Newbie Hurco Hawk 5 Cat 40 Z-axis Zero Location

Thread: Hurco Hawk 5 Cat 40 Z-axis Zero Location

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hurco Hawk 5 Cat 40 Z-axis Zero Location

Trying to measure the length of a reference tool in order to be able to input tool lengths in my Dynapath controller.

My question is where is the z-axis zero point?

Is it at the end of the quill or is it on the top of the flange of my cat 40 tool holder?
    As I am sure you are aware that when you install a cat 40 tool holder into the quill there is a gap between the top flange of the tool holder and the end of the quill.
    This gap is not the same with every tool holder I have, so I am assuming you should measure from the face of the quill.

The reason I ask is because I was watching a youtube video on how to measure tool length, this person set the tool holder up side down on some gauge blocks to measure length. This would not allow for the varying gap that is between the quill and tool holder.

Thanks
    Lonnie

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GWARRENINC View Post
    Trying to measure the length of a reference tool in order to be able to input tool lengths in my Dynapath controller.

My question is where is the z-axis zero point?

Is it at the end of the quill or is it on the top of the flange of my cat 40 tool holder?
    As I am sure you are aware that when you install a cat 40 tool holder into the quill there is a gap between the top flange of the tool holder and the end of the quill.
    This gap is not the same with every tool holder I have, so I am assuming you should measure from the face of the quill.

The reason I ask is because I was watching a youtube video on how to measure tool length, this person set the tool holder up side down on some gauge blocks to measure length. This would not allow for the varying gap that is between the quill and tool holder.

Thanks
    Lonnie

The hawk 5m zeros its z axis spindle during calibration. You have 6 inches of travel in the negitive z. To calibrate a cutting tool you need a presetter gauge. I would find one of decent quality the cheap ones are generaly not worth the cost.

What you do is after calibration. Mount your part and zero your x,y point for that program. Then manually set your first tool number. Go back to the input screen. Put that tool in the spindle. Tell the machine to pragram a tool input the tool number. Set the presetter on your part. Use your teach pendant to jog the tool down to the presetter. When the gauge reads the correct ofset. Arrow key to the z axis and press the zero button. Then press the positive key to cycle yhe tool up. Then hand type the diffrence in the z setting so ofset is acounted for. Now that tool is set to that part program
    Repeate for each tool being used to cut on that program.