Anyone own one of the Hurricane brand lasers - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone own one of the Hurricane brand lasers

Hurricane21

Default Your Welcome

Dionne,

Thank you for the feedback and we strive to give the best customer service and best value. Thanks to all of our customers assist us with positive feedback.

I look forward to working with you and let me know if you would like to see a unit that might be close to you as well. Several in Texas already.

Have a great weekend.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey all! I'm trying to win a $5000 store credit from Hurricane towards my first laser cutter. I know that, not having my own laser yet, I've only got a bit of involvement in this forum so far, but I figure that asking can't hurt. Among others, I'm up against a guy whose boss has over 30,000 followers to reach out to on FB and someone else who's numbers are climbing by the hundreds daily, and I can't figure out how.
    So, I'm reaching out every direction I can think of.

If you get a moment, please check it out (and hopefully vote for me, Dionne Rizo). The site's WIN $5000 IN UNCLE SAM GIVEAWAY. Voting closes in about 3 weeks.

Of course, if you've got suggestions on where else I might look for votes, that would be helpful too. So far, I've harassed all of my friends and family in person and online. I've also posted to a few other sites that I follow. I'll be posting a bunch of flyers in the universities and main roads (with lots of foot traffic) Friday. And, many of my friends and family have shared the link on their Facebook profiles. I'm open to suggestion.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

I'm also one of the finalists in the Hurricane Laser contest, and since DionneD is reaching out for votes, I guess its fair game to ask for votes for myself... I would LOVE to pay off my Hurricane Laser! Maybe after I pay off my laser, I can start on my mountain of student loan debt... VOTE FOR CHRISTY OATES here: WIN $5000 IN UNCLE SAM GIVEAWAY

I've also just posted a project on instructables.com on cutting laser marquetry from a photograph and there's project files for download.
    The link is here: Laser Marquetry from a photograph: Kaleidoscope Algorithm

Also check out my website, www.christyoates.com and check out 30 new pieces of laser marquetry work I've just completed. The work is now showing at Lois Lambert Gallery in Santa Monica. Here's a video artist statement:
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQUSKoW8k-8"]Kaleidoscope Algorithm by Christy Oates: Artist Statement

Feel free to ask me questions about the work and process! Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Good luck Christy!

Haha. Definitely fair game, Christy.
    Another contestant's methods made me lose interest. So, I've actually stopped even asking my friends and family for votes. I just couldn't figure out a way to remove my post here.
    I'd seen the chair picture somewhere else (the one that Hurricane posted for you). So, I didn't realize that you had actually done any of those things until seeing your post here. Lovely work!
    Best of luck to you!

Last edited by DionneD; 03-30-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another contestant's methods? I'd love to hear what you mean. I'm way behind in the contest and trying to reach out for votes as well, but it's going to be hard to catch up... sorry to hear you've given up.

Glad you like my work. I'm trying to start a business, etc. My baby right now is digitalwood.com besides showing in galleries and other projects. I'd like to be able to have time to make instructional videos on laser marquetry and other laser processes like the instructable.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just wish my would run correctly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool Christy ! I like the idea of making art with the cnc and laser.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by christyoates View Post
    ... My baby right now is digitalwood.com besides showing in galleries and other projects.
    Very nice Christy,

I Pinned a couple on pinterest maybe you'll get a couple sales from it

Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolman View Post
    I just wish my would run correctly.
    Wow. I saw when you posted about having problems with it, but wasn't that a few weeks to a month ago? I thought you said they got in touch with you pretty quick, didn't they? Still no fix? Ugh. That's not a good sign. I hope they get you fixed up soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another contestant's methods? I'd love to hear what you mean. I'm way behind in the contest and trying to reach out for votes as well, but it's going to be hard to catch up... sorry to hear you've given up.

Glad you like my work. I'm trying to start a business, etc. My baby right now is digitalwood.com besides showing in galleries and other projects. I'd like to be able to have time to make instructional videos on laser marquetry and other laser processes like the instructable.
    Bah. Someone who hadn't even so much as referenced the contest on FB or their webpage suddenly jumped about 1000 votes in a day (when everyone else was closer to 100 votes total). I can only go by what my friends told me since the site doesn't let you see the counts once you've voted, but I had no reason not to believe them. Several other people commented on it on the Hurricane FB page too. Within a day, that person posted links on their FB, webpage and some voting sites online and said something about passing the info around at school and stopped getting big vote jumps after that. Rubbish.

While $5K towards the laser that I want would no doubt help me out, that situation definitely made the fun of the contest lose it's lustre for me. I know this all makes me sound like a sour puss, but whatever. : P

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm way behind in the contest and trying to reach out for votes as well, but it's going to be hard to catch up.
    I saw the Hurricane ad on your website right away, but initially overlooked the grey box where you asked for votes. Were you not wanting it to bother your clients? If that's not the case, I'd definitely suggest adding some color to that box. I think I would have overlooked it if I weren't seeking it out.

Also, I'm not sure what area you're in, but I'm in downtown Austin in a very touristy and heavy foot traffic area. Before I lost interest I'd drawn up some funny and colorful flyers with QR codes and web info on them and was going to post them at all of the "walk/don't walk" boxes and any other posts. If you do that, definitely include the website info as well as the QR code as not everyone has a smart phone or understands QR codes just yet. Of myself and my friends that do, we definitely scan them sometimes just because we're bored standing at a stoplight, or just because we can.

