn't make that clear to me at first glance.

2) Are there any disadvantages in ordering the mini machine torch? I know that they are essentially the same thing, but with a shorter barrel. I'd be building a simple clamp mount for my machine and like the slightly lower pricetag for the mini torch...but it seems like most setups I find online use the full sized torch.

3) Will any of these addons affect my ability to simply swap out the torch back to the hand torch and use the machine for manual cutting as usual?

Thanks in advance for any guidance here...these parts will be a big purchase and I want to make sure I don't regret any decisions!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Powermax 65 Serial Interface Questions

Are you SURE you understand what the RS485 serial port does? The base line essential control signals are all via the CPC port. The serial port brings ADVANCED machine control; specifically, the ability to control the cut current (AMPS) dynamically from software and the Air Pressure. Things normally set via the knob on the Hypertherm manually. You can also get the error messages that are normally codes on the LCD. In order to use the serial port you have to have (obviously) the RS485 serial port on the Hypertherm, but you also need to have something for it to talk to (control software) on the THC or controller side and someway to integrate the control into the toolpath to make it effective. It talks a distinct dialect of RS385 so you don't just get an RS485 serial adapter for you control PC and start using it. All that being said:

1. Both of the kits you list are easy to install in the field. The CPC being the most important
    2. The mini torch is shorter lighter and easier to mount (as you point out) however the cuts will be the same and the consumables are the same..
    3. The 65 has a front panel torch cable plug. changing from one to the other is a 2 minute deal. The only difference is that a hand torch is wired to lockout remote firing via the CPC connector for safety issues.

TOMcaudle
    Home

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Are you SURE you understand what the RS485 serial port does? The base line essential control signals are all via the CPC port. The serial port brings ADVANCED machine control; specifically, the ability to control the cut current (AMPS) dynamically from software and the Air Pressure. Things normally set via the knob on the Hypertherm manually. You can also get the error messages that are normally codes on the LCD. In order to use the serial port you have to have (obviously) the RS485 serial port on the Hypertherm, but you also need to have something for it to talk to (control software) on the THC or controller side and someway to integrate the control into the toolpath to make it effective. It talks a distinct dialect of RS385 so you don't just get an RS485 serial adapter for you control PC and start using it.

TOMcaudle
    Home
    Hi Tom, thank you so very much for your response. I knew that the serial port added the "manual knob" functions, the only thing I wasn't sure about (as it isn't in the serial manual as far as I can tell) was whether or not the serial port ALSO could control torch firing. While it makes sense (for safety, etc) to have a dead simple mechanism (CPC port) for turning the torch on and off, and a more complicated mechanism for changing settings that most people don't need to change on the fly (Serial port), I figured I'd check to see if there was any chance the latter could ever/has ever been used for both.

To clarify my interest in the serial port: I'm using a 6 axis robot with a dedicated controller, it's own "Turing complete" programming language, and an RS-422 port. RS 485 is a superset of RS-422, so my expectation is that communication between the two shouldn't be out of reach. I'm not expecting to plug this into a PC and start using it! I've read through the Powermax serial manual, and expect that if I code up a few parity bit functions, etc that I can build a communication protocol/library that will allow me to control settings and read error messages on the fly. Looks like I'll be popping out to the shop today to order my machine torch and BOTH the CPC and serial kit. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
    Ryan

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like my good friend Tom covered everything about the Hypertherm. If you have further questions feel free to ask!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Are you SURE you understand what the RS485 serial port does? The base line essential control signals are all via the CPC port. The serial port brings ADVANCED machine control; specifically, the ability to control the cut current (AMPS) dynamically from software and the Air Pressure. Things normally set via the knob on the Hypertherm manually. You can also get the error messages that are normally codes on the LCD. In order to use the serial port you have to have (obviously) the RS485 serial port on the Hypertherm, but you also need to have something for it to talk to (control software) on the THC or controller side and someway to integrate the control into the toolpath to make it effective. It talks a distinct dialect of RS385 so you don't just get an RS485 serial adapter for you control PC and start using it. All that being said:

1. Both of the kits you list are easy to install in the field. The CPC being the most important
    2. The mini torch is shorter lighter and easier to mount (as you point out) however the cuts will be the same and the consumables are the same..
    3. The 65 has a front panel torch cable plug. changing from one to the other is a 2 minute deal. The only difference is that a hand torch is wired to lockout remote firing via the CPC connector for safety issues.

TOMcaudle
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Sounds like my good friend Tom covered everything about the Hypertherm. If you have further questions feel free to ask!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Do you guys foresee the Accumove II system in the future being able to handle controlling the current and air pressure?

Downloads
    Uploads

Unlikely, but you should ask Torchmate about that! Jim Colt
    Quote Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
    Do you guys foresee the Accumove II system in tvhe future being able to handle controlling the current and air pressure?

Downloads
    Uploads

So what options are available if I want to remotely control the current and pressure on a Hypertherm 65?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think what they are not telling you is the machine used the RS485 com protocal and speaks Modbus ASCII. There is a manual available from Hypertherm on the Modbus Ascii protocal it uses.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Gotcha I'm new to plasma CNC and trying to gather as much info as I can before pulling the trigger on equipment. Everyone please excuse me when I ask stupid questions.

Downloads
    Uploads

No such thing as stupid questions!

The RS485 interface was first developed to make our Powermax65 , 85 and later, the 105 and 125 plug and play compatible with our (Hypertherm) CNC controls, such as our EdgePro. These cnc controls are used on a large number of high end industrial cnc machines to control all of the functionality of our High Definition class plasma cutters.So....we added the RS485 serial communications to these Powermax units while they were being designed. Currently, only amperage and air pressure as well as diagnostic codes are available on this communication line....though as time goes on we may be adding more capability.

Home uses the serial link with their cnc controls to enhance piercing and cutting capabilities with the Powermax units , as well as to simplify the machine operators tasks (current and cut air pressure can be automatically set.....and if the plasma sees a fault it will show up on CandCNC's operator screen. Candcnc had to write the code to interface with this function...and it has been a popular option for many users of their equipment.

Sorry I responded so late to this and other posts in this forum.....for some reason I was not getting notification when a Hypertherm post occurred on this forum.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Downloads
    Uploads

In testing this Jim, I have no problem setting the Cut Mode via Modbus either from Normal, CPA, or Gouge. Whatever I write is reflected on the front display.
    I'm not sure if you are aware of that or just provided a quick overview, but it does work.

Richard

>>Jim Colt wrote - Currently, only amperage and air pressure as well as diagnostic codes are available on this communication line.