Cutting holes in pipe

Thread: Cutting holes in pipe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Cutting holes in pipe

I am looking at a job of cutting a lot of holes into a 3 inch pipe with a wall thickness of 3/16 thick. The holes will be about 13/16 in diameter and in a straight line down the side of the pipe. I can draw the holes on a line and run thru sheetcam and create the G code. I am just curious if anyone has ever done this. The holes do not have to be perfect but close as they need to be cleaned out for welding on fittings. I have to opportunity to get a lot of this work if it does work.

I have a hypertherm 85 with CandCNC Bladerunner with THC. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Gary, what kind of speed do you have on your z? If you have a fast z then you can cut with the 85amp parts ans climb and fall good, if it is slow then you can use the 45amp parts to keep the z from running out of speed. You may even be able to use fine cut on the 3/16". The trick imho is to have some z speed in reserve so you can climb and fall faster than x&y ipm. If you have enough of them (work/parts) but a slow z, it may pay to change the ratio on your z to be able to use the 85 amp parts for "more parts per hr".

The bladerunner is a stepper I think, it may not have enough speed on a 10tpi thread. You may be able to gear it up using step pulleys.

WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default thanks for reply

WSS,

I tried a test cut with 45 amp consumables and the holes worked out great. The last hole didn't cut as the THC did not move fas enough for ter larger curve of the bigger hole. I am satisfied with the holes that did work out clean and no dross. I an still new at this so good learning curve. More work testing ahead. I will try to post some pictures if i can.

Thanks

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cutting holes in pipe-pipe-water-cut-holes-jpg   Cutting holes in pipe-pipe-vise-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, your there! Looks good. Please post some pics when you can.

WSS

www.metaltechus.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Works so good....

Yes, it worked so well the customer was impressed. He offered me the job for 20 parts now and another 130 next month.

Now more cutting and then on to bigger and better stuff.

Thanks for all the help.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks like it worked great. I have often wondered about doing this but never tired it.