Need Help! CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005) - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)

Hi
    Still got problems with errors on ATC.

Have been asked to "check if data in in the N95 and N96 still remain" but not sure what this means?
    If it is the CMOS settings they still remain when I remember to save them ie Esc- F10?

CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)-error-cmos-jpg CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)-20170721_160011-jpg

Anyone got any ideas?

Burgs

Downloads
    Uploads

I would expect the ATC error in the first photo is from the Hurco control software
    I think it wants you manualy cycle the ATC - may be its not locked in position?

the second photo is the first page of the mother boards bios setup so it knows how to access the hard drive , set the time & date etc
    I would not expect the Hurco mill software to store any parameters in the M48T86PC1 RTC

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John
    Not sure what is going on, but I could see there not being anything wrong with the ATC, Hurco want me to check the parameters but I cannot access them because the power will not turn onto the main keyboard to allow me to jump into the Auxiliary screen.
    I may have the CMOS settings wrong, and I think when I originally started it there were some default settings loaded, that could have been the parameters?
    The information I have been given, is a bit hard to follow but I did a bit of searching and now think I have it correct.
    The HDD had been changed before I bought and is now fitted with a Hitachi DK23EB20 (20GB)
    CMOS Settings
    Hard disc type = user
    Size = blank
    Cylinders = 16383 (from HDD)
    Head = 16 (from HDD)
    Sectors = 63 (from HDD
    Mode = LBA (when selected this converts to)
    Size = 8447M
    Cylinders = 1027
    Heads = 255
    Sectors = 63

Esc out, F10 save, and the same error comes up and when I reboot date and other settings are gone, looks as though it is not saving to CMOS, I may have killed it, at least the battery error doesn't show up .

Have to wait till Monday I guess now.
    Regards
    Burgs

Downloads
    Uploads

Cylinders 3303
    Heads 16
    Wpcomp 65535
    Lzone 0
    Sectors 63

Set them in CHS then change it to LBA

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bloke
    How do you set them in CHS?
    When going through the settings there is no CHS, only Normal, LBA, and Auto, there are other lists though, 1 to #? that I found by paging down.
    I did try as above as you suggest but not sure totally as you have written but do know Cylinders was 3303 heads 16 as it came with the information from Hurco.
    Thanks for chiming in also.
    Best regards
    Burgs

Downloads
    Uploads

Set them in Normal if you don't have the CHS option there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I will give it a go in the morning, bit cold at the moment down to 2C which is very cold for this Aussie, besides that, it is Beer O'clock.
    Regards
    Burgs

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bloke
    Reset CMOS settings as per advice all except WPcomp missed it, and still the same result.
    Turned machine off and restarted and it hung up at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" Photo1
    Changed CMOS parameters but the computer hung up at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" Photo1.
    There was no WPcomp but there was a Precomp so entered WPcomp figures there?
    Saved and same result.
    Restarted and it locked at DMI again, Hit F1 button and it changed the CMOS setting to default Photo 2, and went through to the main screen again with the ATC error but no main keyboard.
    If I read correctly/understand there were changes with CHS in the distance past and when you select LBA this converts/calculates the CHS settings back to what it should be (WikiLeaks).
    So I can only assume with the 20G HDD was modified/partitioned to suit the Machine?
    Noticed if I restart the machine within a few minutes the CMOS are retained, but overnight they disappear.

CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)-photo-1-jpg CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)-photo-2-jpg CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)-photo-3-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok learning bits and pieces here and there.
    Fitted new RTC today reset CMOS and BIOS settings, and had one success at least got rid of the Floppy drive error, but still comes up with "ATC Error Spindle Clamp Input Not Detected".
    CMOS now set as per Bloke but with LBA selected.
    After speaking to the chap who fixes my computers, he said as the Hurco screen comes up there should not be any problems with the hard drive and settings, he said most likely an issue with the program and to reload it, this I would do only when I bought the machine it didn't come with the setup discs, and he said he didn't get them when he bought it either?
    Have requested a set from Hurco not sure how I will go though, they just emailed back no they don't have any in Singapore?
    What now I think I might CALL Beer O'clock and drown my sorrows so to speak.
    CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)-atc-error-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been kept away from the computer for a few days
    yesterday was spent re-loading all the third party software windows removed after it failed to finish its latest update -
    I expect MS will say its a feature of windows not a bug - at least all my files survived ,

