Problem Hypertherm 125 Electrode Life Expectancy

Thread: Hypertherm 125 Electrode Life Expectancy

Default Hypertherm 125 Electrode Life Expectancy

Hello all, I'm kind of new to the cnc plasma world and hoping someone could help me out. I just installed a new 5x10 cnc plasma table with a Hypertherm Powermax 125. I've been cutting some 1" steel plate and have a few questions:

1. How long should the electrode and consumables last? I know this is a vague question, but say for instance I needed to cut (15) 12" x 18" squares out of 1" steel plate. Without piercing anywhere. I have set the gcode to start from the edge on all cuts. Should this machine be able to run this entire job without stopping or having any issues?

2 Secondly, I have pierced this 1" material with the Hypertherm 125 and it does it with no problem, however it destroys the shield and nozzle after 1-2 pierces. I have the pierce height set to what the manual calls for, any suggestions?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hypertherm 125 Electrode Life Expectancy

Assuming you have clean, dry, oil free air you should be able to cut 5 to 10 sets (meaning cutting up to 150 of the 12" x 15" rectangles out of 1"). If you are destroying the shield...then you are not following the piercing specs in the manual. The pierce height is critical, and the pierce delay time is critical, I suspect one or both are not set correctly. You will get around 300 pierces on one set of consumables with the correct pierce height and delay time.

-Physically measure the pierce height, it is possible that your machine is not setting it accurately.
    -Makes sure the full pierce delay times out before any Z (or x or y) axis movement occurs....the torch must stay in place until the arc has fully penetrated the plate.

Jim Colt Hypertherm jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Quote Originally Posted by cory1504 View Post
    Hello all, I'm kind of new to the cnc plasma world and hoping someone could help me out. I just installed a new 5x10 cnc plasma table with a Hypertherm Powermax 125. I've been cutting some 1" steel plate and have a few questions:

1. How long should the electrode and consumables last? I know this is a vague question, but say for instance I needed to cut (15) 12" x 18" squares out of 1" steel plate. Without piercing anywhere. I have set the gcode to start from the edge on all cuts. Should this machine be able to run this entire job without stopping or having any issues?

2 Secondly, I have pierced this 1" material with the Hypertherm 125 and it does it with no problem, however it destroys the shield and nozzle after 1-2 pierces. I have the pierce height set to what the manual calls for, any suggestions?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Hypertherm 125 Electrode Life Expectancy

Thank you for Jim Colt's kind help.The setting is very important. If the setting of your CNC cuttig machine is not correct.It will take much trouble to you. Hope Cory1504 have solved the problem. Nice day to all!

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Assuming you have clean, dry, oil free air you should be able to cut 5 to 10 sets (meaning cutting up to 150 of the 12" x 15" rectangles out of 1"). If you are destroying the shield...then you are not following the piercing specs in the manual. The pierce height is critical, and the pierce delay time is critical, I suspect one or both are not set correctly. You will get around 300 pierces on one set of consumables with the correct pierce height and delay time.

-Physically measure the pierce height, it is possible that your machine is not setting it accurately.
    -Makes sure the full pierce delay times out before any Z (or x or y) axis movement occurs....the torch must stay in place until the arc has fully penetrated the plate.

Jim Colt Hypertherm jim.colt@hypertherm.com

SteelTailor is the world leading of portable CNC cutting machine
    www.steeltailor.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hypertherm 125 Electrode Life Expectancy

Hello. I am currently considering buying also a 125. Did you solved your issue, or the numbers from the manufacturer are almost impossible to achieve?
    Thank you