We have 2 big universities (UT and St. Ed's) as well as an art school on the edge of town and of course the CC campuses. So, I was going to post some flyers on all of the message boards there.

Then, there's also the Apple Campus and Dell and Samsung. I have friends who are employees at all 3 who were willing to put flyers in their cafes and offices.

Like I said, I'm not certain on where you're at, or what you might have available to you, but maybe you have similar things in your area and some of these ideas might help?
    It's likely an uphill battle right now (I have no idea where the #'s stand at this point) but I genuinely thought even against the kind of outrageously high #'s those things would have made me a pretty tough contender so maybe they can do that for you.

Hurricane21

Default Thank you from Hurricane Lasers!

Thank you to Dionne, Christy and all of the other contestants in our contest to win $5,000 towards your laser. We are still investigating allegations and trying to be fair to all of the entries. I know several entries have posted banner ads on sites and some have even paid for advertising to try and get votes.

Obviously this was not our intention. It was to award the prize to the most creative and deserving contestant.

On a positive note we will be running another contest after this one concludes in April. The next one will offer a $10,000 store credit. We are discussing a better way to do this and your suggestions are appreciated.

For those of you that have not heard from us in a while we apologize. We had a tragedy in our family. Our 4 yr old Christopher passed away last Sunday March 25th from complications from the flu. We will be back in on Monday and will do our best to resume our quest to off the best service and value possible.

John & Traci

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John and Traci,

Again, I am so sorry to hear about Christopher. I can't imagine what you must be going through right now. You have definitely been in mine and my family's thoughts and prayers this past week. I wish you all of the peace, courage and comfort it will take to get through this.

Re-reading my posts, I realize that it might have been unclear, but I don't blame Hurricane for the cheating and whatnot that appears to be going on. I imagine that there's only so much that can be done to safe guard against those types of things and even then, cheaters usually find ways to cheat.

Hopefully, I'll be getting my laser cutter before your next contest. I'm just house-hunting right now. So, my space limitations and budget are a little up in the air at the moment.

Thank you again for taking the time out to follow up on the boards.

-Dionne

Downloads
    Uploads

John and Traci must be workaholics to be searching forums in the wake of such an unfortunate incident. It's not fair that they should have to deal with cheating contestants at a time like this. My best thoughts and prayers are with you John and Traci.

After your suggestion of not-so-honest behavior Dionne, I did a little research. I also met a self-proclaimed "hacker" at an art event this weekend, and explained the issue.

He said it's extremely easy to change your dynamic IP, but harder to change your static IP. He gave me the name of a free download program that is most used to make your IP appear different. There are also paid services. He said that if there was cheating, I should try the free download, and because the service uses IP addresses from a limited community of people that have signed up for the service and provide their IP for others to use, it may appear that someone has already voted from those IPs depending on how many times I refresh the page.

I downloaded and tried it. 9 out of 10 times, the page appeared to have already been voted from that IP address. 1 out of 10 times, I got the voting page.
    He also said depending on Hurricane's analytics, they may be able to trace static vs dynamic IP's. They also may be able to tell from their analytics if there's a lot of votes using the firefox browser as the free download works best with firefox. Also if it seems there are a lot of website hits from random locations and other countries, they are most likely using one of these services.

It's a shame people are doing this as the point of involving the community in votes is to drive traffic to the Hurricane site from different users. Instructables uses a system of voting where you have to sign in using a facebook account. This is a way to combat cheating, but also I've found that people (like my non-web savvy mother) won't sign in to vote because you get a message that instructables is trying to access your facebook info - Asking for personal info always discourages votes, but is also the only way to discourage cheating. Captchas are another way of trying to secure the voting process, but would not solve the problem of cheating, it just makes the process slower.

It's good to hear there will be another contest, I'm hoping the next one is based on merit of work or a "maker challenge", instead of popular vote. I've been slow in starting to get the word out for friends and networks to vote for me because I was involved with other projects. I'm sure I can get over 1000 votes, and had a whole PR campaign lined up, but now I'm wondering if I should even bother with finishing the campaign. No matter how many "real" votes I get, it can always be beat by "fake" ones.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
    Very nice Christy,

I Pinned a couple on pinterest maybe you'll get a couple sales from it

Scott
    Thanks Scott, much appreciated! I've heard a lot about pinterest, but have yet to get "into" it. Thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DionneD View Post
    Wow. I saw when you posted about having problems with it, but wasn't that a few weeks to a month ago? I thought you said they got in touch with you pretty quick, didn't they? Still no fix? Ugh. That's not a good sign. I hope they get you fixed up soon.
    Not yet. doing a few things on my own, that may correct it.

John and Traci must be workaholics to be searching forums in the wake of such an unfortunate incident. .
    This is why I have not contacted them again yet. I cannot imagine a loss like that, and it is not the time to be bothered. My prayers are with them, as this is what I would fear the most myself being a parent.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolman View Post
    This is why I have not contacted them again yet. I cannot imagine a loss like that, and it is not the time to be bothered. My prayers are with them, as this is what I would fear the most myself being a parent.
    I hear you. I was holding off on calling them last week also but finally called Friday and got voicemail and then felt guilty for even calling so I didn't even leave a message. A few minutes later I got a call back from Larry who was in the office. He's extremely knowledgable and a great troubleshooter!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12