maybe your old RTC was damaged by static

the only other Hurco thread I answered several years ago - Rebuild Hurco Power Supply with PC Power Supply VMX30
    (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hurco/...facturing.html)
    winmax.shell had been corrupted when the power supply failed

one odd occurrence I remember with my first computer ( 486 DX computer )
    the mother board with an American Megatrends bios could format the hard drive !!
    I remember one time I must of let it incorrectly format the drive - the auto detected values was different to those on the label
    I still have the IBM 133Mb IDE drive

I thought DOS had installed OK but it would not boot from the hard drive
    every thing was on the hard drive so the only thing I can think of the vital boot file was in the wrong place on the hard drive for the mother board to find !!!
    it worked when I manually setup the drive to 1023CYL 16 HEADS 17 SEC/T and re-formatted it

fingers crossed , I hope a VMX42 user can supply a copy of the installation disks to get you going

John

Downloads
    Uploads

What version of software are you running on it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bloke
    Version 2.33.34A/2.02.11A (May 4 2005)
    I was able to get into the Auxiliary screen early last night, and go through the F96 and N95 parameters took a lot of photos of each screen as there were quite a few things different to what was on the list I have been given to check against.

CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)-hurco-config-jpg

regards
    Burgs

Downloads
    Uploads

Burgs
    I kinda got lost in this thread,
    Can You power up the servos? if YES go in to the atc diagnostics page then unclamp the spindle using the manual button on the head. Do you see it change states to unclamped, the ATC error could be as simple as a stuck switch on the clamp cylinder?
    Dou you have a configuration back up disk for the machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Powerr
    No cannot power up the servos, don't get that far the error code comes up as the Screen Lights up, no power to servos or main keyboard.
    We got to the auxiliary screen by Alt A.
    Now walking through the F96 and N95 Parameters as they believe they had got shuffled around.
    I have taken photos of the parameters and been cross referencing them with what I been given, so far there are a lot more parameters in the machine than what is in the list.
    No Backup disc didn't come with the machine I am 3rd owner, last owner didn't get them either.

CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)-20170724_185145-jpg

Burgs

Last edited by Burgs; 07-24-2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added photo

Downloads
    Uploads

You have no 24v DC by the looks of things. There is either something pulling the voltage down or the 24v section of the supply has failed. Remove all of the orange plugs to the card rack and remove the cover. There is a little board on the other side of the sockets where the plugs were plugged in, check the outermost two test points to see if the voltage is there with nothing connected.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bloke
    Not sure what you mean with the orange plugs are they the ones on the front right hand side at the bottom and the screws the 4 button head mounting screws?

CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)-20170717_120317-jpg

Burgs

Downloads
    Uploads

Bottom right in your picture. remove those plugs and check the outermost two little white test points on the board they are plugged into. If you measure 24v DC, then the supply seems OK. plug the plugs back in and check again. If the 24v disappears, you have a short somewhere.

Edit to add:
    Bottom test point is 0v
    going upwards from there, you should have (relative to the 0v)
    -12v
    5v
    +12v
    24v

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bloke
    If I have it correct I tested the top two white posts and then the bottom two.
    Top with plugs out 10.7Vdc
    Bottom with Plugs out 17.1 Vdc
    Top with plugs out 11.1 Vdc
    Bottom with Plugs in 17.1 Vdc
    My meter is not that accurate but would be within a volt or two if this is the correct place to check then by the looks of it it doesn't look good for the unit.

CMOS Battery Failed VMX42 (2005)-power-unit-test-jpg

Burgs

Downloads
    Uploads

you need to check between the bottom point (the one on its own) and the top point (24v)

Downloads
    Uploads

Well
    24.2 and 24.2 Vdc
    What now, what about the 5Vdc side?
    Burgs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast