Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 36

Thread: Powermax 65 Machine Interface Cable PLEASE HELP

  1. #13
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Jim, Brad, thank so very much for your responses

    Jim, I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but my knowledge of these things is limited. What do you mean by "jumper" pins 3 and 4?

    - V



  2. #14
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    293
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vaheeez View Post
    Jim, Brad, thank so very much for your responses

    Jim, I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but my knowledge of these things is limited. What do you mean by "jumper" pins 3 and 4?

    - V
    Put a wire between pins 3 and 4 on the back of the plasma cutter.



  3. #15
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjb1 View Post
    Put a wire between pins 3 and 4 on the back of the plasma cutter.
    Is there a specific type of wire I should use?



  4. #16
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    293
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vaheeez View Post
    Is there a specific type of wire I should use?
    Nope, anything on hand will do.



  5. #17
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2056
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    You need to power up the plasma system, consumables in the torch, air pressure...everything ready to cut. Unplug the CPC cable on the rear panel.....locate sockets 3 and 4 on the cpc connector (they are marked...you may need a magnifying glass)....then take any small piece of wire with the ends stripped, stick one end in socket 3, the other in socket 4....the torch should fire. If it does not fire..the problem is in the plasma side of the system. If it does fire,,,the problem is in your cnc machine control box.

    Jim Colt Hypertherm


    Quote Originally Posted by vaheeez View Post
    Jim, Brad, thank so very much for your responses

    Jim, I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but my knowledge of these things is limited. What do you mean by "jumper" pins 3 and 4?

    - V




  6. #18
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    ...then take any small piece of wire with the ends stripped, stick one end in socket 3, the other in socket 4....the torch should fire. If it does not fire..the problem is in the plasma side of the system. If it does fire,,,the problem is in your cnc machine control box.

    Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Should the torch fire as soon as the two sockets are connected and the power is turned back on?

    I'm assuming so because if my CPC cable is disconnected, I can not tell it to fire through my machine interface correct?

    - V



  7. #19
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    293
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vaheeez View Post
    Should the torch fire as soon as the two sockets are connected and the power is turned back on?

    I'm assuming so because if my CPC cable is disconnected, I can not tell it to fire through my machine interface correct?

    - V
    What Jim is asking you to do is to completely remove your interface cable from the plasma cutter. Then on the back of the machine, take a piece of wire and touch it to contact 3 and contact 4. When these two contacts are connected the torch should fire its pilot arc. If you have a hand torch connected make sure someone is holding it or if its a machine torch make sure nothing is blocking the end.

    You want to be "connecting" 3 and 4 from this picture using the piece of the wire.



    Note: This does not involve your computer or interface cable at all, they should be disconnected from the plasma cutter. All this test does is figure out if the plasma cutter is the problem or if the interface cable/computer is the problem. If the torch fires when you connect these two pins using a short piece of wire, than you know the plasma cutter is alright and the problems is with the computer, software, parallel cable or interface cable. If it doesnt fire than you know something is wrong with the plasma cutter itself.

    Note 2: You could also do a continuity test on pins 3 and 4 of the interface cable, they should connect/show resistance as opposed to infinite/beep when the computer tells it to fire.



  8. #20
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Yep did that, it did not fire.

    So I'm going to assume the problem is in the pin/socket connection since that the part I rebuilt.

    - V



  9. #21
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    293
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vaheeez View Post
    Yep did that, it did not fire.

    So I'm going to assume the problem is in the pin/socket connection since that the part I rebuilt.

    - V
    You rebuilt the pins in the plasma cutter also?? The test above has nothing to do with the interface cable just the port on the back of the plasma cutter.



  10. #22
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    So I tried to jump the thing and it didnít fireÖ however I also made a discovery on the CPC connector cable. I used a multimeter to check continuity from pins to the other end of the cable (inside the CNC box) and found that there is one cable that is not continuous. Itís the one marked red in the diagram below.

    Could this be the problem??

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -connector-jpg  


  11. #23
    Registered
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    293
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vaheeez View Post
    So I tried to jump the thing and it didnít fireÖ however I also made a discovery on the CPC connector cable. I used a multimeter to check continuity from pins to the other end of the cable (inside the CNC box) and found that there is one cable that is not continuous. Itís the one marked red in the diagram below.

    Could this be the problem??
    Pin 6 is part of the voltage divider, would not affect torch firing but could affect THC depending on how it is hooked up. Let me clear this up, with the plasma cutter alone. Touching pin 3 to pin 4 on the back of the plasma cutter causes nothing to happen?



  12. #24
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjb1 View Post
    Let me clear this up, with the plasma cutter alone. Touching pin 3 to pin 4 on the back of the plasma cutter causes nothing to happen?
    Well I get an error on my machine, 0-51 [Start trigger signal on at power up]



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum from DIY CNC Machines to the Cad/Cam software to run them. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on

Facebook Dribbble RSS Feed