HPR 130 question

Thread: HPR 130 question

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default HPR 130 question

There is a AKS ACCU-KUT machine with a Hypertherm HPR 130 coming up for sale soon and I am looking for input on this compared to a Mach 3 controlled machine with a Powermax 85.
    I know it's a step or two up but is it a feasible machine for a small shop with a lot of one off parts?
    How steep is the learning curve going to be?
    I hate to get away from the Sheet-cam, Mach 3 combo but if the price is right.......
    Thanks for any input.
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

The AKS machine is a top of the line, high precision industrial plasma cnc machine. The HPR130 is also top of the line high definition class plasma. This machine likely sold for around $150k when new. It is designed for years of high production, high duty cycle cutting in an industrial environment.

If I knew more details about the AKS machine I could more easily answer your questions on learning curve. AKS, depending on the vintage and model of the machine...used their own cnc controllers...then switched to Hypertherms PC based controllers a few years ago. If it has the latest Hypertherm touch screen based CNC, and the HPR130 has the auto-gas flow control.....then the learning curve will be far easier than any Mach 3 based machine....as all of the plasma system cut parameters will be fully automated....you chose the parts to cut from the scren, choose the material type and thickness.....and all the height control, cut speed, gas flows, amperage....everything will be automated. If it is the newest technology....and has the Hypertherm TrueHole capability....then it will also automatically modify hole parameters to eliminate dings, divots and hole taper....that all other plasma systems produce.

This type of industrial system is designed with the thought that virtually all part design and drawing is done at an office computer....the operator workstation does not have the ability to run a CAD drawing program. The majority of your part programming is done at an office computer..then linked either wirelessly or with a thimb drive to the machine. There are some standard shapes that can be used and modified..that reside in the controller however.

The plasma also is a completely different animal as compared to our Powermax systems. It is a 100% duty cycle, 130 amp plasma rated at piercing and cutting to 1". It uses oxygen as the plasma gas and clean dry air as the shield gas for cutting steel...with extremely nice quality....and very little metalurgical hardening of the cut edge as you will have with an air plasma.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim for the informative reply with little info!
    I don't know much about it other than it is coming up for auction soon.....
    I'm sounds like it's way out of my price range even if it could be stolen!
    I appreciate you freely sharing your knowledge about all things plasma and CNC!
    You area a benefit to us all!

Thanks, Steve