Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP

Hello,

Recently we damaged our Powermax65 Machine interface cable connection. We twisted it without unlocking, and some of the pins at the cable end of the connection were bent, along with some of the sockets on the PM65 side.
    I re-ordered the necessary pins and sockets (#008176, #008186) and re-assembled the cable/pin end of the connection. I also replaced the broken sockets on the PM65 end.

We have our torch mounted on a CNC machine controlled by TechnoCNC software. The red light on the torch turns on, the air starts blowing, but the torch won’t start. Error message comes up that says “Spindle failed to start”
    I have been reading the PM65 user manual and from what I gather pins 3 and 4 on the machine interface cable are the ones responsible for starting the plasma arc. So I double checked both pins and sockets for 3-4 and everything looks good.

In short I am stumped and looking for help… if you have encountered anything like this please let me know

thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP-img_2144-jpg   Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP-1-jpg   Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP-2-jpg  
    Last edited by vaheeez; 08-10-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Call the Hypertherm tech support line and see if they have a pinout diagram for the CPC connector. Double check all the connections and make sure the wires are in the proper orientation, that all pins are crimped properly, no wires are touching each other, and there are no pins/sockets pushed back in the cpc housing. Once you have done all that if you still have a problem , you might also want to try a new set of consumables. If you still can not find the solution, call the tech line again and troubleshoot with them. Im sure they will have you up and ruunnung again in no time.
    Tech support # 800-643-9878

Brad

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you tried shorting pins 3 & 4 on the plasma to see what happens?

Downloads
    Uploads

If the air starts flowing at the torch....that means the start input to the plasma is working... So at least the start connections are working..which are pins 3 and 4. It sounds like you have another issue now...is there any error code on the plasma display? Jim Colt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much for the responses.

Jim, yes I have a 0-12 error. The Hypertherm tech support said that this is due to low air pressure. However I tried it with two different compressors both set at 100-120psi and still the same error keeps popping up. The user manual says that 0-12 is just a warning error that shouldn’t affect cutting but it seems to be affecting it.

Any ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

An 0-12 indicates low pressure as you said....but likely indicates some sort of a flow restriction in your air system. You don't say where your are measuring your air pressure (from your compressors)....but if it is at the compressor itself...then that pressure under flowing conditions (airflow at the torch) will change (drop) through your plumbing and hoses. So....if under static, non flowing conditions you see this error...it is possible that the pressure inside the plasma is dropping below the necessary pressure for the torch to fire. The error code will likely not be seen for the lower limit inlet pressure under these conditions.

I always put a pressure gauge right at the inlet to the plasma (after any fittings, filters, hoses, etc)., then make the torch flow air and read the gauge right at the inlet....if it drops under 90 then you have too much pressure drop in your plumbing...and the system will act like yours is. You can put the torch into manual flow by pressing the two buttons on the front panel simutaneously...this will bring up the service screen. The use one of the buttons to toggle the asterick over to the "G"....this will make the air flow. Or you can just momentarily trigger the torch..then release it...and it will flow for about 10 seconds.

Could be:

-Air hose to small of ID. Must be 3/8" ID up to 50' length, 1/2" for longer length.

- A restrictive or plugged fitting....or to many fittings, especially 90 degree bends.

- A saturated or clogged filter...or too many filters.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by vaheeez View Post
    Thank you very much for the responses.

Jim, yes I have a 0-12 error. The Hypertherm tech support said that this is due to low air pressure. However I tried it with two different compressors both set at 100-120psi and still the same error keeps popping up. The user manual says that 0-12 is just a warning error that shouldn’t affect cutting but it seems to be affecting it.

Any ideas?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I replaced my hose and turned up the PSI on my compressor... 0-12 warning is gone!

However, my problem persists

Torch light on, air flowing... no plasma arc.

There are no errors on my hypertherm65 display, and all my CNC interface says is "spindle failed to start"

My best guess is still that I rebuilt the computer interface cable connection incorrectly or didn’t crimp it well? But I double and triple checked my crimps...

I think I might just rebuild the hypertherm socket end of the connection just because I'm out of ideas on what to do...

Downloads
    Uploads

-Was it working fine BEFORE you twisted the CPC connector off? If so then that is most likely where your problem is. If you twisted it off because you were troubleshooting a no start problem, then your problem may be elsewhere.
    -This IS a machine torch we are talking about right?
    -Your table has been up and running already right?

