Powermax45 Hand Torch - Cheat for Mech torch - Advanced users

Thread: Powermax45 Hand Torch - Cheat for Mech torch - Advanced users

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Powermax45 Hand Torch - Cheat for Mech torch - Advanced users

Hello,

There is some rumors that you can "cheat" the PMX45 by making a connection inside the hand torch, and it will act as a mech torch.

By making this, you can use a hand torch with a THC and the CPC connector without having to open the machine, and mess with high voltage or loosing the warranty.

a- open the hand torch at the fast-conect side
    b- insert a pin (easy to get from older connectors from scratch) that is similar that the one used
    c- using a wire clip (scotchloc splice) conect the wire from pin 3 (violet wire) to pin 4 (inserted pin)

The machine will think that is a mech torch connected instead of a hand torch.

Question: does someone tryed this, or this can damage the machine? I have a PMX45 but did not tryed (not yet...)

Thank you!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

The connection measure that you suggest would allow a hand torch to be fired from a remote switch...as well as from the torch trigger switch. This could be dangerous if someone decided to use the torch for hand cutting....and the remote switch was acivated as well.

There are probably a few thousand users that use the Hypertherm hand torches on mechanized cutting applications. As long as the installation is done safely....to ensure that the torch cannot accidentally fire from a remote location (which can cause serious injury or fire)...then it should operate fine.

Hypertherm has a good, safe wiring solution...and that is to use the hand torch for hand cutting, and the machine torch for machine cutting (interfaced through the rear panel CPC connector). This is a proven safe and easy method to interface hypertherm systems for mechanized cutting. We cannot make suggestions that require modification of the safety circuitry that is designed to not allow the hand torch to be fired from a remote switch.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by kanowee View Post
    Hello,

There is some rumors that you can "cheat" the PMX45 by making a connection inside the hand torch, and it will act as a mech torch.

By making this, you can use a hand torch with a THC and the CPC connector without having to open the machine, and mess with high voltage or loosing the warranty.

b- insert a pin (easy to get from older connectors from scratch) that is similar that the one used
    c- using a wire clip (scotchloc splice) conect the wire from pin 3 (violet wire) to pin 4 (inserted pin)

Question: does someone tryed this, or this can damage the machine? I have a PMX45 but did not tryed (not yet...)

Thank you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

I make the words from Jim my words.

This connection should only be done if the remote switch have safety procedures, like charge pumps before the CNC take control ( dual in our case) and safety warnings.

This should not be done in a higher level power system, like more than 65 amps. Doing this you may have your hand torch melted due to the high temperature that raises from the automated cutted material.

This is only done in low cost systems, were the CNC machine owner sometimes use it in an atomated form and hand form as well, and dont want to spend in a machine torch.

Only for advanced users, you can hurt yourself if you do not know what you are doing.

Thank you,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would really like to try this too, but I would like more detail as to how to do it. I watched vid on youtube that said just to connect two of the pins at the plug of the torch to the machine, but Im not sure what is the better way to bypass. I really don't want to ruin a brand new machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default The fix

I have found this very interesting as I have made my own table and trying to set up a CNC machine on a hand torch , I was quite gob smacked when they told me a machine torch was nearly £600.00 !! so went down the hand torch route with a bracket to permanently mount it , I previously converted a flame cutting machine to plasma but cut into the torch and retro fitted a switch to the machine control panel this did the job .....
    The hypertherm PM 45 was another thing !! their is a safety wire built in to distinguish between machine torch and hand torch as I am going to permantly fix it to the machine I thought I would share the fix with people on here who will do the same DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU USE IT FOR HAND CUTTING !!

As I will now find a cheap hand torch I can use the machine as a hand cut once the plug to the rear is removed :-0

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Powermax45 Hand Torch - Cheat for Mech torch - Advanced users

Quote Originally Posted by kanowee View Post
    Hello,

Thank you!
    can you elaborate a bit on your connection, are you just basically hooking the violet wire to the blue wire

Downloads
    Uploads

By modifying the torch in this way you are bypassing a safety feature that is designed to protect the operator from electric shock, serious burns as well as fires that could start from a remotely fired hand torch. I strongly recommend against bypassing safety features. Jim Colt. Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1699 View Post
    can you elaborate a bit on your connection, are you just basically hooking the violet wire to the blue wire