Build Thread Re-build Hawk 5m X and Y

Thread: Re-build Hawk 5m X and Y

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re-build Hawk 5m X and Y

A few months back I began having a growling sound accompanied by a thunk at higher feed speeds. Repeatability of movements was getting bad and after chasing probable causes I opted for a partial table rebuild.

I started by pulling the gaurd covers off the x and y motor/ball screw exposing the mounting tentioner plate, belt, and ball screw drive pulley

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Re-build Hawk 5m X and Y-1509636565023-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You may need to jog the table to get good access at the ends underneath the covers will look like this. But with the belt and top pulley still on. X and Y are identical in this aspect. To remove the belt loosten the four bolts on the servo plate and slide the servo and plate upward. This will slack the belt and allow you to remove it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Re-build Hawk 5m X and Y-1509895639613-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The drive pulleys can now be removed. There is no timing needed you can mark positions if you wish but I did not. To remove the pullys take out the four bolts in the face this will allow you to next take the tension out of the double cone lock bushing holding it to the saft. More then likely it will not slide off at this point. Using a soft hammer or tapping device (I used a lead hammer) tap the pulley toward the table, be sure its only the pulley and not the shaft. This should loosten it and allow you to pull them off. Be sure to note orrientation of the stainless conical lock bushings in the pulley or on the shaft. Behind the top pulley the bearing cap lock nut and star washer will be exposed. The servo should just be a shaft now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Re-build Hawk 5m X and Y-1509897084779-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I next removed the servos and mounting/tension plates. Take the screws out out the backside hold the servo in place. Ne sure there is no power and you have disconect the cable from the servo via the military style screw conection where the cable and servo mate. I marked the servo to the coorisponding axis to be safe. With the servo out you can pull the mounting plates, this will help with the y axis in a few steps later. The servos will have rectangular plates being held by two screws. This is the access to the brushes on the baldor dc drives. Pull off the plates and make sure no oil or coolant is under them and the gaskets are still good. Removimg the plastic caps with a flat head will let the brushes to be pulled, they are under spring tension use caution. Inspect the brushes and clean excess carbon. You can also clean the contact area in the servo with a non shedding soft object and electric cleaner. Do not allow it to bind and possibley allow foreign material inside. Once clean install the brushes. Next you can pull the back cap off the servo to gain acess to the roatary encoder. Make sure it is secure and not cracked ect.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Re-build Hawk 5m X and Y-1509900482896-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I Now removed the baering/locknut cap by pulling the three bolts out. Next I bent the locking tab on the washer back to strait. Using a soft punch or tool you can now remove the reataining nut and washer. To get the baerings out I reinstalled the pulley and and tension cover with the lock busongs and tightened enough to allow me to rotate the shaft by hand. I then pulled the tapered gib adjusters to loosten the table. Once out you can now rotate the saft to push the two angular thrust face bearings out. Take note of orientation this does matter as they should have markings for match points and opposed orientation they come as a matched set.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Re-build Hawk 5m X and Y-1510953559898-jpg   Re-build Hawk 5m X and Y-1509648432186-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Once the y axis bearings are out you can rotate the ball screw and slide the table to give acess to the ball nut and mount in the sadle. Disconect the oil line be carefull and slow the lones easily bend and crimp closed or break off. Gentley move the line clear and unbolt the ball portion of the screw. A gentle yank should pop it free be sure all of the oil line fitings have been removed or it will not come out. The x axis is almost the same except for the back side bearing support and cap. Pull the cap rotate the ballscrew and push the table the bearing should pop out. Disconect the oiler line and fitings on the x axis ballnut rotate the screw to get axis to the mount and demount the nut. Pull the ballscrew assymbally. DO NOT uncscrew the ballscrew out of the ball nut compleatly or vise versa ball nut off screw! THIS WILL RUIN THE ASSYMBALLY UNTILL THE TINY BALLS INSIDE ARE REPLACED. Have a professional rework the assymbally or buy new assemballies. HIWIN can make them you must provide them with the measurments and lead.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Re-build Hawk 5m X and Y-1509636565023-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Once everything has been pulled you can move your table by hand and clean out the ways. Also inspect areas for abnormal wear or excessive corrotion. Preventative maintnence is a machine saver. If you had a clunk under high feed rate shifts it could be over compemsation in the scree map or bad thrust bearings. The bearings can be ordered as identical fafnir matching sets they are over 1k us a set and each axis uses two thease are abec9 bearings as far as i could tell. I opted for a matched set of nsk abec7 bearings for undet 300 a set which are working fine for me. The backside x axis bearing is a generic bearing and was around 10 bucks. The belts were easily sourced as well. I will do a assymbally set of posts when i again get some time. I am not a profesional this is my first hand experience only I am responsable for nothing or any accuracy. This project is 100% your endevor and your determination of your skillset and knoledge to compleate. I hope it is imformantive and helpfull to whomever deems it usefull any alteration or input is welcome... sorry for the junk grammer and spelling its my weakness in life.