work coordinate system

Thread: work coordinate system

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default work coordinate system

im trying to get a better grasp in how to setup the orgin in hsmexpress. i drew in a rectangular shaped part (longer vertically oriented) and would like to machine the part with xy rotated 90° so the longer end lies across the x axis. there are no flat shapes on the part where i could normally set the origin. so what is the easies way to rotate the part or tell hsm where the x&y axis are? i tries making a new coordinate location but i couldn't flip the the x&y axis. must i be doing something incorrect? or is it not possible?!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: work coordinate system

I usually put the part into an assembly so I can create another part for the stock and use mates to line everything up correctly. The job and WCS are defined based on the stock part and not the part you are machining. This way you can usually get away with not using a custom coordinate system. It also lets you model in any fixtures and keeps the part file clean.

Are you using Solidworks or Inventor? Can you attach the part file you want to machine?

C|

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

am using solidworks, will see about attaching file later tomorrow. thanks for the reply

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

here's the part of which i am trying to setup the coordinate system...

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's how I would set it up. I'm still on SW2013 so I had to export your file to a parasolid and import it back. It should open fine but will auto convert to 2014 if you save it.

I also created a coordinate system with the axes rotated from what's in the assembly. It's not used but you can see how it's done. To change the axis directions you toggle the buttons to the left of where you select the entities for x/y/z. The directions can be toggled even if nothing is selected for that axis. It's a bit weird at first but pretty simple once you figure it out.

C|

Attached Files Attached Files