Hypermill and Mach 3??

Thread: Hypermill and Mach 3??

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Hypermill and Mach 3??

Hi All,

I was just wondering if any of you are using Hypermill, and posting to a MACH 3 controller? Do you think this is possible?

Are there any mach3 POST processors for Hypermill?

Also, I was trying to get to the hypermill site to get more info, but I keep getting some error, like their site is down or something...

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What is a MACH 3 controller on? What kind of machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Open Mind has created post processor configurations for most all of the production CNC controllers made. They could make a custom post just for Mach 3, but it may not be necessary if Mach has general g-code compatibility with one of the industry standard controllers like Fanuc.

Hypermill is high end CAM that is capable of driving even the most exotic machine tools made. It is not likely that anybody has ever purchased Hypermill with the primary intent of running a hobby class CNC machine. If you are seeking a world class solution to your CAM needs then contact OM. They would be happy to talk to you.

Hypermill is CAM software. Open Mind offers CAD solutions too, but I prefer to use an industry leading mid range CAD solution like Inventor. With Inventor, Hypermill is seamlessly integrated into one smooth CAD/CAM experience. Are you using any particular CAD now?

Cheers
    SF

Downloads
    Uploads

MACH 3 IS the controller....

I fail to see why the type of machine would matter?

-> PC running Windows with Mach 3 -> Connected via Parallel port to Gecko Drives -> Driving a 3/4 axis mill.

So the G-code generator in Hypermill, would have to produce code that Mach 3 would understand. That was my question.

Downloads
    Uploads

As SF says, OPEN MIND can produce postprocessor for nearly any control. If it does not exist off the shelf, it can be produced with some simple specs supplied regarding header, footer, and canned cycles. All posts are offered at "standard" price, not "development" price, even if it is the first of a family.

Though HM provides world-class solutions, its 2D/3D is extremely competitive both technically and price wise with other commodity brands ... and you get a more bang for your buck.

Regard OM web site, yes it appears down and with Easter weekend in Bavaria (home office), it may not be up until Tuesday AM european time.

Downloads
    Uploads

The controller information is generally enough for a router or 3x mill.

But with 4x/5x applications, the successful postprocessor is a combination of the machine kinematics and the controller language.

For example ... Is the 4x machine with horizontal spindle and vertical table? or vertical spindle and horiztonal table?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgCNC View Post
    MACH 3 IS the controller....

I fail to see why the type of machine would matter?

-> PC running Windows with Mach 3 -> Connected via Parallel port to Gecko Drives -> Driving a 3/4 axis mill.

So the G-code generator in Hypermill, would have to produce code that Mach 3 would understand. That was my question.
    Just Curious!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi CyborgCNC,

I am considering the purchase of Hypermill and have a PCNC1100 (Tormach)/mach 3 with a 4th axis. Have started initial discussions with Alan Levine (HYPERMILL) and seems that the creation of a post for our machine would be fairly straight forward. We need to secure a CAM solution in the next few weeks and HYPERMILL is one of the front runners. [We have looked at and tested many CAM software sofar].

Will let you know how we make out/get on.

Cheers,

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
    Hi CyborgCNC,

I am considering the purchase of Hypermill and have a PCNC1100 (Tormach)/mach 3 with a 4th axis. Have started initial discussions with Alan Levine (HYPERMILL) and seems that the creation of a post for our machine would be fairly straight forward. We need to secure a CAM solution in the next few weeks and HYPERMILL is one of the front runners. [We have looked at and tested many CAM software sofar].

Will let you know how we make out/get on.

Cheers,

What is your CAD?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Am using SolidWorks Premium (with cosmos etc.) 2008 on XP, 32 bit.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 4 axis mill too. I have Hypermill expert which is the best they offer in 3D. I also have the frames option which makes it easy to cut objects from various sides. There is nothing in expert to drive a 4th axis in simultaneous movements with the other three axis. So I just use it a an indexer more than anything.

What kind of parts do you make?

Cheers
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What kind of parts do we make?

Not so easy to describe. I basically head up and own an R@D company that mainly develops new 3D machine vision technologies (products to be released early 2009). The software will mainly be used by the film/television and video games development market but we are also interested in MCAD reverse engineering apps. The products we need to prototype range considerably in design from very advanced stereo photogrammetric medium format digital cameras, (camera of our own design), [the design would not look out of place on the set of 2001 (space odessey); we also have 3d stereo dynamic camera recording systems that are aimed more at industrial recording and video games market, and the cameras have more organic shapes that would not look out of place on the set of Battle Star Galactica (the new one).

A lot of the forms or blanks will be cut on lathe as long aspect parabolic tapers, and the
    other features will be introduced/cut on the fourth axis. It is possible to come close to our initial designs using a 2 1/2D indexed approach. However, we are interested in simultaneous 3 axes where one of the axes is a horizontally mounted rotary axis, i.e the Y axis on the mill does not move and stays on centre.

We have the capability to redesign certain aspects of the product to aid easier or more efficient machining without significantly compromising the look of the product.

After initial prototyping and short pilate runs we either aim to hand production to large local shop that makes parts for eclipse aviation, or we may decide depending on demand to build more extensive machining facilities to produce the cameras ourselves. We have been looking at Siemens PLM and NX CAM Express, but feel that the way that Siemens is structured may be a very bad fit for our company and it seems very difficult to get the technical information we need from them regarding their product.

Cheers,

Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

It is my opinion that HM would fit your needs perfectly. It has a powerful yet easy to use job type (free path milling) that will follow 2D or 3D lines (in addition to riding around solids). You may want to draw complex 3D geometry with one linear axis of which will be representing your rotary axis. I have done this many times before in order to get data for my rotary axis.

I hang here all the time and would be glad to help you with any programming tricks you may need. HM can do just about anything you can dream up.

Good luck with your new venture.

Cheers
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Single phase,

That's an extremely kind offer, one that I'm sure we will take you up on. OpenMind seems like a very cool company, and from what hear so far the Hypermill probably will be a super fit for what we trying to accomplish. We have trialled quite a few CAM packages, and fingers crossed we hope (after a short trial) that HM will cover most of the bases that we looking for in terms of basic quality, logical design, relative ease of use and stability as well as having a reasonably substantial and current development team. (looks hopeful)...

Cheers (again),

Eric

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads