g code to conversational

Thread: g code to conversational

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool g code to conversational

i have been running g code machines for about 6 years.for the last three i have been setting up and editing programs on fadel,komo,robodrill,matsura,mitsubishi vipers.i just took a job as the lead machinist for two hurco mills and a hurco lathe.my new boss had somone from brooks come in for two days and train me in conversational programing and set up procedures on these beauties.i definetly like the hurcos ALOT! better but im looking for any suggestions on how to make the change easier on my brain

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonsk8ts View Post
    i have been running g code machines for about 6 years.for the last three i have been setting up and editing programs on fadel,komo,robodrill,matsura,mitsubishi vipers.i just took a job as the lead machinist for two hurco mills and a hurco lathe.my new boss had somone from brooks come in for two days and train me in conversational programing and set up procedures on these beauties.i definetly like the hurcos ALOT! better but im looking for any suggestions on how to make the change easier on my brain
    It cant be done lol.
    But i know how well the Hurcos run and yes they are ok but for the most part you still cant beat a good Cam Programmer. Dont get the wrong idea i think Hurcos have there place. I just think it takes 3 times longer to program them over a cam system like mastercam.

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by inkydo69 View Post
    but for the most part you still cant beat a good Cam Programmer. Dont get the wrong idea i think Hurcos have there place. I just think it takes 3 times longer to program them over a cam system like mastercam.
    I beg to differ.
    It is relative to the type of work and qty you are doing.
    Most of my machining is one-off tooling (automation type stuff) and my FAGOR picto/conversational machines will get parts through twice as fast as CAM just because of logistics.
    For the FAGOR take a print to the control, - pick an operation, - put a few numbers into a picture, - run the operation. Yes the toolpaths aren't as efficient as they could be but the part is in my hand in record time. (I love the threading - pick the thread op - pick the thread from the standard menu - press go.)

With CAM,- get out the computer, - connect to the machine, - open CAD program and draw the part that you have the print for (FAGOR guy already has the part made here), - transfer to CAM program, - make your MOPS, - post process it, - open DNC program, - make MCS ready for transfer, - send program to MCS, - run the program (yea!).
    You can make great toolpaths with way more machining operations, everything is customizable/over ridable.
    I wouldn't be without CAM for the complicated aerospace parts, but 95% of MY work is easiest with conversational.
    My employees all find the conversational simple but most can't get the hang of the CAM.
    Think of how much money can be saved without the extra CAM computer and the expense of CAM software.

My POV

www.integratedmechanical.ca

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your HURCO Mills can run Industry Standard IN (FANUC). This an
    Option that can be added easily to any new ULTIMAX or WINMAX Control.
    By adding the ISNC & Productivity Package You Get the best of Both Worlds

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I run about 99 percent of our parts using conversational programming. These are parts that we make for NASA and with the exception of some complex 3D profiles I find it very easy to use. We use Pro M Wildfire for our CAM package for parts that we can't program on the machine.

Bernie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hurco Tips

Well if you need any help I may be able to help with some of it. And if Brooks set your machine up and gave the training then it must have been Tom who you dealt with, so that means you are in New England. I have been using them for 18 years now and I also do the regular way thru CAM and G code on other machines and sometimes on the Hurco. Feel free to PM me and we can work something out face to face if you wish.
    Remember that a Hurco is a Hurco. Not a HASS, FADAL, MORI or anything else.It is a Hurco. Run it like a Hurco unless you have the full NC package and are going to G-Code all of the programs.
    It is quick and easy for about 75% of the stuff you will ever do especially if you use the DXF function. Realy complex stuff with 3D and complex geometry is still best to G-Code. It can be done conversational but the machine sits while you program. Yeah the post is long, oh well

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down

Well, All I can say is open up the Hurco programing manual read a few pages, then go over to the machine and give try it. If that don't work. Read some more. I would suggest making a simple part like drilling and taping a hole and mill the sides to length. and maybe a square or round pocket. That will show you all the basic info. that you will need to know about the control and build off from there.

Before you start making any tool paths though, It's helpful if you define your Tool Setup (F2 from input screen) first because it use tool information to help you program (ex. tool type, size, coolant, RPM or SFM and chipload).

Another thing you might have to play around with the the Program Parameters (F4) to adjust your retract hight and finish stock/overlap and lead in/out for pocket milling routines.

With Hurco programing, they are 4 basic types of programing "blocks" (F3) (there are others but this will sum it up)

Hole blocks - used for drilling,tapping,reaming,boring holes.
    Milling blocks - used for milling contours,facing,pockets,engraving
    Pattern Blocks - used for repeating hole or mill blocks a differnet locations or angles/rotation
    Change Parmeters- used for adjusting Program Parmeters when needed

You must also enter in your part offset under Part Setup (F1)

I hope this helps

I would like to disagree a CAM comment posted earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by inkydo69 View Post
    It cant be done lol.
    But i know how well the Hurcos run and yes they are ok but for the most part you still cant beat a good Cam Programmer. Dont get the wrong idea i think Hurcos have there place. I just think it takes 3 times longer to program them over a cam system like mastercam.
    I would like to respectably disagree with inkydo69 that you cant beat a good CAM Programmer. If you have some that is just as good in the Hurco control as the CAM programmer, he can beat the CAM programmer by running the current job out, while back round editing on the same machine at the same time.

I know for myself, I'll never be as efficient on a CAM system because I don't like chasing the mouse around the screen to program my parts AND create geometry. If you only give a print of simple part (no CAD file of any type) that needs to be taped, c-bores, reamed and milled to length, all I have to do is define my tools and tool path, pickup tool/part offset and press cycle start. Where as a CAM system, would have to draw the part, create the tool path, post it, send it to the machine, walk to the machine, find your tool/part offsets, press cycle start. And after all of that, you will have several different file types which you will have to save in different locations if you want to run the part again at a later time where as on the Hurco control, It's all located under one file.

I will admit that it's would hard to compete with the Hurco control vs. a good CAM system in 3D type work though. because you can program off the solid model. You will also probably be able to print up better setup notes off the CAM system vs the Hurco control.

Bottom line - the success of the Hurco control depends on the talent from the people on the SHOP floor, Not the people in the programming office.

Last edited by glovebox20; 10-12-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I sell a manual! I will go and bump it to the top of the page for tomorrow.

Jetski (alias Tooling and Engineering Czar)
    "I may not have the keys to success.. but I have learned to pick the locks"