Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vaheeez View Post
    Yep did that, it did not fire.

So I'm going to assume the problem is in the pin/socket connection since that the part I rebuilt.

- V
    You rebuilt the pins in the plasma cutter also?? The test above has nothing to do with the interface cable just the port on the back of the plasma cutter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I tried to jump the thing and it didn’t fire… however I also made a discovery on the CPC connector cable. I used a multimeter to check continuity from pins to the other end of the cable (inside the CNC box) and found that there is one cable that is not continuous. It’s the one marked red in the diagram below.

Could this be the problem??

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP-connector-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I tried to jump the thing and it didn’t fire… however I also made a discovery on the CPC connector cable. I used a multimeter to check continuity from pins to the other end of the cable (inside the CNC box) and found that there is one cable that is not continuous. It’s the one marked red in the diagram below.

Could this be the problem??
    Pin 6 is part of the voltage divider, would not affect torch firing but could affect THC depending on how it is hooked up. Let me clear this up, with the plasma cutter alone. Touching pin 3 to pin 4 on the back of the plasma cutter causes nothing to happen?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tjb1 View Post
    Let me clear this up, with the plasma cutter alone. Touching pin 3 to pin 4 on the back of the plasma cutter causes nothing to happen?
    Well I get an error on my machine, 0-51 [Start trigger signal on at power up]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Discovery!

So since you said pin 6 might affect THC, I lowered the torch height during my testcut, and the torch fired!!

Except it still does not move and I’m still getting the spindle failed to start message on the CNC computer interface.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Let me clear this up, with the plasma cutter alone. Touching pin 3 to pin 4 on the back of the plasma cutter causes nothing to happen?
    Just realized I was jumping the thing incorrectly, turning the machine on after inserting the jump cable. I did it the correct way and it worked.

So to summarize… The torch does fire during a jump, it also fires when CPC connector is plugged in and I manually lower the height. However it does not move when firing, and the error on the CNC interface says "spindle failed to start."

This is leading me to believe that my problem is THC. I think it is the CPC cable, specifically pin 6 which I found to be not continuous. Is this a reasonable assumption?

- V

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You will need help doing this, pins 12 + 14 are the motion start which is probably what is signaling your controller that the "Spindle Started". Get someone to take the plasma cutter and start cutting and take the multimeter on continuity check and put it on pins 12 and 14. When the plasma cutter establishes its cutting arc it will close a relay and pins 12 and 14 will connect. If pins 12 and 14 connect when you do this, the plasma cutter is fine.

Next, check pins 12 and 14 on your interface cable and make sure they have continuity between each end of the cable.

If you are using the internal voltage divider on the plasma cutter and NOT using raw arc voltage, you will need pins 5-6 to work so you need to straighten that out also.

So check out pins 6, 12, and 14 as I stated above.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Get someone to take the plasma cutter and start cutting.
    By that do you mean jump it, then put a multimeter into sockets 12 and 14? Otherwise how would you start it and put a mulimeter on the pins at the same time...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I forgot this is machine torch sorry, you will need to jump it since im guessing the control wont keep arc on because it is sensing its not starting. So start it, make sure its near metal so the arc can start and then check 12-14. 12-14 wont connect with the pilot, it has to start the arc for them to close.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok did it: jumped the plasma while holding the prongs of my multimeter in pins 12 and 14. When the arc was established, there was continuity between 12 and 14.

So this means that my plasma is fine, and the problem is either in the CPC cable or the CNC control box itself?

- V

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, either the cable or the controller is bad. 12 or 14 isnt reaching the controller and because 6 isnt reaching the controller you wont have a working THC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, either the cable or the controller is bad. 12 or 14 isnt reaching the controller and because 6 isnt reaching the controller you wont have a working THC.
    I fixed the problem with 6, it was a blown fuse inside of the controller. Also 12 and 14 are continuous from pin to controller. I tested my CPC cable and every pin is fully continuous into the controll box.

So in this case, is it safe to assume my problem is coming from the CNC controller itself?

- V

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I fixed the problem with 6, it was a blown fuse inside of the controller. Also 12 and 14 are continuous from pin to controller. I tested my CPC cable and every pin is fully continuous into the controll box.

So in this case, is it safe to assume my problem is coming from the CNC controller itself?

- V
    That or a software issue, you could also hook the cpc up and start the plasma and check the wires inside the controller to see if 12-14 get continuity there when the arc is going.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That or a software issue, you could also hook the cpc up and start the plasma and check the wires inside the controller to see if 12-14 get continuity there when the arc is going.
    Just did that, there is continuity inside the controll box when the arc is established.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just did that, there is continuity inside the controll box when the arc is established.
    Then you either have a problem deeper in the controller or a software problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I'll keep digging. thank you very mucy for your help though, this process is teaching me a lot about this machine.

- V

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12