HURCO VM1 - Control Display not working - Video card, backplane board, CMOS battery?

Thread: HURCO VM1 - Control Display not working - Video card, backplane board, CMOS battery?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry HURCO VM1 - Control Display not working - Video card, backplane board, CMOS battery?

Hello,

I purchased this VM1 (2008) about a year ago used and shortly after receiving the machine and running, the display would intermittantley not fire up. That is, when I turn the main power on to the machine
    using the switch on the back, everything seems to fire up fine. All fans come on, etc. The display screen says 'No Signal' and then just stays black.

Normally when this happens, I can just turn the machine down and then fire it up again and it comes up. It may take 2-3 starts and it comes up.

When this started happening, I contacted Hurco and we discussed the possibility of the video board being bad or the Nexcom backplane board being bad. They also had me check several voltage points for verification
    and all checked out OK.

I removed the video board (2 port) and plugged the VGA cable into the back of the mother board. It seem to experience the same results i.e. random fire up of the display.

Today, I can not get the machine display to fire up. I removed the VGA board, cleaned the edge connector and re-seated. I did the same with the motherboard. I cleaned all of the edge contacts and re-seated.

I checked all of the plugs on the back of the box to make sure they were seated properly. I am getting the same results. No display.

So, doing some reading, it is my understanding (although rare) that the CMOS battery may be toast? Could this be causing the problem with the display? I see that the CMOS battery is located on the motherboard and is a 2032 3V coin style battery.

I purchased a new 2032 3V battery today, but have not tried to install. I am afraid that if it is not the problem, I could remove the CMOS battery and replace and then lose my BIOS settings if it was wrong. Some say that the BIOS settings will remain
    fine if I made the switch within 30 seconds or so. What is the proper procedure for replacing the CMOS battery? I can not see the display to backup the BIOS, etc.

In addition, I plugged an additional external monitor in that I have here. I tried several of the ports and still get no display on it either. So, I suspect it is either a CMOS battery or Nexcom backplane board. The only thing about he Nexcom board, it 'How does
    something like that go bad on a 2008 machine?" From what I can see, this backplane board is just a dumb board. There are a few red LED's that light up, but It seems it does not provide anything but a place to insert other cards. It seems to be mounted
    good and rigid, etc.

Not sure where to go from here. Replace the CMOS battery? How, so I don't lose any settings. Or, Nexcom backplane board?

Please let me know if you have experienced anything like this before, or might have an idea of where to go from here.

I have attached a couple of pictures for your reference.

Thank You,
    Mike