Brad

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It was working fine before I twisted the CPC connector off. (I'm assuming CPC connector refers to the machine interface cable?) We were taking it off to waterproof the wires.

Yes this is a machine torch and the system was working fine before twisting it off.

I agree I think the problem lies with the interface cable. I am just out of ideas on what else to do. Maybe rebuild the whole assembly...

Downloads
    Uploads

-Did you get a pinout chart or wiring diagram of both sides of the CPC (circular plastic connector) so you could double check that all the pins and sockets are in the correct orientation? Thats where I would start if you are sure there are no bad crimps or wires touching each other at the CPC.
    Have you changed the consumables? specifically the electrode?

Brad

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I got a pinout chart of both ends of the CPC, double checked all locations and crimps. Crimps are all nice and tight and locations are correct. I also replaced both consumables (electrode and tip).
    I’m still having the same problem. I’ve attached pictures of the cut test. They’re a bit hard to make out but as you can see the white light is on, the air is blowing… no arc.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP-testcut-1-jpg   Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP-testcut2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Unplug the interface cable from the CPC connector.....jumper pin 3 to pin 4 in the CPC (on the rear of the 65). If the torch fires while the jumper is in place...then the problem is from the electronics at the other end of your cable...on your machine. If the torch acts the same (just air flow) then the problem is in the plasma or the torch.

If it is in the electronics...it would be the start relay is doing a momentary start, then dropping out.

If in the plasma...I would suggest contacting Hypertherm tech service...they will lead you through troubleshooting.

Jim Colt

Yes I got a pinout chart of both ends of the CPC, double checked all locations and crimps. Crimps are all nice and tight and locations are correct. I also replaced both consumables (electrode and tip).
    I’m still having the same problem. I’ve attached pictures of the cut test. They’re a bit hard to make out but as you can see the white light is on, the air is blowing… no arc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, Brad, thank so very much for your responses

Jim, I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but my knowledge of these things is limited. What do you mean by "jumper" pins 3 and 4?

- V

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim, I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but my knowledge of these things is limited. What do you mean by "jumper" pins 3 and 4?

- V
    Put a wire between pins 3 and 4 on the back of the plasma cutter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tjb1 View Post
    Put a wire between pins 3 and 4 on the back of the plasma cutter.
    Is there a specific type of wire I should use?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a specific type of wire I should use?
    Nope, anything on hand will do.

Downloads
    Uploads

You need to power up the plasma system, consumables in the torch, air pressure...everything ready to cut. Unplug the CPC cable on the rear panel.....locate sockets 3 and 4 on the cpc connector (they are marked...you may need a magnifying glass)....then take any small piece of wire with the ends stripped, stick one end in socket 3, the other in socket 4....the torch should fire. If it does not fire..the problem is in the plasma side of the system. If it does fire,,,the problem is in your cnc machine control box.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

- V

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    ...then take any small piece of wire with the ends stripped, stick one end in socket 3, the other in socket 4....the torch should fire. If it does not fire..the problem is in the plasma side of the system. If it does fire,,,the problem is in your cnc machine control box.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Should the torch fire as soon as the two sockets are connected and the power is turned back on?

I'm assuming so because if my CPC cable is disconnected, I can not tell it to fire through my machine interface correct?

- V

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should the torch fire as soon as the two sockets are connected and the power is turned back on?

I'm assuming so because if my CPC cable is disconnected, I can not tell it to fire through my machine interface correct?

- V
    What Jim is asking you to do is to completely remove your interface cable from the plasma cutter. Then on the back of the machine, take a piece of wire and touch it to contact 3 and contact 4. When these two contacts are connected the torch should fire its pilot arc. If you have a hand torch connected make sure someone is holding it or if its a machine torch make sure nothing is blocking the end.

You want to be "connecting" 3 and 4 from this picture using the piece of the wire.

Note: This does not involve your computer or interface cable at all, they should be disconnected from the plasma cutter. All this test does is figure out if the plasma cutter is the problem or if the interface cable/computer is the problem. If the torch fires when you connect these two pins using a short piece of wire, than you know the plasma cutter is alright and the problems is with the computer, software, parallel cable or interface cable. If it doesnt fire than you know something is wrong with the plasma cutter itself.

Note 2: You could also do a continuity test on pins 3 and 4 of the interface cable, they should connect/show resistance as opposed to infinite/beep when the computer tells it to fire.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep did that, it did not fire.

So I'm going to assume the problem is in the pin/socket connection since that the part I rebuilt.

- V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast